New NBC series "Trauma" this fall

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Slow down turbo. I was refering to spinal immobilization, however, perhaps with just the backboard without cervical immobilization. No medic that wants to stay a medic will do the crap on that show. Just chill. I know a medic that would have probably just start an IV with an 18 guage, for kicks. In real life, I'd have to be documenting everything and ensuring he signed AMA with all efforts to persuade him to go with us the hospital. I have a another 72 tomorrow, calm down.

um, so was I... you were using his altered status as a reason not to get consent. They failed to establish any such altered status before they assaulted him and several other pts... and (if I understand what you said) why would you board a MVC pt. (obviosuly due to possible spianl injuries along witht he "altered" status) w/o a collar as well...

but at least they sent the wrist injury by air based on the fact that the married medic might be able to get himself some latter...

And, on another note... I am 100% straight male... but on behalf of all the fine female EMTs and Medics here... I am pissed that the one "medical professiona" on this show is a slut...

I miss MASH... a least that was entertaining... And "turbo" is "chilled"... :rolleyes: The day I "unchill" will be really bad... :unsure: ;)

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I missed it....

did I miss anything worthwhile..... cause the people on the NBC forums RIPPED THE SHOW APART. many many EMT's and Medics were all in agreement.... utter junk

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I missed it....

did I miss anything worthwhile..... cause the people on the NBC forums RIPPED THE SHOW APART. many many EMT's and Medics were all in agreement.... utter junk

ha ha ha... I checked out NBCs forums... and everything the real Medics and EMTs are saying are 100% true... and they were not holding back... Some are even advocating a boycott of NBC... LOL... Sorry, I am watching Conan right now...

http://boards.nbc.com/nbc/index.php?showtopic=828065
Start at the last page and work back.

reaper

Working Bum
What I meant by Third Watch being realistic was that it was aimed at being an every day depiction of the job and lives of public safety workers in NYC. I didn't mean the show is totaly realistic down to every detail.

Imo, Trauma doesn't fit this category. It is blatantly obvious to ANYONE watching the show that the scenes shown in just this first episode are not everyday type calls.

What I'm saying is, while Third Watch wasn't the real thing, itt's focus was on reality, where Trauma's focus isn't.

The show was pretty bad. The dialogue was terrible. The story...well basically the story was one girl is a slut, everyone hates the flight medic, and they're all still shaken up over an event that happened a year ago. The story wasn't solid at all. I am curious as to how the rest of the series will go... poorly made, but it looked good in HD :p

Not been in EMS long? That is basicly EMS in a nutshell!;)

MIkePrekopa

Forum Crew Member
I barely made it through it, and considered taking notes (on what was wrong) but once I filled the first page, before the intro, I gave up.

I am particularly a fan of not giving the mother gloves. Relating it to what I'm learning, we are told that if we ask a person to keep head stabilization during a rapid trauma assessment (after putting on C-spine) that they get gloves. Now I am just a EMT-B Student, and may not know much about being a flight medic, or the procedures "portrayed", I have a feeling gloves would be included... I don't know about all the drugs they pushed into dead CPR guy, but my mom is an ER nurse and said the drugs they used are used, but not like that. Maybe it was my TV, but those compressions looked sub-par. I tried to watch the show, and not analyze the medical, but the BS was so thick I couldn't get into it. I will try to watch a few more episodes, but doubt it will be in he DVR for long.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
not to mention the guys in the begining calling 911 and talking to the Medic on the Rig directly? someone forget about the dispatchers. Also that blonde chick with the broken arm that the guy was hitting on, shes gonna love him so much when she gets the $25,000 bill for being airlifted with a broken arm.....awesome.....and as several have mentioned before you know we are the real heros cause we always beat fire to the scene, especially when its an MCI with multiple vehicle extrications......who needs the jaws of life, I've got a backboard.........Utter Junk! just hope the public is smart enough to realize that this is not even close to being accurate....but then again their stupidity keeps me employed so im not gonna count on it.....

Sasha

Forum Chief
Per the protocols in my county, he would be considered altered. At least, I would consider hime altered.

