IV certs for basics.. or is it an Intermediate?

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
So does anyone know if there's a cert or something that a basic can get to give the basic NS, D5W, or LR? I've been lookin around and have heard mixed things. If anyone could link me... that'd be great!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Certain states allow EMT-Bs to take an IV approval course that allows them to start peripheral IVs and administer NS, LR, D50, and sometimes narcan.

Colorado is one.

Here is a course information sheet.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Whether basics can initiate IVs is going to be up to the local system and not dependent on any specific certification. Even if an EMT-B becomes a certifiied phlebotomist, s/he can't start IVs as a basic unless the local system approves.

EMS49393

Forum Captain
Why not enroll in a nice paramedic program that offers a swell degree? Basics shouldn't be doing any invasive skills, period. I'm sure I'll be dead and buried before this job moves past the mentality of "how fast and easy can I be trained to do a bunch of harmful stuff to people." Alas, requiring a four year degree before becoming eligible to become a paramedic is something that will probably never happen in the US.

It's not about skills, it's about education.

OP
OP
DV_EMT

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Why not enroll in a nice paramedic program that offers a swell degree? Basics shouldn't be doing any invasive skills, period. I'm sure I'll be dead and buried before this job moves past the mentality of "how fast and easy can I be trained to do a bunch of harmful stuff to people." Alas, requiring a four year degree before becoming eligible to become a paramedic is something that will probably never happen in the US.

already working on that... just need a 1000 EMT hours and then im set

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
So get those 1000 hours of EMT instead of worrying about adding more to it, since your end goal will cover those things anyways.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief

What he said

OP
OP
DV_EMT

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
problem is that there is EMT-B saturation in Ca.... really freaking hard to get a job on a rig let alone a hospital

JPINFV

Gadfly
In most parts of California getting a job isn't hard. Getting a job at a decent company is another question.

EMS49393

Forum Captain
problem is that there is EMT-B saturation in Ca.... really freaking hard to get a job on a rig let alone a hospital

Look, the class took 120 hours to complete. I bet it takes longer to get through school janitor orientation. Of course there's an over abundance of EMT-B's. Heck, you can't sling a dead cat without hitting one. So instead of looking for these bogus little certs to attempt to prove your worth, it's best to channel that energy into something productive, like an anatomy and physiology course, some chemistry, and English class or two, etc., while you're waiting to get into and complete a paramedic program.

I'm going to be a lot more interested in hiring someone that is going to college rather than someone that took a 3 week EMT class then attempts to pass themselves off as being special because they took a weekend class so they could do harmful things to patients with no educational background.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Or move out of CA and go to somewhere that doesn't have that silly requirement and has a progressive system

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Look, the class took 120 hours to complete. I bet it takes longer to get through school janitor orientation. Of course there's an over abundance of EMT-B's.

Actually it is a certificate program at some of the tech school that can require up to almost a year to complete all the modules to be a well trained/education janitor. People have invested thousands of dollars in their flooring and don't want them "harmed".

Or move out of CA and go to somewhere that doesn't have that silly requirement and has a progressive system

Allowing an EMT-B to do more "skills" is not a progressive system. It is just a patchwork of FAIL. The education and oversight are too little which does have a great potential for harm to the patient.

Do you realize in some areas of Canada and other countries, "BLS" requires more education/training than the U.S. Paramedic? For this reason, studies like OPALS can not be used as an argument in the U.S for the effectiveness and appropriateness of BLS only.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Allowing an EMT-B to do more "skills" is not a progressive system. It is just a patchwork of FAIL. The education and oversight are too little which does have a great potential for harm to the patient.

I think he meant progressive in not requiring basic experience to enter a Paramedic degree program.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I think he meant progressive in not requiring basic experience to enter a Paramedic degree program.

I was also taking note that this is another California situation as JPINFV explained. There is nothing progressive about it because oversight for each of the counties has the good and the very, very bad.

Whether basics can initiate IVs is going to be up to the local system and not dependent on any specific certification.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

This was what I was trying to get across, and also a system where higher education is mandated to be a medic

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Now way in hell that an EMT-B should be able to start IVs.

wvditchdoc

Forum Crew Member
What about Combat "Lifetakers" in the Military, 3 day class and off you go? :)

8jimi8

CFRN
its different when the people you are working with are likely to get blown up in front of you.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
What about Combat "Lifetakers" in the Military, 3 day class and off you go? :)

And the reason that class exists is because it has saved countless lives in the field. You can in no way compare a CLS to a CONUS EMT. It has practical purpose for this situation in this environment, it has zero application when back home.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
So does anyone know if there's a cert or something that a basic can get to give the basic NS, D5W, or LR? I've been lookin around and have heard mixed things. If anyone could link me... that'd be great!

No, not where you live or anywhere near where you live. Our Medical Director for Santa Barbara and Ventura is a very conventional when it comes to the EMT scope of practice. Which is a good thing.

* I understand DV_EMT's plight about getting his hours around where he lives. There is only one employer many miles in any direction and they are an employer with a great reputation for EMS employment in southern california, and by that token are very hard to get employed with. *

**DV, NCTI does not require 1000 hours**
***But be sure to not take their stupid 5 day A&P and do a real one at City College***

Last edited by a moderator: