New Site Coming Saturday - August 9

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
Sigh. I hate change. But I do understand why you're needing to change to a new platform. I hope you're not using the same one that EMTCity just switched to. Best of luck getting everything migrated.

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Sigh. I hate change. But I do understand why you're needing to change to a new platform. I hope you're not using the same one that EMTCity just switched to. Best of luck getting everything migrated.

No, EMTCity's new platform is much different than what ours will be.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I'm with you. When we selected vBulletin as a platform in 2005 it was the best thing out there. Nearly a decade later the project is dead.

We had high hopes for vBulletin 4.0, but it lacked much of the functionality we have now. vBulletin 5.0 is an absolute disaster.

After more than a year of talking about it, and much testing, I think our new platform will be a nice upgrade from what we have now.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

I'm with you. When we selected vBulletin as a platform in 2005 it was the best thing out there. Nearly a decade later the project is dead.

We had high hopes for vBulletin 4.0, but it lacked much of the functionality we have now. vBulletin 5.0 is an absolute disaster.

After more than a year of talking about it, and much testing, I think our new platform will be a nice upgrade from what we have now.

Not to mention it took a really long time for them to convince me that this change was necessary.

angry11.gif

drl

Forum Lieutenant
It's too bad, I liked vBulletin. Another forum that I help moderate is in the process of switching to Xenforo: we've been having lots of problems migrating over our massive database, but hopefully it goes more smoothly here! :)

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
Change is good. I felt this site was starting to get an "aged" look with it's edge to edge layout and lack of depth. Looking forward to see what you all have come up with!

"Change is the law of life. And those who only look to the past or present are certain to miss the future." - John F. Kennedy

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
It's too bad, I liked vBulletin.

We've loved vB 3.x series, and would have kept upgrading if it weren't for the 4.x and 5.x series having so many problems.

Another forum that I help moderate is in the process of switching to Xenforo: we've been having lots of problems migrating over our massive database, but hopefully it goes more smoothly here! :)

We we did our test installation everything went pretty smoothly. I don't expect too many issues tomorrow.

Change is good. I felt this site was starting to get an "aged" look with it's edge to edge layout and lack of depth. Looking forward to see what you all have come up with!

Right now we just want to make sure the platform is stable and functional. We will change the look as time progresses.

The vB 3.8.x series is no longer supported and we can't move forward unless we have a platform that can grow with us. We're certain that Xenforo will help us with that.