Paramedic Salary Question

JohnRG

Forum Probie
I am looking to relocate from NY once I finish Medic school. Two cities seemed appealing to me but i have trouble finding the averaging starting salary for Medics in either Houston or Sacramento. Anyone familiar with the pay scale for Paramedics in those states?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Houston area (not saying HFD, but the outlying communities who are single role) seems to be in the 45k range. Thats from research and a lot of apps and emails that have gone out in the last few weeks

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Sac metro FD hires single role medics in the 50k range, with the requirement to promote to engine in 3 years (as told to me by a questionably reliable coworker)

Angel

Paramedic
Sac metro FD hires single role medics in the 50k range, with the requirement to promote to engine in 3 years (as told to me by a questionably reliable coworker)

True, and that's if you meet other requirements and they want you. It's not a guarantee or promise to "promote" to supression.

I make ~47k starting and we just got raises so I think I'll make close to 50 which still isn't a lot

OP
OP
J

JohnRG

Forum Probie
Thank you all for your input. I appreciate any and all information and advise. My concern is also comparing Salary with the avergae median living cost in those regions and trying to get the most out of my Salary.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I think you may have missed my point and if I am wrong, say so, but I assume you to be younger? The questions you should ask (and this is by no means all inclusive, there are plenty of threads which cover this) are:

Salary
Education Incentives
Education Opportunities
Career Path (Advancement)
Health Benefits
Retirement
So on and so on...

As our life circumstances change, which they will...some of these may be more important than others. Priorities will change. I have taken jobs which paid significantly less than another job but had better benefits...cause that was what I needed as a youngish Dad with three kids. Then after a few years I started seeking a job which gave me an actual career path and rewarded my knowledge and experience.

It should never be solely about pay and cost of living. While significant, it is by far not the total package to be considered.

Please note I did not list "How much OT can I get on average"....as this is the dumbest question I see regarding potential new employers. While OT is nice, it should never be expected or be part of your plan when considering where to move or whom to work for. Build a life and career without that nipple and then watch how your personal quality of life improves overall for the better.

OP
OP
J

JohnRG

Forum Probie
I think you may have missed my point and if I am wrong, say so, but I assume you to be younger? The questions you should ask (and this is by no means all inclusive, there are plenty of threads which cover this) are:

Salary
Education Incentives
Education Opportunities
Career Path (Advancement)
Health Benefits
Retirement
So on and so on...

As our life circumstances change, which they will...some of these may be more important than others. Priorities will change. I have taken jobs which paid significantly less than another job but had better benefits...cause that was what I needed as a youngish Dad with three kids. Then after a few years I started seeking a job which gave me an actual career path and rewarded my knowledge and experience.

It should never be solely about pay and cost of living. While significant, it is by far not the total package to be considered.

Please note I did not list "How much OT can I get on average"....as this is the dumbest question I see regarding potential new employers. While OT is nice, it should never be expected or be part of your plan when considering where to move or whom to work for. Build a life and career without that nipple and then watch how your personal quality of life improves overall for the better.
I understand what you mean and those points you listed i will take in consideration. My original question was narrowed to Salary compared to cost of living for those cities. Thank you though for broadening the perspective i should consider when seeking employment when i decide to relocate.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Houston is quite doable with anything north of about 40k a year. Texas's state taxes are nonexistent (income), reasonable on sales, reasonable on property. You can make a living here.

Another thing to consider is job portability. Houston has dozens of 911 agencies in and around it and a lot of close areas, plus three other metros in reasonable driving distance and literally hundreds of other local agencies. Although California is pretty diverse, it's not that diverse. Plus the economy here is stronger, and we have beaches.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Come to houston! Im just moving there and the opportunities for a 911 medic are pretty damned good

RocketMedic

Hell, I am making $18 an hour on a 24/72 and will clear 46k easily this year.

RocketMedic

California's EMS is also....relatively regressive in comparison to many Texan agencies. Conservative Texan services like Acadian would be on the pointy end of progress in California or NY

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
California's EMS is also....relatively regressive in comparison to many Texan agencies. Conservative Texan services like Acadian would be on the pointy end of progress in California or NY
Hey, we are slowly improving lol

RocketMedic

Hey, we are slowly improving lol
Fentanyl, ketamine, Toradol. And we can medicate abdominal pain.

Makes a big difference in patient care when you can actually temporarily address disturbing symptoms.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Fentanyl, ketamine, Toradol. And we can medicate abdominal pain.

Makes a big difference in patient care when you can actually temporarily address disturbing symptoms.
Fent, Ativan, TXA. Still have to call for orders but the docs are approving us a lot more now.

I said slowly improving which we are.