How? He seemed oriented to me. He knew what he was going to do, and he wanted to go do it. He needed to get to his "meeting" to give a dog a bone.

They didn't bother with orientation questions or even give a second thought to his refusal, they just battered him and falsely imprisoned.

And he gets called the best medic the pilot has ever seen?

Hey, that may be true. It was her first day on the job, remember? No precepting, no training or orientation, just jumping right into flying a single medic. She probably hadn't seen very many medics ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm not going to stop watching it just because I had a ton of fun making fun of it with my wife. On that note in real life every single one of those 'medics' would have ahd their license taken away.

And the chest compression? LOL more like kneading dough compressions.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I'm not going to stop watching it just because I had a ton of fun making fun of it with my wife. On that note in real life every single one of those 'medics' would have ahd their license taken away.

And the chest compression? LOL more like kneading dough compressions.

That's what I said! It sounded like they were slapping the skin and looked like they were kneading dough. It was hilarious. I'll watch next week, just because I had fun mocking it via text with some other Paramedics and EMTs.

Thindian

Forum Crew Member
I think at one point, during the MCI scene, "Rabbit" the pilot asks one of the medics standing around if "anyone needs a ride" to which he replies something like -

"We've treated our black and red tags, so no".

Go transport that dead guy! STAT!

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
I think at one point, during the MCI scene, "Rabbit" the pilot asks one of the medics standing around if "anyone needs a ride" to which he replies something like -

"We've treated our black and red tags, so no".

Go transport that dead guy! STAT!

Black doesn't mean dead - it means unsalvagable. Though considering the test for that is no breathing... I doubt any would be alive by the time you got back to them.

Of course, tying down three medics (or two plus an EMT) and running through an ambulance worth of cardiac drugs doing CPR in the midst of a MCI isn't proper either, but I think that factored into the blonde's thing about needing a save that day, and there was some mention that she shouldn't have been doing it. At least, that's the best I can get from that tripe.

That's when they transported the woman with the broken arm. You're telling me there was nobody who was a real yellow tag around that could have used the "free ride" back? :rolleyes:

wyoskibum

Forum Captain
That's what I said! It sounded like they were slapping the skin and looked like they were kneading dough. It was hilarious. I'll watch next week, just because I had fun mocking it via text with some other Paramedics and EMTs.

I really enjoyed watching the show and playing the Trauma Drinking game. The rules are simple, every time a medic does something inappropriate, you get to drink your favorite alcoholic beverage. IE: sex in the ambulance, CHEERS! Shocking asystole, CHEERS!. Of course, be sure you have plenty of said favorite alcoholic beverage as you are sure to run out!

thatgirl00

Forum Crew Member
I really enjoyed watching the show and playing the Trauma Drinking game. The rules are simple, every time a medic does something inappropriate, you get to drink your favorite alcoholic beverage. IE: sex in the ambulance, CHEERS! Shocking asystole, CHEERS!. Of course, be sure you have plenty of said favorite alcoholic beverage as you are sure to run out!

MY GOD! You might just have taken something ridiculous and turned it into something marvelous!

thatgirl00

Forum Crew Member
ok well i just finished watching it (I have class on Mon nghts so I gotta watch it online.) Anyyyway, I mean the story line is ok. To be honest it's what we should have expected. Mistakes, sex, family probs. It is afterall , a tv show..... they could spend a lil more time trying to make sure things are correct and not so ridiculous. Dont really see it lasting past a 1st season, I could be wrong though. I'll watch it though just because.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
ok well i just finished watching it (I have class on Mon nghts so I gotta watch it online.) Anyyyway, I mean the story line is ok. To be honest it's what we should have expected. Mistakes, sex, family probs. It is afterall , a tv show..... they could spend a lil more time trying to make sure things are correct and not so ridiculous. Dont really see it lasting past a 1st season, I could be wrong though. I'll watch it though just because.

i kinda half watched it and did not really see any apparnet story line. i also missed the first 6 minutes or so. the blond was cute though