Is it a bad idea to float a LGTB thread here?

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
It was mentioned in Clare's thread about females in EMS. I am none of the above (L,G,T, nor B) so I can't speak as to how inappropriate or useful it might be from that standpoint.

Not saying anyone replying is LGTB, but would this be a good or bad idea for this forum? (With my history of sensitivity and unanswered threads ...:blush: ).

PS: I always think it is a little regrettable when someone has to public define themselves by an inherent element, such as "male nurse" or "female doctor".

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I do not think it is a bad idea as along as it does not turn into a religious debate about morality. I am sure there are many LGBT people working in EMS and like any other minority group are faced with issues and challenges that they must overcome.

I really never had much exposure to the LGBT community until college and even more so in nursing school. Just recently we did a few health fairs at a local LGBT center, it was a great experience.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

I'm hoping the mods will make a decision here, they see much more of the activity on the site than we do and can smell trouble brewing. And when it comes to trouble, I'm a regular Mr Coffee.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

OK not so good an idea.^_^ zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Veneficus

Forum Chief
OK not so good an idea.^_^ zzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I am not saying it is a bad idea, but I would be curious what it would really add?

Is there anything in EMS that specifically affects the LGBT community that is not found outside EMS?

In my experience in EMS I have seen this community shunned, abused, and sometimes even accepted. But that doesn't seem too different from what the people experience outside of EMS.

I even know of one person who carried a gun and wore a ballistic vest because he was afraid of his coworkrs. But again, it doesn't seem like it doesn't happen outside of EMS too.

Anyone have any opinions on what it might add or not?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I'm hoping the mods will make a decision here, they see much more of the activity on the site than we do and can smell trouble brewing. And when it comes to trouble, I'm a regular Mr Coffee.

If there is a topic that revolves around this and EMS, one is welcome to create a thread about it. It will remain open and public as long as it meets our Rules, just like any thread.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
I see no problem with it. I wouldn't have much to contribute really, and would probably never post in the thread, but if we have LGBT members who want to talk about any unique challenges they face being LGBT and in the EMS community (I wouldn't even be able to begin to enumerate what those challenges are!) I see no problem with it being here.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I think the overwhelming consensus is, nobody would have any issue with a specific thread dealing with LGBT issues, but we don't need a "sticky thread".

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
If you have a question or issue to ask, do it. But don't create a LGBT threat just for the sake of creating/having a LGBT thread.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
If you have a question or issue to ask, do it. But don't create a LGBT threat just for the sake of creating/having a LGBT thread.
This. In my memory, not one of those threads has gone well, and part of that has been their lack of purpose and subsequent hijacking. At least this time we're having the meta debate before the thread, and not in it.

I am not saying it is a bad idea, but I would be curious what it would really add?

Is there anything in EMS that specifically affects the LGBT community that is not found outside EMS?
Also this. Defiant ignorance, while endemic to EMS, isn't unique to it.

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

As I said earlier, probably not a good idea as a thread. Not enough professional material to keep it afloat versus crude jokes (my specialty) and moralisms (my bane). That's why I floated this rather than just opening one. Or did I?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I know many male nurses, and many female doctors. I've gone drinking with members of both groups, and tried to go home with at least one female doctor (trauma surgeon actually, good times). they were not LGT or B.

I happen to think that EMS has more LGT and B people that other occupations. Many openly LGT & B people too. My shift has a flaming gay man (he walks in the room and the sprinklers go off), and he is treated like every one else. We have a lesbian supervisor, a gay supervisor, a lesbian medic, and probably several bisexual people, maybe more if the girls drink too much. It's really a non-issue.

I have seen some LGTB people teased when they were new. I've also seen Jews, midgets, old people, stupid people, all teased when they start, and it's not malicious. It has nothing to do with a person's orientation, it's just how we treat new people. and if someone tells them to stop, it stops (well, with everyone except those with Boston accents, but we are an overwhelmingly Yankees agency).

