San Bernardino County Fire Ambulance Operator

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
I got invited to move on to take the written test for the EMT AO spot. Does anyone know what topics are on the test?

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
I got invited to move on to take the written test for the EMT AO spot. Does anyone know what topics are on the test?
If you have common sense you should pass.
All I know is no benefits and less pay than AMR good luck!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

onrope

Forum Crew Member
If you have common sense you should pass.
All I know is no benefits and less pay than AMR good luck!

You really should do a few minutes of research before speaking poorly of a position to avoid looking stupid. The EMT AO spot is full time with superior benefits and a pension. The pay is comparable to any 24hr rate that an EMT makes in SoCal.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
You really should do a few minutes of research before speaking poorly of a position to avoid looking stupid. The EMT AO spot is full time with superior benefits and a pension. The pay is comparable to any 24hr rate that an EMT makes in SoCal.
Last I heard which was granted a while back when it started, no benefits. You should come off alot nicer for mistaken information and share corrected information than look like an indecent human being. A master is one who learns from failure one who is not a master repeats mistakes.

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry if im coming off as a jerk or taking it like a jerk response.

wfw65

Forum Ride Along
The San Bernardino County Fire Department is accepting applications for Ambulance Operator-Paramedic. This is a full-time, non-represented position with excellent benefits; overtime eligible after 40 hours/week.

Note: NON-REPRESENTED with county benefits and pension.

24-Hour Shift Rate: $11.98 - $16.51
Hourly rate based on 24-Hour shift; overtime pay after 40 hours; most assignments are 56-hour work-weeks.
Next Salary Increase in July of 2017.

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
The San Bernardino County Fire Department is accepting applications for Ambulance Operator-Paramedic. This is a full-time, non-represented position with excellent benefits; overtime eligible after 40 hours/week.

Note: NON-REPRESENTED with county benefits and pension.

24-Hour Shift Rate: $11.98 - $16.51
Hourly rate based on 24-Hour shift; overtime pay after 40 hours; most assignments are 56-hour work-weeks.
Next Salary Increase in July of 2017.

whats a 56 hr work week? so are there non 24 hr shifts? system status or something?

onrope

Forum Crew Member
They are on the 4/6 kelly schedule except for the yucca ambulances which are on the 48/96. All ambulances are out of fire stations, not ssm.

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
They are on the 4/6 kelly schedule except for the yucca ambulances which are on the 48/96. All ambulances are out of fire stations, not ssm.

oh ok. i understand a 4/6 kelly but how is a 4/6 kelly also known as "56hr work week?" just can't wrap my head around it. lol

Uclabruin103

Forum Lieutenant
A 56 hour work week is basically the 10 24-hour shifts you work a month divided by 4. So every week you work 56-hours. If you want to get technical, that simplified explanation doesn't account for the FSLA period.

This job qualifies for full benefits including a retirement, health, vision, and dental. I also think there's included life and LDD, but don't quote me.

You will be in house in the stations, and on calls you will be the medic with assistance from the engine medic. If the engine gets on scene first then you'll get a report and take over PT care.

ICEMA is a good County to work in with fairly progressive protocols. We will be losing ped intubation, procainamide, and Verapamil, so that'll suck in the next two weeks.

Good luck if you choose to apply.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
On a 56 hour work week the amount of hours you work per week on the rotating schedule averages out to 56 hours per week over the course of the year.

We work 24/48 where I'm at so we end up having a 48 hour week, a 56 hour week or a 64 our week depending on how the rotation falls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onrope

Forum Crew Member
I logged in this morning to a wonderful target safety update telling me I will no longer be able to intubate peds or use procainamide or verapamil on october 15th. I suppose the only positive is we are now being told to not use lsb at all except for extrication and to immediately remove someone from it.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I logged in this morning to a wonderful target safety update telling me I will no longer be able to intubate peds or use procainamide or verapamil on october 15th. I suppose the only positive is we are now being told to not use lsb at all except for extrication and to immediately remove someone from it.
How many stations are the AO's deployed out of now?

Are there plans to run AMR completely out of transporting in the unincorporated parts of San Bernardino County?

