Sad video; don't know what to make of this

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I just watched this video. It's pretty sad but I also kept wondering what the cops were doing.

WARNING: this video contains graphic images that some views might find disturbing.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=147_1324568549

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Wow, that's terrible... Like you said, noble effort, but wow...

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
As... wrong as all of that was, I can see how what they were doing would make sense to someone with no medical knowledge. Kid drowned, oh so he must have inhaled water, lets turn him upside down and try to get the water out of him, then massage it out of his lungs if that doesn't work.

VCEMT

Forum Captain
Wow, did the PD rider go along if they needed to stop and run more circles? The kicker was the doc and nurse that were in the ambulance. I thought the nurse was driving.

Those Stooges...

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow, did the PD rider go along if they needed to stop and run more circles? The kicker was the doc and nurse that were in the ambulance. I thought the nurse was driving.

Those Stooges...

Doc and nurse in the ambulance? I guess I missed that part.

foxfire

Forum Asst. Chief
i don't know much about what they are taught over there. Looks like they were trying to shake/push the water out of the lungs. I don't see it quite barbaric as some might. I see it as untrained people trying to do what they think is right to save a child. There are so many things that are not mentioned in the clip. How far away was medical professonals? Was there any to begin with? I noted a hoe in one of the bystanders hand, which leads me to suspect that this happened in a farming area.
I agree that things should be done better, but there are alot of things in this world that should be better.
The kid is lucky to be alive.
Doctors and nurses? where did I miss them?

Last edited by a moderator:

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
That is quite tragic. However, like others have said, it just seems like some people who were trying to do the right thing in a way that made sense to them. It's easy to look at this from the point of a healthcare provider and think "what the hell were they doing?", but from the point of an untrained bystander those "treatments" made sense and they did everything they could for this child. Either way, I commend them for their efforts.

OP
OP
bstone

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
How about that, I missed the second video. The doc and nurse scooped up the kid and zoomed out of there pretty quickly. I hope they had him intubated, IV access and EKG on lickidysplit.

Anjel

Forum Angel
That is very sad.

But I am not going to say what they did was horrific. You can see the distress and worry in the officers face. He was doing anything he could think of to save that poor child.

It is sad that they dont have any formal training. But it is china where EMS is much different.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That is very sad.

But I am not going to say what they did was horrific. You can see the distress and worry in the officers face. He was doing anything he could think of to save that poor child.

It is sad that they dont have any formal training. But it is china where EMS is much different.

Absolutely. I can't even imagine how helpless the officers must have felt. Hopefully the department learns from this an possibly furthers the education in first response first aid for their officers.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
I think I will have to have a chat with our med director and get our protocols changed :wacko:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
1940's drowning resuscitation

Essentially the same as what's in my late Dad's 1941 Bluejacket's Manual.

Short term resumption of respiration is possible after short-term immersion mediated suffocation; trick is get the epiglottis to unclamp then resume tidal interchange. Swallowed water drains out too, and rescuers think it comes from the lungs.

I was very surprised to see the kid blinking and gasping at the end, but the lack of eye tracking and agonal nature of the resps suggest that the was not going to end well.

Cops did their best, need training and orientation to do better. No bystander CPR or rescue breathing? (video starts with police on scene). I liked that the police did not try to take the camera, although they looked right at it several times and once an officer moved between the camera and the victim to screen, I think.

Nice product placement at the end for FORD Transit (kidding)

JPINFV

Gadfly
Worse Chinese fire drill... evar.

DaisyDuke

Forum Ride Along
Someone please explain what tbat was about! Do they een know what CPR is over there my gosh! Note to self NEVER go over seas! Looked like they were trying to play tag but forgot the rules!:excl:

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
Sure they are just uneducated. I see no reason to look down on them for trying what they seemed might work. I'm not familiar with their ems training over there but I'm sure if they knew the proper way to give CPR, they would do it.

Anjel

Forum Angel

DaisyDuke

Forum Ride Along
Now don't get me wrong they put up a great effort! I just have never seen anything like that before! It just struck he hard thats all