I think I might have scared off a trainee

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Yesterday, we had a 19 year old trainee with me and my partner, on her first shift after certification and on her way to release. We had 13 calls, and only two of them where of the BS "My foot hurts a little" variety.

It started out simple enough. The previously mentioned "foot pain." But the shift started at 0600, and by 0930 we had a massive stroke at a movie theater with a janitor, a cardiac arrest of a 40 year old male, a partial amputation below the elbow at a tree nursery, and a three car crash with a two car confirmed pin.

And that was just the start. Throughout the day, we had another stroke, an industrial explosion (some solvent went up in a train yard, no one actually hurt) a working fire at a nursing home with multiple inhalation injuries, and ended the day three hours late with a 7 year old boy who was involved in a hit-and-run with a pickup truck (broken femur, fibula and tibia on the right leg, CNS intact).

This was just one of those days where it never stopped. We managed a few seconds to buy lunch at Blimpie's, and before we could even open the bags we got another call. We tried to explain to her that this was unusual, that although we are usually busy we weren't usually full of this many calls, let alone of the "Ohmyfreakinggodwhat'sgoingon!" variety. But I don't think she bought it.

She had a good time, it seemed, and actually got three pages of her checkout book done in one shift, but I'm afraid she might not come back after a first shift like that. But, then, people that get into EMS aren't the usual, normal sort of folks. This might have been the best first day ever.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Holy hell that's a lot of "Ohmyfreakinggodwhat'sgoingon!" calls. Remind me to not to live in Norfolk.

I hate my white cloud... but it beats getting that many calls like that.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
If she is cut out for EMS, she will go home exhausted, but happy. And she will wake up the next day and say "wow, that is what I want to do".

We all know that feeling.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
See, I'd love my first day to be busy. I hope my rides are like that... B.S. calls and all!

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Trial by fire. Literally.

OP
OP
P

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Holy hell that's a lot of "Ohmyfreakinggodwhat'sgoingon!" calls. Remind me to not to live in Norfolk.

I hate my white cloud... but it beats getting that many calls like that.

It was actually Virginia Beach. But yeah, it was busy, but that was pretty unusual. We all get those crazy calls, but all in one day... Man, it was insane.

She came back, so I guess she must have enjoyed herself. Even said that her next shift was SOOO BORING... So I guess she's cut out for it after all.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I'd love a shift like that on my internship starting next week :D

8jimi8

CFRN
i'll take a few rotations like that... but let's wait until.... after july 20th, so that I can actually practice some ALS, rather than just splinting, boarding and bagging!

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
Yesterday, we had a 19 year old trainee with me and my partner, on her first shift after certification and on her way to release.

Many 19 year olds just aren't mature or ready to handle a day like you described...especially being a pretty green basic. Good to get a day like this out of the way now...she'll either adapt and overcome, or get out. Either way, it should make her a more capable provider and give her some direction as to where her EMS career will go.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Holy Cow! 13 calls?!?!?

Man, what I wouldn't do for a shift like that once in a while. I have done like 4 shifts in the past 5 days (mostly backups......) and gotten one call. When I was a trainee, I was getting good stuff on every shift, trauma, cardiac, resp. you name it. The week I went primary (about a year ago) things dried up and haven't started up again yet. (Except when I'm not on. Blah........)

Take today for instance: I get off at 0600 this morning. Didn't get a single call last night. (Or the night before for that matter.) As soon as I'm off, they get a call, 50 y/o M poss heart. (Turned out he was going into V-Tach) No sooner are they out of sight then backup gets a call for an unresponsive F who was thrown from a horse. Then primary gets back in service and promptly gets an IFT. Backup calls back in and gets sent out right away something else. (can't remember what for right now) they just got back in service like 3 min ago and now are on their way out to a 14 y/o M with a busted lower leg, bones protruding thru the skin. Primary is probably just about back in town and I'm guessing the calls won't stop. (Untill 1800 tonight when I get back on. :p) Figure that out.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
P

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
Holy Cow! 13 calls?!?!?% big

That' snot unusual for us, honestly. We get about 8 calls per 12 hour shift, at least. Any less is quite an anomaly.

What WAS unusual was the nature of the calls. Most of the calls we get are the usual Priority 1 Cardiac which results in a monitor but turns out to be heart burn. Or a breathing difficulty that turns out to be a panic attack. Or a stubbed toe. We usually have a couple big calls a day, like car accidents and stuff like that. But this time, the ratio was something more like 90% big calls and 10% BS.

Momof7

Forum Probie
Are you kidding!!!! I would have loved a day like that. I went to a small town er and waited for hours for an old person who fell to finally come in. I rode with our erea peramedics and the most I did was spike a bag and fill a nebulizer thingy wahooo. I know I am sick all my friends think so but I so badly wanted to do something. CPR, combitube, anything. Don't get me wrong I don't want anyone to get hurt or die I just want to be there when they do. Is that bad?

MendoEMT

Forum Crew Member
When I first started I would have killed to have a day like that, but now I realize that I'm just fine and dandy sitting back, running a few calls and getting paid to sleep.

Remember, EMS stands for "Earn Money Sleeping"-_-

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
I remember my first night on a ride along, it was the instructor from my class and we had a bunch of calls including getting toned out at 3am for a code, cpr in progress... we got there and worked her all the way to the hospital (volly serivce so we ended up with 2 medics 2 basics and myself) but she ended up passing and although it was defiantly a little difficult to watch some one die and loose a pt for the first time I knew after that night that this is exactly what I want to do!