Massachusetts EMT Jobs

beantown native

Forum Crew Member
cert #'s

I was just wondering... back in 86 when I started EMS, the Mass certification # was 819xxx. Whats it up to now ? Started as volunteer, then worked a few private services before moving to florida.

dmc2007

Forum Captain
I've seen them as high as 893xxx. My guess is we'll be at 894xxx before the summer hits.

OP
OP
C

chrisp368

Forum Probie
Mine starts with 893, and I got mine back in November

Hubbtown

Forum Ride Along
Ca to MA

So I might be moving from California to Massachusetts and in the research I have been able to do online I have figured out that since I am already California Certified as an EMT all I have to do is take the MA written exam and when I pass, then I register with MA. Does anyone know approximate costs for doing this or ease of difficulty of this process.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Warning: While the process is not difficult, it is time consuming. Be prepared.

Basically, you have to send something to your home state, then when that's back, send paperwork to MA OEMS, then take a written test.

Please follow the following steps:
1) You must receive verification from the state where you hold certification of your current status. Download and print the following form, and send to your home OEMS office along with a self-addressed, stamped envelope, so that when they are done, they may sent it back to you. Once you receive it back, you must keep it sealed.
The form can be found at:
http://www.mass.gov/Eeohhs2/docs/dph/emergency_services/certification_verification_basic.pdf

The addresses to send it to can be found
at: http://nremt.org/nremt/about/emt_cand_state_offices.asp (mouse over or click on your home state)

2) While you are waiting for that verification form to be returned, download and print the application to MA OEMS, which can be found at http://www.mass.gov/Eeohhs2/docs/dph/emergency_services/forms/certification_basic_out_of_state.pdf

Complete the form, including the questions on the second page and signature at the bottom. Prepare a $150 check to "The Commonwealth of Massachusetts", and send with the sealed verification form.

3) OEMS should get back to you within a few weeks, and if you completed a practical exam in your home state, you will receive an "Authorization To Test" from OEMS, and a candidate ID number. Log on to psiexams.com (It's a quirky site, I find that it's easiest to use in Internet Explorer).
Once on the site, click on "Create an Account" and follow those steps
Once on your "Homepage", click on "View all my Activities", then at the top "Click Here to find your records", then "Government/State Licensing Agencies", and follow the menus to MA EMT, and enter your candidate ID number (likely 893...)

The site should guide you through scheduling your test from there.
PSI Exams charges a $55 fee for the written (I promise, it's the last fee you'll pay!). You can take the test in one of their centers, and if you pass, they give you your card on the spot.
If you do not pass, you have 2 more retests, although you will have to schedule them separately. Your candidate ID number becomes your EMT number.

Again, this process sometimes takes some time, but is fairly simple. If you have any questions or problems, just shoot me a PM.
For more information, please see:
http://www.mass.gov/Eeohhs2/docs/dph/emergency_services/ar/2_236_basic.pdf
OR

http://candidate.psiexams.com/bulle...actionname=83&bulletinid=225&bulletinurl=.pdf

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
I've begun to look around at prospective companies to apply to for this summer when I return back to MA from college. Any update on the job market or companies to look into? All the big ones seem impossible.

dmc2007

Forum Captain
I've begun to look around at prospective companies to apply to for this summer when I return back to MA from college. Any update on the job market or companies to look into? All the big ones seem impossible.

Getting hired for the summer is tough...best thing you can do is put in applications now and hope that there are companies willing to hire by phone, as it takes several weeks for a company to bring you on board.

Give McCall a try, they always seem to be hiring and are growing.

Hubbtown

Forum Ride Along
Thanks, emt.dan

Glad to hear that it's not so difficult, the one thing that I do have right now is some time. I wont be moving to MA till sometime late june or july if I end up moving there at all. My girlfriend got into Tufts vet school and she is still not sure if that's where she will choose. This info that you provided is exactly what I needed though and I really appreciate it.

Hubbtown

Forum Ride Along
Ca to MA

Hey ZackW the emtlife wouldnt let me post private messages because im still to new to the sight. So I posted here.

I am from Humboldt County California
I am glad to hear that the process is not so hard to do. I will know for sure if that's where I will be moving in April, and seeing that it wont be till July that I move I can start the process with enough time to get it finished before July. The one thing I am a little worried about though is the fact that I have no experience yet. Our ambulance companies in Humboldt County do not hire people under the age of 23. I will be 23 in April so if I am moving out to MA that will not be enough time to get experience, seeing as they probably wont hire me for 3 months.
Another thing I was wondering is how different the NREMT is from the MA written test. And if there is a huge difference where can I get the info to study for it?

I also wanted to thank you for helping me with this info man. It has really helped me sorta figure out the whole situation. And helped my girlfriend and I make the decision as to whether or not it will be a good move for not just her but the both of us. What part of Cali where you from? And Ive actually been looking into going to medic school and being a medic for a fire department after I get a couple years experience in the field.

-Louis-

nemedic

Forum Captain
If you are still looking for a EMT gig in MA, I might be able to suggest a certain complex for seniors that has non transporting in-house EMS/security. They dont like to hire FT from the "outside" if they dont have to, and the per diem slots have sporadic turnover(mainly hiring a bunch for summer, and a few here and there the rest of the year). I'll remain vague here, but if you are interested, shoot me a PM, and I'll give you the info. If you still don't have the ability to PM, I'll send one your way. There are a few here that know where I work/my real name, but I prefer to not post it in any of the threads because of a slight paranoia that something I might say might be misconstrued or I might run into a manager with an axe to grind trolling the EMS forums

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
I found the MA test to be easier than the NREMT one. Same sort of questions so if you buy the practice test book for EMT exams, you should be all set...starting pay for "new" emts with no ambulance experience sucks because the cost of living out in Boston is so high...but good luck.

newenglandeve

Forum Ride Along
So I might be moving from California to Massachusetts and in the research I have been able to do online I have figured out that since I am already California Certified as an EMT all I have to do is take the MA written exam and when I pass, then I register with MA. Does anyone know approximate costs for doing this or ease of difficulty of this process.

If you visit the Mass OEMS website, www.mass.gov/dph/oems, there is a detailed section on the process

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I think this is the most trafficked thread on MA job EMT job opportunities so I figured I throw this out there. I'm not sure if there has been a formal announcement yet, but a friend has passed this on:

Brewster Ambulance is looking to expand it's South Coast area presence. Openings for ALS, BLS, Chair Car, and Dispatch. Dispatch is in Boston, but all others are located in the South Coast area. Currently Brewster has south coast bases in Middleborough, Dartmouth, and Plymouth. An open house is likely coming, if I get more info I'll post it.

nemedic

Forum Captain
Heard a rumor that Catlantic might be adding people due to taking over the contracts that AMR in MA had.

DeepFreeze

Forum Lieutenant
Catlantic is hiring for the new contracts of Newburyport and the other AMR contracts in that area. Figure I'd throw that out there. If anyone wants the info PM me