PPE on ambulances

What type of PPE is kept on your ambulances?

• Helmets

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • Turnout coats

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • Bunker pants & Boots

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • traffic vests

Votes: 34 87.2%
  • Leather work gloves

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • protective eyewear (safety glasses or goggles)

Votes: 33 84.6%
  • PPE? what's that?

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Simple question, what type of PPE do you carry on your ambulances? for PPE, I am referring to turnout gear, helmets, and other protective equipment for use on MVAs and other scenes where PPE might be needed.

for the purpose of this poll, I am asking about dept issued gear that is always with you on the ambulances, or is stocked on your ambulances as standard equipment. Also, the ambulances are not fire department suppression pieces, but strictly EMS units.

I will start, my former agency has a helmet and turnout coat on every ambulance, one set for each crew member

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
DrParasite

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
The last county I worked in require(s) helmet, coat, traffic vest, leather work gloves, and protective eye-wear for all ambulances, even for the units that nearly never respond to vehicle crashes because they're either CCT or IFT units... the non-911 companies all fought the requirements at the time.

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
At the company I previously worked for we used to have a "PPE Bag" that contained two of what I'm going to guess were Class C HazMat suits. I say "guess" because they were really somewhere between Class C & D - they didn't have respirators in them (I have no idea where the company found these things). We always affectionately referred to it as the "you're already dead anyway bag".

guardian528

Forum Lieutenant
At the company I previously worked for we used to have a "PPE Bag" that contained two of what I'm going to guess were Class C HazMat suits. I say "guess" because they were really somewhere between Class C & D - they didn't have respirators in them (I have no idea where the company found these things). We always affectionately referred to it as the "you're already dead anyway bag".

just making the coroner's job easier by putting yourself in your own body bag

nomofica

Forum Asst. Chief
We have turnouts w/ a turnout-type fire helmets, all of which are blue and have EMS, the staff & serpent and either Paramedic or EMT on it.

Flares, those orange reflective mesh vests, occasionally HazMat suits depending on the rig and where in the city it is generally stationed (ie. if it's in a heavy industrial area, or nearby one, it most likely has HazMat gear on board).

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief

thegreypilgrim

Forum Asst. Chief
The last county I worked in require(s) helmet, coat, traffic vest, leather work gloves, and protective eye-wear for all ambulances, even for the units that nearly never respond to vehicle crashes because they're either CCT or IFT units... the non-911 companies all fought the requirements at the time.
Hey, Akulahawk I have a question about Sacramento County. I was browsing through your guys' protocols (thinking of going to PA school at UC Davis) and it appeared that you guys don't carry adenosine. I looked all through your tachycardia protocol and all I could see on there was the Valsalva maneuver and cardioversion, but no adenosine. Do you guys not carry that?

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Traffic vests are required for working on Federally funded roads now, so all ambulances should carry them (well, unless they already dress you in day-glo with reflective stripes).

We have helmets for the crew members and at least one set of bunker gear. Tool bag has leather work gloves and the like.

Sasha

Forum Chief
We carry safety glasses, face shields, and traffic vests. I've only used the traffic vest once, but I'm glad we have them.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
We carry safety glasses, face shields, and traffic vests. I've only used the traffic vest once, but I'm glad we have them.

Every time I think about how silly they look, I try to remember how much worse I'd feel if I got hit by a car.

This is hardly evidence of anything, but if you look at, say, the line of duty deaths for state troopers in my state, the alarming trend is that the number killed by being struck by speeding cars on the Turnpike or Parkway is much, much, much higher than those who got shot/knifed/etc.

Not that the big flashing lights on the ambulance, or the roadway flares, or the safety vest will protect you from all the idiots on the roads... So, in the words of Hill Street Blues, "Be careful out there, people."

Sasha

Forum Chief
Not that the big flashing lights on the ambulance, or the roadway flares, or the safety vest will protect you from all the idiots on the roads...

I'm really starting to think there's a sign on the ambulance that you can only see with the light bar is turned on that says "Drive like an idiot around me, please!"

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
amr issued every emt and medic with their own safety vest and we have to wear it any time we step on a road. and every ambulance is stocked with gloves, masks, gowns, and eyewear protection.

amberdt03

Forum Asst. Chief
Last edited by a moderator:

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
Come to think of it, the reflective tape on our uniforms probably counts as PPE too. We have it on the ankles, back pockets, and sleeves. It makes us look stupid, but it really does stand out at night, especially since the rest of our uniforms are dark blue.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Come to think of it, the reflective tape on our uniforms probably counts as PPE too. We have it on the ankles, back pockets, and sleeves. It makes us look stupid, but it really does stand out at night, especially since the rest of our uniforms are dark blue.

Helpful, but not Class II or III under the relevant Federal standards. You probably still want to be wearing a vest when you step out of the rig near traffic.