Patient Care Reports - Paper or Electronic

Are your patient care reports electronic or on paper?

• Electronic

Votes: 30 71.4%
  • Paper

Votes: 12 28.6%

• Total voters

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Just a quick poll. What do you use? Paper or Electronic?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Intermedix Epcr

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
Paper. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Electronic (I voted). Rescuenet v5.1 Tablet ePCR. It sucks. It used to take us 20 minutes in the hospital. Now it takes us from 45 minutes at the least, to well over an hour if we need to document meds and other interventions. We lose upwards of ten minutes a call alone just on restarting the tablet several times if it locks up, or if it won't print.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Same program as 46Young, different service. If our servers are firing on all cylinders, 15 minutes to do a report. If the servers are being cranky, longer, sometimes LOTS longer. Luckily we don't have to stay at the ED while charting.

8jimi8

CFRN
Tough book with some companies i've run third with.

Last EMS agency was intermedix, but not tablets to go with, had to sit at the comp and transfer the paper report.

I prefer electronic.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Mine were almost all paper. While I can use electronic charts, there are times that it's just easier to make a drawing. I can see, however, times that importing an image from a camera would come in very handy...

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Toughbooks running EMSCharts, which i pretty much hate as a program but am getting used to through use.

But the medic company in the area uses Zoll, which i think is far better charting system

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Toughbooks running SIMON (Our own custom in house software)

spike91

Forum Lieutenant
My region uses EPRC. Its ok, but the problem is that its not networked, so if I start a PCR at one computer, I have to finish it at the same PC, its not accessible anywhere else. Otherwise I don't mind it.

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
I realy like the paper ,, we had Image Trend (still have it). we went away from computer to paper. it's alot shorter time. easy 3 page report.

that Image Trend crap was tab followed by pull down menu.. arrgg.. useless info.
someone's brother inlaw needed a job when they wrote that program.

edit:
my thread from last year, interesting to see what has changed
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=12494

Last edited by a moderator:

Adz

Forum Crew Member
We use our own in house electronic (as far as I know it is in house) Plus we do paper to leave copies in the ED for the RN's and MD's to reference.

Icenine

Forum Crew Member
Code Red on a toughbook

reaper

Working Bum
I have not wrote a paper report in 7-8 years. I am glad too, my hands cramp when writing to long!

Out of the 6-7 different commercial programs I have used, EMSCharts is by far the best for any medium to large service. No need to leave reports at ED's, they can access them online, when needed.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I realy like the paper ,, we had Image Trend (still have it). we went away from computer to paper. it's alot shorter time. easy 3 page report.

that Image Trend crap was tab followed by pull down menu.. arrgg.. useless info.
someone's brother inlaw needed a job when they wrote that program.

edit:
my thread from last year, interesting to see what has changed
http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=12494

I'm not normally this guy, but paper charts are awesome.....right up until you have to bill from it, or sit in front of a lawyer with a chart written by a partner who can't spell, has crappy handwriting and doesn't think you need to fill in half the boxes.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Same program as 46Young, different service. If our servers are firing on all cylinders, 15 minutes to do a report. If the servers are being cranky, longer, sometimes LOTS longer. Luckily we don't have to stay at the ED while charting.

Are you using version 5.1? For starters, there's absolutely no auto-population of data whatsoever. They can't get that to work. Some fields, such as meds and complete pcr, freeze for 30 secs to a minute when you click on them. You can't select PTA for vitals by a first responder; the software won't acknowledge that, and you can't complete the document. Red x for time, but you can't fix it. You need to select no pt contact for a refusal, or it won't take. I'm bumped off the chart several times while I'm trying to enter info. It sometimes freezes after that, and I need to restart, which takes several minutes each time. Nothing works fast. To print, we need to close out, restart, then open up the chart to (maybe) print.

We're not clear from the call until the report is complete. We fax it if we can't print after three tries (10-15 minutes right there alone).

I worked in a system with a slow ePCR, where we were clear as soon as we hit the ED. We would get another call in five or ten minutes after arrival, usually. Many times we still had the pt on our cot when the next call was assigned to us. Filling out numerous reports in various stages of completion at 0200 after a busy day where you ate breakfast at 1400, and dinner at 2300 or later gets old real fast, trust me. It's better when you get held over frequently for another 24 and have to do it all over again on no sleep! I wanted to eat a bullet.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Image trend. GAG me! I long for the good old WA MIR PCRs. :wacko:

My IFT per diem employer uses Image Trend. I guess they wanted to use the cheapest product there was. You get what you pay for. It freezes constantly, and can't hold a damn charge for more than a half hour. It sucks worse than RescueNet Tablet ePCR v5.1, which I would have never thought possible.

TraprMike

Forum Lieutenant
I'm not normally this guy, but paper charts are awesome.....right up until you have to bill from it, or sit in front of a lawyer with a chart written by a partner who can't spell, has crappy handwriting and doesn't think you need to fill in half the boxes.

our billing likes our paper reports. they get them every few days and faster to get the info off of them. We have good partners, we double check the check boxes and goes over the report once it's finnished before handing it to the ED. that's what good partners do, CY6. You don't look over your partner's reports and double check them ??