Port au Prince Medic One

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Hi gang... there is a new web site for the Port Au Prince Medic one project. www.papmo.org

Feel free to take a look, volunteer for a deployment, make a donation or just buy a limited edition Medic One t-shirt.

www.papmo.org

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I wish they would take Intermediates for volunteering :(

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

We'll take an intermediate! If you want to go, send me a note from the website and tell me when you're available and include your contact info.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Great cause. Wish I could be of use as a volunteer but I'll have to settle for buying a t shirt :)

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

You could be of use as a volunteer. There is no shortage of need in Haiti. We're taking EMT-Bs, EMT-Is, Medics, Docs, Nurses, Social Workers, ER techs... almost everybody will have a job to do.

The new mission directive is staffing the medic units, working in the ED and triage at Hospital Bernard Mevs and teaching the EMT curriculum to our Haitian staff (yes, we pay them). These guys and girls serve as translators, guides, security and will become your good friends, if you chose to visit the country.

As an EMT, you'll perform tasks and learn things from the Docs and other medics that you may never have opportunity to do in the states and you'll see things that you may never be exposed to at your regular job. It truly is a life changing experience.

If you can take 10 days off through shift trades or vacation time, I highly recommend the trip. The fund raising to pay for the trip is simple. I raised all the money I needed, and then some, through one simple email to friends and family. If you can only buy a T shirt or make a small donation, well, that's just as good. Every bit helps.

I plan on going again this fall, hopefully in September, so if you'd like to start planning your trip, let me know!

terrible one

Always wandering
Very interesting. I'm going to look into that.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Since Intermediate Care qualified Ambulance Officers were renamed Paramedics does that make Brown eligible? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

To anyone who has sent an email via the website and did NOT get a reply, drop me a PM. I guess there was a small glitch that may have lost some messages. To everyone else, thanks for all the emails and interest in the PAPMO project! First medics will be staffing the units (barring unforeseen calamities) by the end if June.

terrible one

Always wandering
I sent an email with no reply and have also sent you a P/M.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Tell them to open an EMT school or ambulance company.

Haiti lives on its knees. Stand up the indigenous people.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

Okay. The recruiting director is actually in Haiti now and will be answering emails hen she returns. And no, a current state cert is okay.

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

Haiti lives on its knees. Stand up the indigenous people.

That's what the project is. We're training Haitians to be EMTs and work on the Project Medishare Ambulance. And yeah, they get paid for this.

The only people who volunteer are American (and Canadians) who teach the EMT modules and work as ALS providers on the Medic units. We hope to eventually make this project 100% Haitian staffed.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
You are five steps ahead of the other NGO's then!

Bully!
teddy-roosevelt.jpg