Las Vegas Fire looking to take over transports from AMR

fortsmithman

Forum Deputy Chief
Fire needs to go bls, stop paying them 3-4x times the salary of a teacher that has at minimum a Bachelor's. Its ridiculous,

That's because Fire have better labour unions than EMS. Some areas Fire makes more than police.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I think AMR or MWA could be self-sustaining, but not both if this continues.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Is AMR self sustaining in vegas? It'll be hard to top that if FD is going to support themselves on 911 only.

I doubt it. But even as big as they are they can't have a division that has near no reimbursement.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I doubt it. But even as big as they are they can't have a division that has near no reimbursement.

At least one that size. ABQ ran in the red for over a year with minimal call volume. But we were a very small operation

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
At least one that size. ABQ ran in the red for over a year with minimal call volume. But we were a very small operation

I don't know their numbers but I know we do like 75k a year so I'd bet that's probably close to what they do since they've got three splitting it.

rmabrey

Forum Asst. Chief

I was curious cause my shop is completely self sustaining and one of the most profitable at 30,000+ runs a year. We do IFT as well which is obviously where the money is at. The city used to reimburse us and bill for 911 but they lost a lot of money. We took over billing for transport rights in the city. I guess my point is it is possible for them to be self sustaining in vegas, but I doubt fire can do It. No cost to the city is always an attractive offer.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I'm surprised they don't just do what the city of Colorado Springs did; charge a franchise fee to the ambulance contractor.

AMR now pays the fire department 1.8 million a year to operate in the city. Fire department gets money and doesn't have to delve into transport. Course it's done some terrible things to the AMR operation too...

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
AMR was paying $500,000 annually to the city for transport rights. No longer, though.

AMR is still bumping along just fine with only a slight decrease in volume now that this is starting to normalize. It's a busy, busy, busy system- mostly in the evening into the morning. And the City Of is only a part of AMR's area (mostly county as explained before.) MedicWest is not the primary for City's areas, and it is not affecting operations at all.

LVFR does transport some TROLLs too (transient residents of lovely Las Vegas) and not just the "good" calls. It is a matter of resources, and AMR still responds with LVFR most of the time. City Fire has an academy of 35 (out of the 40 that started) and are due to hire more in the Fall. <--Robb--

MWA hiring is open/on-going while AMR hiring has ceased for most positions according to operations folks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
AMR was paying $500,000 annually to the city for transport rights. No longer, though.

AMR is still bumping along just fine with only a slight decrease in volume now that this is starting to normalize. It's a busy, busy, busy system- mostly in the evening into the morning. And the City Of is only a part of AMR's area (mostly county as explained before.) MedicWest is not the primary for City's areas, and it is not affecting operations at all.

LVFR does transport some TROLLs too (transient residents of lovely Las Vegas) and not just the "good" calls. It is a matter of resources, and AMR still responds with LVFR most of the time. City Fire has an academy of 35 (out of the 40 that started) and are due to hire more in the Fall. <--Robb--

MWA hiring is open/on-going while AMR hiring has ceased for most positions according to operations folks.

That timing could work out quite nicely...

Thanks dude.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Gonna be a fight around here for fire jobs though with one department slated to lay off 35 July 1.

Imacho

Forum Lieutenant
Fire needs to go bls, stop paying them 3-4x times the salary of a teacher that has at minimum a Bachelor's. Its ridiculous, maybe there is good fire ems systems but these FD in Cali just ruin it for them. I like how OCFA blatantly says private medics provide a lower standard of care to its citizens. And LVFDR said almost the same thing comparing there medics to DRs and AMR medics to Nurses.

I know there is many very intelligent fire medics on this forum but you guys are the exception not the rule.

That's exactly why I left so cal moved to Charlotte NC. We're 3rd service and all fire is BLS.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
That's exactly why I left so cal moved to Charlotte NC. We're 3rd service and all fire is BLS.

Oh Medic... My dream job. Charlotte-Meck....
Sigh...

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
http://www.mynews3.com/content/news...response/10Lz81vAFECE1dwWt9DJxA.cspx?rss=3406

Shots fired by LV AMR GM. Alleging, with some factoids, delayed response times have sky rocketed since the take over of primary response by LVFR.

Video is also there. Referencing a call a friend of mine had with a stabbing victim that died while AMR was literally posted 200 yards away behind a building, yet did not get the call.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
System Status Management is part of your dream job?

My company already does this.
One headache for another? Maybe, but I'll be on the East Coast at least.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
This is just to ridiculous that it has gotten this bad! It seems like this whole private ambulance vs the FD is getting worse around the world and its the worse in Vegas. From what it seems like the FD is not going to win this one, they are going to have to alert AMR of calls, I mean come on we are in this job because we want to provide the best patient care that we can! Not see who is better or more well trained crap!

I know they had to see what system would work better but it's not this way, not when there's a ambulance 200 yards away of a stabbing victim and doesn't even know it because the FD wants to transport more and won't let AMR know about calls unless they need them. I really hope they can fix this so it works out for both companies and most of all the patients. Sorry I needed to vent and tell my opinion.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I don't know abotu you, but I'm just in this job for the money and the chicks :p

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member