Job Interview

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Good news fellow EMTs... I have an interview at Trinity Mother Frances Hospital working as a tech in the ER Friday. The only problem is when I fillied out the application, it clearly stated that one of the requirements was one year EMS experience. I dont quite have 1 yr experience, but I did complete nearly 200 hrs of clinicals durring my basic program, half or more were at the hospital I am appying at. But you know me, I applied for it anyways... whats the worst they can do... say no?

I do need some advice... how can I convince the interviewer that I am qualified even without my year of experience...? I did go above and beyond durring my clinicals, and I passed the NR on my first attempt.

Also, something that I ran into durring a previous interview for a differnet position was my previous employment. When I left my last job (cashier at a small grocery chain), I did not give any notice. I didnt give any notice because I had to move unexpectadly, and there was no way I could drive back and forth. What do I tell the interviewer when they ask me if I gave my previous employer notice when I left. As soon as a say "no", they always start the next question, and I dont get a chance to finish. I believe this has cost me 2 jobs already.... WHAT DO I DO?

vtemti

Forum Captain
Always stick with the truth and be sincere with everything that you say. As far as the experience, well that will be up to them, but be yourself and you will eventually come out on top.

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
So when it comes to the other job.... if all they give me a chance to say is "yes" or "no".... I should say "no"... will this cost me a job?

vtemti

Forum Captain
I can't speak for anyone else, but honesty riegns with me. I am our department head and do the hiring/firing. I think more of the people that are honest with me than I do if I catch someone in a lie, but then again, I also let people explain their situation. Some of the best people that I have hired have been the ones that I originally have had doubts about.

vtemti

Forum Captain
Is it possible for you to get a referral from your Instructor? This may or may not help, but worth a try.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Go with the truth on the "give notice" question... really important. Don't make in sound like you have an excuse for everything, but make sure the interviewer knows what happened.

As for the 1yr of experience, don't make a big deal of it, but a ref. from your instructor would probably help.

Jon

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Well its kinda late for the referal now since the interview is Friday, and I wont have a chance to talk to him. But thank you for the help. I greatly appreciate it. i just dont wanna screw this up. I really want this.

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Any other informatoin would be GREATLY appreciated. This will only be my 3rd real interview in my life. The first was good, the second was a little bumpy, and I want this one to be the knockout... beyond perfect.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
A couple of interview tips:

- Dress nicely, it really matters
- Write a thank you letter after the interview, it'll make you stand out (templates available on the internet)
- Be on time
- Be honest

Good Luck!

Around here it's almost impossible to get an ER tech position without experience, but we're in a highly populated area.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MMiz@Aug 3 2005, 02:48 PM
A couple of interview tips:

- Dress nicely, it really matters
- Write a thank you letter after the interview, it'll make you stand out (templates available on the internet)
- Be on time
- Be honest

Good Luck!

Around here it's almost impossible to get an ER tech position without experience, but we're in a highly populated area.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
If all that fails... Either cry, or pretend to passout or slip. Then talk about them "doing the right thing" and Mention law suits a lot. I seen that on TV.

My first interview was rather interesting, I think the director was hitting on me. HE wasn't my type, but I got the job anyway. He was sad to hear that I was going to get married, to my WIFE. :lol:

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by MMiz@Aug 3 2005, 02:48 PM
That is what I am affraid of here... my problem is getting the darn experience. I have an interview for another job at a call agency next week that is almost certain to hire me. It'll get me through school, at least until december, even though it will suck. But all my prayers are for the ER Tech job. I couldn't get the letter of recomendation from my instructor, but I did get a local Fire Cheif that I know to call the hospital (he knows people). I did 90% of my clinicals at his dept, and I have known him for about 8 yrs. Maybe that will help.

Maybe I can have an anxiety attack... or start complaining of chest pain... i have seen that enough, i think I have it mastered... LoL My interview is in the ER... so they can treat me.

What I dont underthand is ER Tech here really their job is more common sense than anything. They mainly just restock, and then every once in a while, they start an IV line. How much experience do you really need.... They dont actually leave the pts care in the ER Techs hands around here. Hopefully I can make a good impression.

vtemti

Forum Captain
Just be yourself. If they don't hire you, then you have done your best and it will be their loss.

Good Luck!

Dan

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Yes their loss, and no money for me ;) I thank everyone for your advice. less than 12 hours till the interview. I need to sleep, but I can't. ;)

I feel retarded for being this nervous. But I am ready to start my life. I need and desperatly want this job. The trick is not letting the interviewer know that :D

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Something that employers look for is confidence without being cocky.

Dress sharp, listen to their questions, pause then answer calmly. Speak in a good tone with good eye contact.

TELL THE TRUTH! If they have already done a background, they catch you in a lie, it's over.

Just like in law enforcement interviews.......... the truth is best. Yes we get polygraphed to see if we tell the truth. Law Enforcement is one of the few empoyers that can use it for pre-employment.

If you are serious about wanting to work for them, tell them that and why. Most employers want to kow what you plan on doing with your life and how they FIT into your plan.

Interviewing is definately a skill. Just ask all those unemployed people. I have competed against 50+ people for one postion. I believe strong interviewing skills helped.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by DT4EMS@Aug 4 2005, 10:00 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but I once had an interview where after they got done asking all the questions, one of the ladies on the board said, "First I want to let you know that you are very arrogant." I was :D from ear to ear. She continued, "but at the same time you know your stuff and I think you'll be a great addition to our company. You can pretty much have any position you want."

:D

Oh, they then made me four offers and I turned every one of them down. HA!

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
LoL @ the arrogance of the chimp. Well I don't exactly see that happening with me. But hey... I'm an on the fly guy, so who know what in the world will happen. Well I'm waking up around 5am central time. I have to leave house at 6, and I will check this one more time before I leave to help calm my nerves, and get any last minute advice.

Would it be wise on my part to take a copy of all of my certifications, etc.?

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by emtbass@Aug 4 2005, 09:37 PM

Would it be wise on my part to take a copy of all of my certifications, etc.?
Only if you want the job.

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
oh i want the job :lol: well im gettin ready... I'll let yall know how it went. Thank you for everything.

EMTBASS

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
Originally posted by Chimpie+Aug 4 2005, 09:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chimpie @ Aug 4 2005, 09:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DT4EMS@Aug 4 2005, 10:00 PM
Not to hijack this thread, but I once had an interview where after they got done asking all the questions, one of the ladies on the board said, "First I want to let you know that you are very arrogant." I was :D from ear to ear. She continued, "but at the same time you know your stuff and I think you'll be a great addition to our company. You can pretty much have any position you want."

:D

Oh, they then made me four offers and I turned every one of them down. HA! [/b][/quote]
ROFLMFAO :lol: :lol:

Well....get your butt back here & let us know how it went!

OP
OP
emtbass

emtbass

Forum Lieutenant
Well, Im back... In my opinion it went well. It wasn't exactly an interview though. I got there, and we sat down, and they asked me where I lived, where I was going to school, and why I chose that hospital over the one that is across the street. (the hospital are right next to each other). Those where the only questions. Then the job was explained to me a little better. They told me I would have to clean up "crap", etc. The whole conversation, questions included took maybe 10 minutes tops. Then I was taken through the ED, and given a tour (which I have been in more times than I can count due to clinicals), and that was the interview. Not much too it... VERY simple. I dont know if this is a bad sign, or a good sign, lets keep our fingers crossed.