Medics pull over DUI suspect

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
http://dacula.patch.com/groups/police-and-fire/p/medics-pull-over-suspected-drunk-driver

A pair of Gwinnett County Fire and Emergency Services (GCFES) employees found themselves in the unusual position of having to conduct a pullover after spotting a vehicle traveling on Braselton Highway with two shredded tires.

On Aug. 8, the two GCFES medics were leaving the Fire Academy fuel station in Med Unit 16 when they were passed by a 2013 Volkswagon Tiguan. The medics noticed the vehicle was traveling at a high rate of speed and had two flat tires.

"[The medics] stated that due to the severity of the situation, they decided to try and stop the vehicle to see what was wrong," the officer wrote in the report.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Lol.... That's awesome.
I'd likely get fired for that.

Scene safety is number one- they're lucky she wasn't someone who would have blasted those two "heroes."

Epi-do

I see dead people
I understand being concerned the driver was going to hurt someone, but that's not my job.

Given the fact that traffic stops are one of, if not the most, dangerous things cops have to do, I will leave that to them. Get on the radio, ask for the cops, give a location so they can find you. Heck, even follow the driver at a safe distance. However, trying to pull someone over in an ambulance is just asking for trouble!

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I understand being concerned the driver was going to hurt someone, but that's not my job.

Given the fact that traffic stops are one of, if not the most, dangerous things cops have to do, I will leave that to them. Get on the radio, ask for the cops, give a location so they can find you. Heck, even follow the driver at a safe distance. However, trying to pull someone over in an ambulance is just asking for trouble!

Especially since she was on her way 'to meet Jesus'. That just screams murder-suicide to me.

You're in EMS. If you need police, you're probably going to get bumped to the top of the list. Unless you're out in the boondocks, you're probably going to get one pretty quick. Grab the radio, put in your request, and follow at a safe distance.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Especially since she was on her way 'to meet Jesus'. That just screams murder-suicide to me.

You're in EMS. If you need police, you're probably going to get bumped to the top of the list. Unless you're out in the boondocks, you're probably going to get one pretty quick. Grab the radio, put in your request, and follow at a safe distance.

That's what I have done. Had a vehicle swerving all over the freeway, went into the dirt shoulder and spun out resting in the right hand shoulder. We stayed far back with our rear warning lights on and called for PD.

Btalon

Forum Probie
Glad it all worked out for them, too many bad case scenarios to spell out. It's better to be a witness than a victim and report what you see. There is no duty for us to stop a vehicle, nor the legal authority to do so.

I'm sure I would be looking for work if I did something like that.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We have a DriveCam video of one of our units stopping a DUI driver a bunch of years back. The show COPS was all about getting it but they never got a hold of it.

Not my job, not risking my life for it. With that said...I'll happily follow and report direction of travel to PD then back off when they arrived and let them work. Provided we have enough resources.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
nor the legal authority to do so.

Google "citizens arrest".

We absolutely have the authority to make one while on duty.