Any plans on putting AO rigs in "The City" since taking over that now defunct department?

onrope

Forum Crew Member
How many stations? 9

That is the long term goal

No, AMR has 201 rights and the contract for transport and until that changes they will transport all calls in the city. The only real change in 201 rights recently was Baker Ambulance ceasing their operation in baker and turning it over to the county which now staffs a Medic Engine and AO ambulance out of FS53.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
How many stations? 9

That is the long term goal

No, AMR has 201 rights and the contract for transport and until that changes they will transport all calls in the city. The only real change in 201 rights recently was Baker Ambulance ceasing their operation in baker and turning it over to the county which now staffs a Medic Engine and AO ambulance out of FS53.
So Baker Ambulance is no more, huh?

I hear they get their fair share of carnage and have to utilize Mercy Air's Nevada bases frequently way up there, don't quote me on this though.

onrope

Forum Crew Member
Baker ambulance exists in their namesake for now, barely surviving off running transfers from CRMC and la paz regional. They have been losing money for a bit and entered into a contract with the county last year to subsidize their operation in Baker to the tune of 10k+ a month. Apparently that was not enough and they ceased operations out there. The is talk that within the next year or two the whole operation will cease to be presumably turned over to the county, their EOA covers most of the 95 south to basically the 62 including the community of Havasu Landing as well as out near Ludlow on the 40.

The baker area sees an incredible amount of high mechanism trauma and death. These are serious calls with critical patients where manpower and resources are limited. Yes air ambulances are frequently used, mercy, careflight and even native sometimes get in on the mix depending on whose available and weather.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Baker ambulance exists in their namesake for now, barely surviving off running transfers from CRMC and la paz regional. They have been losing money for a bit and entered into a contract with the county last year to subsidize their operation in Baker to the tune of 10k+ a month. Apparently that was not enough and they ceased operations out there. The is talk that within the next year or two the whole operation will cease to be presumably turned over to the county, their EOA covers most of the 95 south to basically the 62 including the community of Havasu Landing as well as out near Ludlow on the 40.

The baker area sees an incredible amount of high mechanism trauma and death. These are serious calls with critical patients where manpower and resources are limited. Yes air ambulances are frequently used, mercy, careflight and even native sometimes get in on the mix depending on whose available and weather.
Yeah, the geographical size and layout of that county never ceases to amaze me.

A former paramedic trainee of mine left here to work for SBCoFD as a AO-paramedic not too long ago. It seems like a legit set up that they got going on out there.

ICEMA truly is a hidden gem of an EMS system in California, IMO; bonus points for the pension.

Do they push for, or hire paramedic intent of crossing over into suppression, or are they fairly open to, and accepting of paramedics sticking it out on the box as long as they wish?

onrope

Forum Crew Member
Yeah, the geographical size and layout of that county never ceases to amaze me.

A former paramedic trainee of mine left here to work for SBCoFD as a AO-paramedic not too long ago. It seems like a legit set up that they got going on out there.

ICEMA truly is a hidden gem of an EMS system in California, IMO; bonus points for the pension.

Do they push for, or hire paramedic intent of crossing over into suppression, or are they fairly open to, and accepting of paramedics sticking it out on the box as long as they wish?

The San Bernardino County Fire Department AO program is the largest and most well compensated overall IMO in the state of California, especially in the EMT position. Rialto makes more per hour but the benefits are not as good and the EMTs are part time. I may be partial but the word is out, AMR can't keep anyone worth a damn because they all come over. Of course we also only hire the best as you must be able to work in a fire station with suppression crews and some people can't handle that, or the increased responsibility we give them.

ICEMA is great but slowly changing for the worse, peds intubation is going. We are still light years ahead of any surrounding county including Kern when it comes to overall protocols and treatment options prior to BHC.

Paramedics are encouraged to apply for Firefighter if they chose so. It is also fine to work as a medic as it is designed and compensated as a career position. As you can imagine a lot of people use it for experience and as a way in the department, it works great for both parties. I was never an AO so I can't speak to how they feel overall but most seem to be trying to obtain fire jobs. A few want to be career medics and have found a good home and we welcome both types.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
ICEMA is great but slowly changing for the worse, peds intubation is going.
Just curious, why would you think this makes a change for the worse?

Time and time again prehospital intubation comes into question in the adult population alone, and it's actual efficacy.

To take away a "high speed low drag" skill such as pediatric intubation isn't anything surprisingly new, but most importantly, what research is there to support its continued significance in the field?