Provider Validation

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I know somebody mentioned this in another thread, and that it's been mentioned before, but considering what went on recently, I thought I'd bring it up again.

I think, and I'm sure many others would agree with me, that there should be a way that the forum staff "confirm" or "validate" that somebody has the training level and certification that they claim they do. It wouldn't be all that hard (each person would just have to email or upload a copy of their certification), and it would with almost 100% accuracy get rid of this problem of people faking certifications. On top of that, people reading posts would be able to know that the words they're reading are from qualified individuals.

Once somebody was "validated" as who they say they are, they could have some sort of title that only admins could create or bestow (or perhaps a different color title).

Another thought would be that only admins could enter information into the "Training" area. Once they get validation, they could put the information there.

If this is something that is possible, I'd be more than happy to help out if need be.

Thoughts?

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
I agree to this!

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I agree to this!

If I remember correctly (probably not :wacko:) you were the one who mentioned this recently! :p

Edit: Nevermind, it was frdude1000 lol

Last edited by a moderator:

EMS49393

Forum Captain
It wouldn't bother me at the admin level, but I don't want to post my numbers out there for just anyone. I just looked up my number on the NR site and it shows my full name. It doesn't show my address or any other personal information. It doesn't even show state of practice. I just don't want my full name disclosed to complete strangers.

I'm not sure how this would work for non-registry states. My state requires NR to be licensed as a paramedic, however there is no online verification system in place in the state.

I agree this could help some of the new people learn who can be trusted and who can't be trusted for information. It would also weed out the posers.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
As I said in the other thread, not interested

I can be just as hsppy reading post without going through the extra trouble just to be able to post

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Disagree. I could easily look up an EMT, Paramedic, RN, or whatever, and claim to be them from that State. My knowledge might not back it up, and people would sense that (e.g. Tom who claimed to be a Paramedic from London), and that's why I think it's better to leave it as it remains. Rob was an outlier who had a lot of knowledge in chem which made him believable. Even with this new system, who could have gone by another name, and the same deal would have happened preventing nothing, and possibly exposing people who are legit here, or giving identity issue to those who don't even know about EMTLife.

8jimi8

CFRN
The most important lesson is to learn from books, or reputable accredited sources.

the interdnet is none of the above.

If you are getting your emt training from EMTLife, get out of my scene.

Your information should be coming from an accredited institution. If you have not started paramedic school by january 1, 2012, you MUST start at an accredited institution.

Hurrah for a giant leap forward toward consolidation of minimum requirements to practice.

i have posted my full name before, i've nothing to hide. I'd submit my credentials, I actually did submit them to an admin at one point, of my own volition.

That doesn't mean every word I say is golden.

OP
OP
medichopeful

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
If you have not started paramedic school by january 1, 2012, you MUST start at an accredited institution.

Hurrah for a giant leap forward toward consolidation of minimum requirements to practice.

Is this something new or am I missing something? o_O

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
NREMT requirement that goes into effect next year.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
As it is my idea, I would be happy to assist in this project in any way :)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Bad idea...and here's why.

1) A member's credentials listed in their profile do not equal their value as a contributing member here.

2) This is an anonymous forum. Other than certain information required by law and to combat spam, we do NOT know who our members are.

3) A verified credential list would require that the Community Leaders maintain a member's real name and enough information to legally identify them. This information could then be sought after in a lawsuit, or by an employer in a legal proceeding. Every post made here could then be tied back to a specific individual. Think about this...every week, we are contacted by a member or an employer to remove or edit a post because they are worried about repercussions or their image. We are almost always threatened with a lawsuit if we don't do what they want. Would you like a post you made about your employer, supervisor, patient, or co-worker to be able to be traced back to you?

4) While we make every effort to safeguard the data we have on members, no system is 100% secure. Given the recent hacks that have happened to major tech companies like Sony and HBGary, we feel this would be too much risk for too little reward.

5) Even with the recent addition of four more CL's, we wouldn't have the time to do it. Between our responsibilities in real life, and our duties here, this would be a tremendous increase in our workload. (Yeah, I can hear all the sympathetic cries of, "Poor CL's" now. ;) )

I've got more reasons that I think this is a bad idea, but I figured we'd start with those for discussion purposes.

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
I dont post often here, but I feel that when I do my posts have some value (at least I like to think so..). If this were to go into effect I would not be seen back. I am sure many others feel the same. In many states, take Iowa for example, there are online databases of every provider. In Iowa this lists your cert number as well as first and last name. It also lists any service you work or volunteer for and the county you currently live in. With all this information it would be very easy for someone to figure out where you live ect.

I do not hide behind my online name as some have put it, but until my places of employment become more progressive I must remain anonymous in places such as here and on my blog.

Tommerag

What day is it?
I understand where everyone is coming from on the topic, but I would have to completely agree with FF and this is not a great idea for the reasons he mentioned as well as others.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I know of 3 members on here who can personally validate seeing my certification in person, state/national, and a handful of others who have me as a friend on their FB who can easily look up my NREMT and state level.

I'm who I say I am :p

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I know of 3 members on here who can personally validate seeing my certification in person, state/national, and a handful of others who have me as a friend on their FB who can easily look up my NREMT and state level.

I'm who I say I am :p

You mean the Boy Scout first aid merit badge? :p

If need be, I'd provide copies of my certs to an admin. As it is, Linuss is employed the same place I am, so we can verify each other.

It really doesn't pay off to pull the kinda crap medicRob did. EMS is a small world. Sooner or later two people are going to start comparing notes.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown is a properly certified Brown, whatever a Brown is

Miss Brown: Dad, what is a Brown?
Brown: I don't know sweetheart, it is a mystery for the ages
Miss Brown: But Dad, the school counsellor said I might have personality disorder, I didn't tick male or female and wrote Brown
Brown: I see honey, would having personality disorder be bad?
Miss Brown: I guess not, after all look who my parents are

/TTP

nemedic

Forum Captain
I have met a handful of people here IRL, but can't say we compared EMT certificates. While I maintain that I am a certified EMT, as FFEMT said, this is an ANONYMOUS forum. While I do not intentionally put forth untrue or wrong information, i am human and mistakes happen. I am one that will probably leave if the cert validation becomes mandatory. If I wanted the forum, and the internet as a whole, to know my real name, I would have used it as the name I registered as, instead of nemedic.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I am exactly what I say I am. I am a Paramedic that holds a Sports Med Bachelor's, who has worked as an Athletic Trainer for 2 years. I worked in EMS for 7 years, both as an EMT and as a Medic. After a few year's hiatus, now I'm on to RN school, starting this August.

Exactly who I am... that's for me to know unless I tell.... :D

JPINFV

Gadfly
Would you like a post you made about your employer, supervisor, patient, or co-worker to be able to be traced back to you?

At the same time, if the only reason someone feels comfortable posting something is because it can't be tied back to them, then should they really be posting it?

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant
At the same time, if the only reason someone feels comfortable posting something is because it can't be tied back to them, then should they really be posting it?

when there is the possibility of employer retaliation for things members post on this forum, i think anonymity is critical...