Provider Validation

JPINFV

Gadfly
when there is the possibility of employer retaliation for things members post on this forum, i think anonymity is critical...

...or a false sense of security. If someone suspects that they know who your online handle is, it's only a matter of time before you say something that confirms their suspicion.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
...or a false sense of security. If someone suspects that they know who your online handle is, it's only a matter of time before you say something that confirms their suspicion.
^^^^
This. Considering I've recruited from here before, it wouldn't be hard to figure out who I am. All the clues are there. The important things are a) be polite (since I'm so good at that one) b) be truthful and c) don't say things that could embarrass your employer online.

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant

that's true for people like myself, who use the same handle for here, our twitter, photobucket account, what have you... and make no concerted effort to shield their personas.

however, there are members who come on here with legitimate questions about potentially illegal actions by their employers, or looking for advice on potentially being dragged into court after a bad call, fights with partners, etc... those types of posters may choose usernames with more discretion, and may not want their identities easily revealed.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief
At the same time, if the only reason someone feels comfortable posting something is because it can't be tied back to them, then should they really be posting it?

Not really, but just as people can become complacent with their patients, they do so online.

I see this as an issue with membership. The key motivation amongst all online forums is growing their membership. If new members come and choose to participate, but their words fall on deaf ears because they didn't have their certs verified, then membership would never grow. Granted there are a lot of members of EMTlife, but there arent a lot of "active" members.*

* no disrespect to the Admin or CL's

JPINFV

Gadfly
however, there are members who come on here with legitimate questions about potentially illegal actions by their employers, or looking for advice on potentially being dragged into court after a bad call, fights with partners, etc... those types of posters may choose usernames with more discretion, and may not want their identities easily revealed.

However, again, does it take much effort to think, "Hey, wasn't it Jim Bob who was complaining about our book cooking last week? Do you think he's related to this boBmiJ person online? Additionally, once that question/concern is answered, that user needs a new name, or else the more he posts, he more likely a connection is made.

To seriously address issues like this, what would be useful would be a "Confidential Consult" forum (link goes to SDN version). Basically if someone has a question or concern, they PM one of the section moderators, who posts the actual thread. Now there's nothing actually linking the person with the problem to the actual thread.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Not really, but just as people can become complacent with their patients, they do so online.

I see this as an issue with membership. The key motivation amongst all online forums is growing their membership. If new members come and choose to participate, but their words fall on deaf ears because they didn't have their certs verified, then membership would never grow. Granted there are a lot of members of EMTlife, but there arent a lot of "active" members.*

* no disrespect to the Admin or CL's

I personally don't care either way. As with everything, though, I'll fight against false arguments (even if it means defending EMS based fire suppression from some stupid argument point). So it's not that I support verification (however an optional system might be something to consider), it's that being able to post sensitive information "anonymously" isn't as important as a lot of people think it is. Of course I'm also someone whose decided to start sharing my real identity online anyways.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
To seriously address issues like this, what would be useful would be a "Confidential Consult" forum (link goes to SDN version). Basically if someone has a question or concern, they PM one of the section moderators, who posts the actual thread. Now there's nothing actually linking the person with the problem to the actual thread.

But legally, if the defecation were to hit the ventilation, my sense is that lawyers would be happy to request the records of the forum, and the CLs would be compelled to state who sent in the question-- voiding the purpose of the process...

JPINFV

Gadfly
But legally, if the defecation were to hit the ventilation, my sense is that lawyers would be happy to request the records of the forum, and the CLs would be compelled to state who sent in the question-- voiding the purpose of the process...

...if they can do that, then they can request the IP address. If they can get your IP address, then they can find out who you are through your ISP, in which case we're back to the same spot.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief

First, I am sooooo glad this motion of credential verification did not pass...I have been hosing you guys for years and was nervous my ruse would finally be revealed!!!

Second, I fully support the quoted part above. I am involved in some other forums that have an anonymous posting section. Quite simply, the mod receives the message and posts it that way no one handle is tied to that initial thread.

The thread has a disclaimer that this is NOT the mods posting as on these other sites people have responded as if the mod did it. Being anonymous has allowed some fantastic topics to develop however and maybe we should consider this here. What do you think?