I don't wear a watch to work

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I am not sure what my problem is, but I hate wearing a wrist watch. I use to take pulse and respiration's by discreetly utilizing the patients wrist watch during the process (unbeknownst to them). In the event this was not possible, I used my Nokia cell phone, which looked like its from the early 1990's, however it finally stopped working and I replaced it with a smart phone. I am not so crazy about pulling out my smart phone with blood or god knows what on my gloves, then opening apps to find a stopwatch feature. I started carrying a cheap wrist watch in my pocket, but I lost it at work. So now I am considering getting a pocket watch (with a chain connected to my belt loop). Anyone else do this? I realize its probably more logical to carry a digital athletic style stopwatch, but it just does not call out to me in the same way. Anyone else not wear a wrist watch? If so, what do you use for work purposes?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I don't wear a watch, either. I can tell by feeling if a heart rate is too fast or too slow by feel. If its fast, slow, or irregular then they're getting put on the monitor anyway. The same goes for respirations. I can tell by looking if they are fast or slow- if they are, they're likely getting an EtCO2 anyway.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
I can't stand stuff on my wrists either. I have a watch I modified to hang on my stethoscope just about where I would hold it.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Along the same line, I find it interesting that Paramedics can wear whatever kind of watch you see fit, but if you are Nurse, doing the exact same vital signs as a Paramedic, you are expressly forbidden to wear a watch and must use one of those clip-on Nurses watches that has a second hand.

Oh and sorry but I love my watch and could never part with it :)

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
I just got used to wearing a watch...

Rin

Forum Captain
I hate wearing a wristwatch too. Lately it's been getting caught on the cot handles when I'm lifting, causing the knob to dig into my wrist. I'm actually developing a little scar in that spot lol

I'm considering getting one of those little 1/2" dia. clip on watches (not a full-on pocket watch). Now the question is where to clip it. I've already lost my badge once.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
A friend of mine has a watch that attaches to his belt then folds down for viewing. Kind of a pocket watch, kinda not I guess.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Just get a g-shock watch and get used to wearing it. I don't even notice I am wearing it anymore.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
Never wore a watch before EMT school, and always wear one now when I'm out of the house. I'm on the computer a lot when at the house and it is very uncomfortable, so if I'm in the house I'm not wearing it. But anything from going to dinner to going to work I always have it. Just makes things easier. It's a TimeX WR100M. Digital with big numbers is what I needed, as I just don't have the eyes to efficiently read an analog watch.

Never had an issue with it getting caught on anything, its a very well made and well rounded off watch. Only issue I have is it being uncomfortable to wear while typing.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I wear a watch when I'm on calls.. but don't wear one much otherwise, in fact I've forgotten mine on a few calls in the middle of the night. I would get one that fit around your scope. Just decon it regularly with your scope

UnkiEMT

Forum Truck Monkey
Premium Member
I'm with STX. I never wear a watch, but unless they are extremely fast or slow, I can estimate heart rates to withing +/- 5, and resp rates to +/- 2, which is good enough for me most of the time. If I need more precise number than that, I"m going to be hooking them up anyhow.

OnceAnEMT

Forum Asst. Chief
If I need more precise number than that, I"m going to be hooking them up anyhow.

Exactly. In school and on my BLS truck, we didn't have a monitor. Just a pulse ox, which took a while for an accurate pulse reading. In the ED, the only time I use my watch is to confirm the time for documentation or the date. And to keep track of lunch.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Problem solved
unade9u4.jpg

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
You get use to it. I only wear a watch while on duty, and I never notice it. You'd look ridiculous with a pocket watch.

titmouse

aspiring needlefairy
I am used to it already and I believe not having a watch will lead to a write up.