Ok, how are you? (Poll)

If you are EMS-active, do you have important health conditions?

• I am inactive because of health.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am active and have no health problems.

Votes: 27 64.3%
  • I am active in EMS with a cardiac concern (PAT, fibs, angina, murmur, other).

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • I am active in EMS with recurrent and/or chronic back pain

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • I am active in EMS with other orthopaedic concerns (joint injuries, healed fractures, ORIF's, etc.).

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • I am active in EMS with diabetes.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am active in EMS with another condition not named above.

Votes: 5 11.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Our cohorts here vary from youngsters (really), to us geezers and wheezers.

Exactly how fit and healthy ARE you?

Lunah

Forum Crew Member
I guess I'm "small but mighty." LOL. I'm only 4'11". I'm fairly fit -- I do a combination cardio/weight workout 3 to 4 times a week, and I don't eat any refined sugar products -- lots of lean meats and veggies. Boring diet, but I have reactive hypoglycemia and can't eat a big carb load without my glucose level going through the floor about an hour later. I was pretty athletic growing up (gymastics, softball, etc.), so I guess that's kinda stuck with me through the years.

Sasha

Forum Chief
How are you judging fitness? BMI (If you say yes, I'll have to scream.)? Percentage of body fat? Number of push ups you can do? How fast you can run a mile? Organic vs. processed foods? Cholesterol level?

Lunah

Forum Crew Member
BMI is a crock. According to the BMI, my husband is obese -- in reality, he's 5'10" and 260 lbs of solid muscle -- he's been a powerlifter for 20+ years.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Hence the comment about screaming :] I can't stand it when people use BMI as a measure of health. Drives me right up a wall and is the quickest way to get me ranting!

rescuepoppy

Forum Lieutenant
At 48 years old 6'8' 270 pounds still run 3 days a week try to do about 8 miles at at time,try to get in the gym 2 or 3 days a week. An at last physical everything came back good. So I am going to say pretty good. Not bad for somebody less than a year out from a broken neck.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Had to walk off while writing poll, thread posted itself

Anyone reading it before the poll posted, please feel free to anonymously reply.
If you want to discuss working in EMS with medical drawbacks, feel free.

NOTE: You will ntice I did not incluide psychiatric or infectious conditions. I do not want to discourage some folks from contributing. Those are good subjects, also, though.

NOTRNOTE: sorry I limited to single complaints!

Last edited by a moderator:

mikie

Forum Lurker
Arthritis is coming!

I'm young and already full of joint problems! Doesn't really bother me unless I'm doing the heavy lifting...

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
I'm pretty fit, but I've got a number of chronic health problems. Fortunately, they're all manageable, and seem to be improving with age and good treatment.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Now allowed to choose more than one?

I choose the joint problems... genetic mostly... my mom has bad knees and so do I, along with a shoulder that likes to dislocate...

On top of that, I don;t have the best back... a good reason for EMSers to protect tehmselves on lifting... constantly sore joints and back and handfulls of IBU everyday is no way for anyone to live... especially at my age. But I don't let it stop me. I just live with it.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Get better soon! Stay away from SF!!!
Are you an EMT-I yet, or just finishing your class, I am confused (by your sidebar).

Sasha

Forum Chief
Can you be inactive because of lazyness?

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Sounds psych to me.

I started racking up chronic injuries working in a factory so I knew I couldn't be a field paramedic or even crash rescueman for long, hence nursing. (haha on me).

compora19

Forum Probie
Active in EMS with other health problems....i've been doing CrossFit over a year now and been following the "zone" diet with it. Lost about 35lb and now am focusing on better performance and strength, working wonders. I also have asthma which doesnt help while trying to workout :\

pfmedic

Forum Lieutenant
I started working out last year because my back always hurt at work by the time I was done with my shift. In the span of one year I went from 165lbs to 195lbs... lean. I thoroughly believe IMHO that if you want to stay out of trouble you need to lift some serious weights