Please help with this?

heavenjoans7

Forum Crew Member
So I did my medical skills test yesterday and passed, however when I started the teacher told me the patient was "a something times 3". I am not sure what he said, I have heard it before and I know that it is for determining mental status and when he explained that to me I still didn't get it much, and i cannot find it anywhere in my book or google. Can someone explain this to me if you know what I am talking about???

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
AOx3 (or 4) Alert/Oriented to time, place and person. Goes along with GCS (Glasgow Coma Scale).

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
A&Ox4 is used to say the patient is Alert & Orientated to all 4 Person, Place, Time, and Event. I.e. a trauma patient may be able to tell you their name, location and time, but if they can't tell you what just happened to cause their injuries, they are altered. But that seems to be a relatively recent addition, as I've heard A&Ox3 to mean fully alert and aware often enough. Therefore when I write a report and I mean they're only 3 out of 4, I'll specifically write that (otherwise everyone understands A&Ox0,1,or 2 to be altered anyway, just be ready to specify in your reports what specifically the patient is and isn't alert to).

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Or hypoglycemic?

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Or being postictal.

Or a long list of other things.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
drunk.....

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Or flat out stupid

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
End stage syphilis.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Or a mime
c6909aef2becaf6b88cb6b479a11aec1.jpg

A/Ox0, GCS 11 and stuck in a glass box at baseline.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Or the pt is a smartass and screwing with you. Last one I had, when asked 'do you know who the president is' went 'Um... Trump, right ???';););)

twistedMP

Forum Crew Member
Or the pt is a smartass and screwing with you. Last one I had, when asked 'do you know who the president is' went 'Um... Trump, right ???';););)
Dealing with teens or children it may be easier to ask about whoever through current pop star or TV sensation is. Plus it may help to connect with them or put them at ease

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
Dealing with teens or children it may be easier to ask about whoever through current pop star or TV sensation is. Plus it may help to connect with them or put them at ease

It was a 50-something y.o. dude, but I think we all know that physical age doesn't mean much.