Personalized EMT/Paramedic bags!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CountryEMT-bGurl

Forum Lieutenant
I found these neat bags on Ebay's, ,she will personalize your name, star of life, and postion on the bags in whatever color, font, etc..
I just ordered mine! They are pretty cheap as well!!

Here is the link:

http://stores.ebay.com/HTs-Creations-Custom-Embroidery

Does anyone find much use in duffel bags in EMS.????
For example: Change of clothes, personal items!!! UH, hmmm... etc!!

Not sure if the men would take to this, but you EMS girls out there might like these. They come in male colors as well!!!

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
they put the staff of aclepius on it as opposed to the caduceus. haha just a pet peeve of mine, all the EMT's and Paramedics displaying the caduceus and not knowing what it means

OP
OP
CountryEMT-bGurl

CountryEMT-bGurl

Forum Lieutenant
they put the staff of aclepius on it as opposed to the caduceus. haha just a pet peeve of mine, all the EMT's and Paramedics displaying the caduceus and not knowing what it means

:blush:Okay, I know this may sound...REALLY DUMB, but please explain the difference!!??:blush:
And I just ordered one!! Am I going to look like a Dumb:censored: now??
LOL

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
:blush:Okay, I know this may sound...REALLY DUMB, but please explain the difference!!??:blush:
LOL

The rod of Asclepius is a rod with a single serpent around it, is the symbol of Asclepius, the Greek god of healing - he's the one in the traditional formulation of the Hippocratic Oath ("I swear by Apollo, Asclepius the Healer, Hyengia, and Pancea..."). The cadeuceus, the winged staff with two snakes around it, was a symbol of Hermes, the messenger god. The former is what appears on the Star of Life, and is a medical symbol. The latter, however, was adopted by the US Army Medical Branch as its symbol, and so has become widely associated with medicine, even though it doesn't have a particular mythological association with it.

mcdonl

Forum Captain

Shoot... we bring a whole ambulance!! Just kidding! I kid you! :)

Honestly... My wife is a starving artist/screen printer so I have our department scatter and insignia on everything we can get someone to pay for :)

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
LOL

haha no not at all:)

The traditional symbol of medicine is the Staff of Asclepius -- a rod with a single snake twined around it. The snake symbolizes, through the shedding of its skin, the renewal of life. Asclepius was a Greek physician who according to legend was the son of Apollo and a mortal. He appears in ancient scripts dated around 1500 BC. He was later deified as the God of Healing, and is usually depicted holding a staff with that accompanying single snake.
In ancient times infection by parasitic worms was common. The filarial worm Dracunculus medinensis crawled around the victim's body, just under the skin. Physicians treated this infection by cutting a slit in the patient's skin, just in front of the worm's path. As the worm crawled out the cut, the physician carefully wound the pest around a stick until the entire animal had been removed. It is believed that because this type of infection was so common, physicians advertised their services by displaying a sign with the worm on a stick.

The Caduceus is a symbol consisting of two snakes entwined around a winged staff.. It is also known as the Rod of Hermes. As a symbol of the Greek god Hermes the Caduceus is traditionally associated not with medicine but with trade and commerce. Hermes (the Greek equivalent of the Roman Mercury) was the messenger of the Greek gods and his staff has been used as a herald's staff.
The caduceus is sometimes erroneously used as a symbol for medicine, especially in North America, due to confusion with the traditional medical symbol, the rod of Asclepius, which has only a single snake and no wings. The symbol first appeared on the Medical Department of the United States Army in 1902

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
The rod of Asclepius is a rod with a single serpent around it, is the symbol of Asclepius, the Greek god of healing - he's the one in the traditional formulation of the Hippocratic Oath ("I swear by Apollo, Asclepius the Healer, Hyengia, and Pancea..."). The cadeuceus, the winged staff with two snakes around it, was a symbol of Hermes, the messenger god. The former is what appears on the Star of Life, and is a medical symbol. The latter, however, was adopted by the US Army Medical Branch as its symbol, and so has become widely associated with medicine, even though it doesn't have a particular mythological association with it.
A lot of confusion was caused by the use of the caduceus as a printer's mark (as Hermes was the god of eloquence and messengers); it appeared in many medical textbooks as a printing mark and was subsequently mistaken for a medical symbol (the staff of asclepius)

JPINFV

Gadfly
For what it's worth, I really like the AMA's take on the Rod of Asclepius.

logo.png

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
For example: Change of clothes, personal items!!! UH, hmmm... etc!!