If you want to stat a thread, go nuts. I think you'd find bigger issues to LGTB in a fire house than in EMS.

Last edited by a moderator:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I know many male nurses, and many female doctors. I've gone drinking with members of both groups, and tried to go home with at least one female doctor (trauma surgeon actually, good times). they were not LGT or B.

I happen to think that EMS has more LGT and B people that other occupations. Many openly LGT & B people too. My shift has a flaming gay man (he walks in the room and the sprinklers go off), and he is treated like every one else. We have a lesbian supervisor, a gay supervisor, a lesbian medic, and probably several bisexual people, maybe more if the girls drink too much. It's really a non-issue.

I have seen some LGTB people teased when they were new. I've also seen Jews, midgets, old people, stupid people, all teased when they start, and it's not malicious. It has nothing to do with a person's orientation, it's just how we treat new people. and if someone tells them to stop, it stops (well, with everyone except those with Boston accents, but we are an overwhelmingly Yankees agency).

If you want to stat a thread, go nuts. I think you'd find bigger issues to LGTB in a fire house than in EMS.

Same exact thing here. We have LGTB employees and it is a non issue. Everyone gets made fun of its just the way things are down here. It doesn't matter if you are LGBT, white, black, yellow, purple, orange (unless your from jersey shore :rofl: ), or any other color of the alphabet.

There was an issue of the fire department and police that handled a gay patient badly. They all (both departments) got mandatory training to make that issue never occur again. In our area we can not have an issue like this due to our cities rep as a LGBT city.

It's pretty much viewed as "ooh sweet he is gay, I don't have to worry about him hitting on any female nurses".

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief

Nailed it here. Same as my experience and I think most in EMS's experience.

It's not an issue.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
There was an issue of the fire department and police that handled a gay patient badly. They all (both departments) got mandatory training to make that issue never occur again. In our area we can not have an issue like this due to our cities rep as a LGBT city.
San Fran by any chance?

just out of curiosity, how did the fd and pd you handle a gay patient badly? sexual orientation isn't one of the questions i ask. I mean, if I'm assessing a female trauma victim and I find a twig and berries (or a priaprism), I might double check that, but other than that, they get treated the same whether they be straight, gay or miscellaneous (which is a simpson's joke, not a slam).
It's pretty much viewed as "ooh sweet he is gay, I don't have to worry about him hitting on any female nurses".
and he can be a great way in, as many girls will gab with the gay guy, and he can give you insight into the confusing chaotic mess that is the female mind. or put in a good word for you or do recon for a girl you have the hots for.

silver

Forum Asst. Chief

This sentence pretty much demonstrates the major thought process of individuals in this regard. We treat 'em like everyone else and I don't see an issue, but I'm just going to use a pejorative phrase to describe that individual...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
San Fran by any chance?

just out of curiosity, how did the fd and pd you handle a gay patient badly? sexual orientation isn't one of the questions i ask. I mean, if I'm assessing a female trauma victim and I find a twig and berries (or a priaprism), I might double check that, but other than that, they get treated the same whether they be straight, gay or miscellaneous (which is a simpson's joke, not a slam).
and he can be a great way in, as many girls will gab with the gay guy, and he can give you insight into the confusing chaotic mess that is the female mind. or put in a good word for you or do recon for a girl you have the hots for.

It was just PD and the fire department that handled the patient badly (I'm a private EMS company). I'm not too sure what happened. It's one of those things that they try to sweep under the carpet.

And no not San Fran (6+ hours away lol). It wasn't assessment wise from what I've heard.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey, how about starting a pagan EMS thread as well? I'm sure we are a minority as well :D

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

Sure. This has gone well so far. What about treating people with Wiccan or such beliefs?

OP
OP
mycrofft

mycrofft

And no not San Fran (6+ hours away lol). It wasn't assessment wise from what I've heard.
Old son, on any given Wednesday at 1530 hrs, that six hours could be BERKELEY!