Laid off at hospital, signed up for medic school yesterday.

reaper

Working Bum
I agree. Any experience one can bring to the profession is a good thing, without question. There is a quote from a former Fire Chief of mine, "Medics save patients, but basics save Paramedics.

If I may make a suggestion to you...begin studying your A&P as soon as you can. I took A&P I and 2 over the summer, online, and at the same time; I will never do it again. It was not what I thought. I spent more then one night burning the midnight oil, and although I got a B in both, it was less then enjoyable. I really wish I would have studied more on it before taking the classes. Infact, this is why I have no hair in the picture...pulled it all out that summer (just kidding).

Who else would you expect to say that!:rolleyes:

So Cal EMT

Forum Probie
It's nice to hear some of you say that one doesnt necessarily need yrs of experience as an EMT-B before going to medic school. I think in my area (So Cal) its looked at as negative if one goes straight into medic school after just a few months as a basic and definitely a negative if one goes right after basic training. I personally think it depends on the individual. I also think we are competitive by nature. In So Cal there arent many Medic jobs unless you want to be a FF as well. I think that sucks but thats another thread. Happy Holidays!!

rhan101277

Forum Deputy Chief
I know right now that the whole, needs experience argument, before you can enter Paramedic school seems unfair. But after you get your Medic I think you will change your mind. I have trained students and the people who make the best Medics are simply people who have really worked the job. People with no experience prior, often get a wrong perception about what we do, or find it's not the job they thought it was. Some find that in an emergency they can't handle being in charge and making crucial decisions. Some can't handle the stress or the gross stuff we get to deal with.

On another note, I wish you luck. I know what it's like going through Medic school with 2 small kids and a wife(with one more little boy on the way in my last year). In Oregon the Medic program is 3 years long. The first year is all your prerequisites(EMT-B, Mirco Bio, Chem 104, Bio231,232,and 233) Then the last years is the Paramedic class it's 5 terms long just by itself. Then you have to add in all your ER time and your ride time. It can really stress your family time for sure. I also was working two part-time jobs. One at the local drunk tank, that allowed me to study at night, while I was working. And another at a local grocery store.

Is Oregon's paramedic pay better than other states? Since the education requirements are higher. I hope other states follow soon.

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
Yes the pay is much better, starting is 19.00 and tops out at 28.00-30.00 depending on incentives. Like Lead Medic, FTO, Preceptor etc. The bad thing is you can be a National Medic from another state and want to come to Oregon, But until you have an AAS that meets Oregon requirements. They might let you come in as a basic until you finish your degree. A lot of people try to slide by with a AA in EMS, but Oregon requires you to have all three A&P's at the 200 level, prerequisite for those are the Micro Bio, and the Chem 104. No 100 level A&P etc. The really bad thing is when you try to move to another state like Texas, there posting tons of Medic jobs but they only want to pay you $10.00 an hour. Oregon is very Rural still in some area's, all our Standing Orders are protocol driven. No contacting base for orders etc. So when your an hour or more from the hospital you had better know what your doing. It's more like being a wilderness Medic sometimes.

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Yes the pay is much better, starting is 19.00 and tops out at 28.00-30.00 depending on incentives. Like Lead Medic, FTO, Preceptor etc. The bad thing is you can be a National Medic from another state and want to come to Oregon, But until you have an AAS that meets Oregon requirements. They might let you come in as a basic until you finish your degree. A lot of people try to slide by with a AA in EMS, but Oregon requires you to have all three A&P's at the 200 level, prerequisite for those are the Micro Bio, and the Chem 104. No 100 level A&P etc. The really bad thing is when you try to move to another state like Texas, there posting tons of Medic jobs but they only want to pay you $10.00 an hour. Oregon is very Rural still in some area's, all our Standing Orders are protocol driven. No contacting base for orders etc. So when your an hour or more from the hospital you had better know what your doing. It's more like being a wilderness Medic sometimes.

You must be talking about medics who work for AMR in Portland, most non fire medics in Oregon are working for much less. The teamsters helped with the contracts for Multnomah and Clackamas counties in Oregon and Clark County in Washington. These are some of the best paying medic jobs in the country but they are not that way because of the additional education that Oregon requires, its simply the wages that AMR has to pay in order to be able to operate in that system. I wish we could see more contracts like this one, it would sure be a fair level of compensation for all the time you guys are putting into your medic education these days.

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
No, Eugene, Salem, Medford, Metro, all are starting out about that high now. I had heard that on the coast some places are still paying like 13.00 an hour to start. But minimum wage in Oregon is what? $8.70 I think, so 13.00 an hour isn't much. And our top out rate is almost as much as starting nursing wages ($30.00 an hour). So pay here isn't too bad. Your right though, we take all the same classes as a nursing student, (There were lots of them in my A&P, and Micro Biology Classes) But them we go to Paramedic School and the nursing students go on to making big bucks.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
AVERAGE starting pay for the whole state is probably around 18-19 an hour, maybe a bit less. Same for the top step. And a lot of the reason why it's that high is because of the large number of transporting fire dept's and non-transporting dept's that still hire medics. (Though there are also a couple that pay squat.) Go to work in for Bay Cities or Cal-Ore and I'll almost gaurentee you won't be making $18/hr to start. Hell, go to Treasure Valley (a third service) and you won't get that much. Or Burns...mmmmm Burns... Of course it's still a hell of a lot better than in other states and some of that is due to the degree.

If you are from AMR in Mulco, you might also want to remember how long it takes you to get to the top step in the pay structure...

Which school did you go to that required microbiology as a prereq for A&P? Used to be either take ochem or a low-level chem and bio course.

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
Hey, I'm really sorry, I didn't mean Micro Biology, thats Bio 234. I don't know why that was in my head. Biology 211 and Chem 104 are prerequisites for A&P. Sorry again.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Hey, I'm really sorry, I didn't mean Micro Biology, thats Bio 234. I don't know why that was in my head. Biology 211 and Chem 104 are prerequisites for A&P. Sorry again.
Huh. Now you've still got me curious; numbering system aside, all I had to take was something like chem112 and bio114 (or an organic chemistry class) to get into A&P. Do you know if the 211 was specific to your school or has that become the standard pre-req for A&P now?

Armor10

Forum Crew Member
BI211 is General Biology I, II, III, w/Lab
Designed primarily for pre-professional students majoring in the biological sciences, science education, and related allied health fields. Covers the molecular and cellular aspects of biology including the scientific method, cell structure and function, biological membranes, cell division, inorganic, organic and biochemistry, enzymes, cellular respiration and photosynthesis, biochemical genetics, basic heredity, genetic engineering and DNA-RNA-protein synthesis mechanisms. Prerequisites: MTH60 and RD30; CHEM104 highly recommended.

BI231 is Anatomy and Physiology I w/Lab
Designed for pre-professional students planning careers in nursing, dental hygiene, physical therapy, emergency medical technology, imaging or science. Discusses anatomical structure and physiological processes, including organs, systems, tissues, bodily dysfunctions, and diseases. Dissection required. Students must enroll in lecture and laboratory sections. Prerequisite to BI231: BI211; CHEM104 highly recommended.

Cut and pasted off the college web site.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
BI211 is General Biology I, II, III, w/Lab
Designed primarily for pre-professional students majoring in the biological sciences, science education, and related allied health fields. Covers the molecular and cellular aspects of biology including the scientific method, cell structure and function, biological membranes, cell division, inorganic, organic and biochemistry, enzymes, cellular respiration and photosynthesis, biochemical genetics, basic heredity, genetic engineering and DNA-RNA-protein synthesis mechanisms. Prerequisites: MTH60 and RD30; CHEM104 highly recommended.

BI231 is Anatomy and Physiology I w/Lab
Designed for pre-professional students planning careers in nursing, dental hygiene, physical therapy, emergency medical technology, imaging or science. Discusses anatomical structure and physiological processes, including organs, systems, tissues, bodily dysfunctions, and diseases. Dissection required. Students must enroll in lecture and laboratory sections. Prerequisite to BI231: BI211; CHEM104 highly recommended.

Cut and pasted off the college web site.
Gotta love how each college get's to make their own determination of what the prereqs are. Sounds similar to what I had to take; bio112-cell biology for health occupations and chem112-chemistry for health occupations.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Check out this web site. It from the Oregon Employment department.

http://www.qualityinfo.org/olmisj/O...ype=full&action=report&occ=292041&go=Continue

Looks like Burns is looking to hire, at least temporarily hire a Medic at $16.38, so thats not to bad for Burns.
Hell no that's living like a king for Burns. Long as you don't mind being in the absolute middle of nowhere that is...:p Actually better than I remember them offering the last time I saw an opening.

I wasn't thinking about non-prehospital paramedic positions; that would probably help drive the numbers up versus just counting medics on ambulances/engines.

karaya

EMS Paparazzi
Premium Member
So as my title says, I got laid off at the hospital this week. So I am going to take this opportunity to go to medic school. I am still going to work my EMT job that i just got. But money is going to be tight for awhile, and with 2 kids that scares me. We aren't use to living on a budget, and looking back I really took that for granted. But if we do get in a bind I will pick up another part time job if I have to, but i am going to try and see how it all pans out.
Wish me luck. I start Jan. 19. I am getting excited now!!!

Good for you and good luck!

claytondirk

Forum Probie
in texas you can go strait from your basic to medics the next semester and take a&p and medical terminology at the same in your first semester but varies from school to school

Jeffrey_169

Forum Lieutenant
I tried to work in a burn unit once; I quiclky thought better of it. When the RN handed me the "Brillow" pad and told me to scrub the burn I simply could not bring myself to do it. I know it is a necessary procedure, and I thank God above there are those of us who can do it, but I also accept the fact I am not one of them. It takes a special person to work in a burn unit, and if you can do it, my hat is off to you.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
in texas you can go strait from your basic to medics the next semester and take a&p and medical terminology at the same in your first semester but varies from school to school

There are even schools out there that will take you right off the street and turn you into a medic. You do EMT-B first, of course, but it's just the first however many weeks of the program, and then you go right into medic.