Not sure if the men would take to this, but you EMS girls out there might like these. They come in male colors as well!!!

100% male... and yes... I have seen these personalized bags on ebay before, but I have a similar personalized bag that I got years ago and still use (and it has the proper symbol on it, for whatever that is worth). When I worked ambulance it was a 75-90 minute commute to work, so I had a full change of uniform as well as many other clothing items that would be helpful such as rain gear, extra off-duty street clothing, etc... Now-a-days I still keep that bag in my car all the time. I actually have 2 bags now. A new mesh one stores my Rope Rescue & Swiftwater Rescue gear and that same duffle stores every clothing item that I would ever need for SAR; BDUs, heavy boots, extra socks, rain gear, snow pants, gortex jacket, and various base & mid layers. Oh and the duffle is grey and black... like my mood. ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
CountryEMT-bGurl

CountryEMT-bGurl

Forum Lieutenant
WOW!! Thanks for all the great info!! To tell you the truth, I had no idea there was a difference. Or really even behind the meaning of the symbol!! Thanks a lot!!

Mountain Res-Q
I am sure your mood isn't black and grey....:p

Again...Thanks everyone! Great info to read.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
WOW!! Thanks for all the great info!! To tell you the truth, I had no idea there was a difference. Or really even behind the meaning of the symbol!! Thanks a lot!!

Mountain Res-Q
I am sure your mood isn't black and grey....:p

Again...Thanks everyone! Great info to read.

sorry we jacked your thread. cute bag

zmedic

Forum Captain
Just keep in mind that there are people who do EMS and love it, and those whom it defines as people. It's fine if EMS defines who you are, but you should just be aware of the image you are projecting. There is a fine line between sweet gear and being a wacker. I know it's all in the eyes of the beholder but if someone showed up to my old service on the first day with their personalized, start of life EMT duffle bag that they paid their own money for I'd wonder a bit. Like I said, it's a fine line. Like the line between having a first aid kit in your car and carrying your own BVM "just in case." Don't be the guy with the trauma shears on the belt off duty.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Just keep in mind that there are people who do EMS and love it, and those whom it defines as people. It's fine if EMS defines who you are, but you should just be aware of the image you are projecting. There is a fine line between sweet gear and being a wacker. I know it's all in the eyes of the beholder but if someone showed up to my old service on the first day with their personalized, start of life EMT duffle bag that they paid their own money for I'd wonder a bit. Like I said, it's a fine line. Like the line between having a first aid kit in your car and carrying your own BVM "just in case." Don't be the guy with the trauma shears on the belt off duty.

I met a EMt that had his own o2, backboard, ked, jump bag in his truck. truck was also fitted out with very illegal lights and sirens. dude even had his own badge made up with his NREMT number on it.

what made it even funnier was he works for a NON EMERGENCY company that only does inter facility transport

JPINFV

Gadfly
Outside of special curcumstances, the only gear you should have in your car is the gear that you take to work which you will actually use (i.e. personal stethoscope, BP cuff, etc). Anything extra outside of a first aid kit is a waste of space and money.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Outside of special curcumstances, the only gear you should have in your car is the gear that you take to work which you will actually use (i.e. personal stethoscope, BP cuff, etc). Anything extra outside of a first aid kit is a waste of space and money.

I have one piece of equipment i carry on my person, about everywhere i go.
A ballpoint pen

zmedic

Forum Captain
I would back having "don't get killed when you stop to help on the side of the road" gear. Reflective vest, road flares, flashlight etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.