I don't wear a watch to work

281mustang

Forum Lieutenant
You don't need a watch to know how your pt is doing. For the 99% of pt's who's rates are a non-issue it's entirely irrelevant if my estimate is off a few beats. For hemodynamically unstable patients, if I palpate a pulse that is obviously SVT or extreme brady I wouldn't waste time counting an exact rate even if I did have a watch so either way I personally see no value in it.

That, and I absolutely hate the feeling of a watch on my wrist.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I had never seen (or noticed) the watch attached to a stethoscope until you guys mentioned it, I thought this was kind of a good idea, as someone else said you can decon it with the rest of your scope and it stays with your work stuff. However, its does not hold as many whacker points as Tim's watch...
AnalogueStethWatch.JPG

Drax

Forum Captain
Try attaching one to the clipboard you're using to write the vitals on?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I used to wrap a timex around the neck of my stethoscope and that worked ok. Then I got a real watch and decided that I actually like the look of my Sunto and the timex went away...

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I can't remember the last time I wore a watch on an ambulance.

one of my coworkers attached something like this to the V of his cardiology III
5187-02.jpg

I just got a regular digital watch, with a velcro wrist band, and wrapped it around the neck of my scope, which is always on me.

problem solved

spnjsquad

Forum Crew Member
I just started wearing a watch recently, and I gotta say it can be annoying at times. I don't know, I just don't like the feel of it. You could do what others are saying and just get a strap for your belt. Makes things much easier.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I wear a paracord bracelet with a green ribbon on it for Mental Health Awareness in honor of my ex and my old friend and coworker who took his life last year. Wear a watch on the other wrist...

Takes a little getting used to wearing stuff on your wrists but it's nice being able to look at the time without sliming my phone. I wear a really nice watch that has a rotating rim that works pretty well for timing when I can give another dose of a drug provided I remember to twist the dial. I get comments all the time about how it's too nice of a watch and it's going to get destroyed. Stainless steel and a sapphire crystal ladies and gents, stands up better than the cheapies ;)

Guess I'm the odd one out?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I wear a paracord bracelet with a green ribbon on it for Mental Health Awareness in honor of my ex and my old friend and coworker who took his life last year. Wear a watch on the other wrist...

Takes a little getting used to wearing stuff on your wrists but it's nice being able to look at the time without sliming my phone. I wear a really nice watch that has a rotating rim that works pretty well for timing when I can give another dose of a drug provided I remember to twist the dial. I get comments all the time about how it's too nice of a watch and it's going to get destroyed. Stainless steel and a sapphire crystal ladies and gents, stands up better than the cheapies ;)

I wear a thin white line paracord bracelet that I knotted myself, but I have been considering putting green trim on it. That's on my left wrist. A Nixon Unit or Gshock on my right. I just am nut a fan of watches. I did buy a nice MVMT watch for dressing up

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Very little respect for a field provider without a watch. BLS at least.

What do you expect me to say when you tell me the pulse is 160? Do you really think you can estimate rates outside the ones you're used to?

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT
Very little respect for a field provider without a watch. BLS at least.

What do you expect me to say when you tell me the pulse is 160? Do you really think you can estimate rates outside the ones you're used to?

I 've always worn a watch in the field, but honestly I could probably give you a pulse rate within 5 bpm in under 15 seconds... But I have a degree in percussion performance and plenty of conducting courses.

Someone without that background could learn to do it quickly and efficiently by purchasing a metronome and listening to various bpm for a few hours.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader

Nah, I wear a nice watch with a rotating bezel and a chronograph on it too. Also, it has Tritium hands that stay illuminated for a half-life of 25 years. I like cool gadgets, and my number one interest when the pager goes off at oh dark thirty is exactly what time it is and how much longer I have until shift change.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
I 've always worn a watch in the field, but honestly I could probably give you a pulse rate within 5 bpm in under 15 seconds... But I have a degree in percussion performance and plenty of conducting courses.

Cheater! :D

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Call me a prude, but I can't help but feel that I am falsifying documentation if I go by feel and intuition alone. Sure I'll hook um up to the monitor and god knows what else(c02,ect) in a lot of cases, but that is not always the first set of baseline vitals I get, nor do I hook up 100% of patient's to the monitor, plus as we all know the monitor can be dishonest at times. In addition to all that, sometimes **** happen's and I like the idea of knowing I can fallback on a primitive device for some things, even its significance is small compared to everything else.
However, I am really impressed with all the different watch ideas people have provided, I was really surprised by how many people do not wear a wrist watch. I'll let you know what I decide to do when I make my final purchase.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
I am not sure what my problem is, but I hate wearing a wrist watch. I use to take pulse and respiration's by discreetly utilizing the patients wrist watch during the process (unbeknownst to them). In the event this was not possible, I used my Nokia cell phone, which looked like its from the early 1990's, however it finally stopped working and I replaced it with a smart phone. I am not so crazy about pulling out my smart phone with blood or god knows what on my gloves, then opening apps to find a stopwatch feature. I started carrying a cheap wrist watch in my pocket, but I lost it at work. So now I am considering getting a pocket watch (with a chain connected to my belt loop). Anyone else do this? I realize its probably more logical to carry a digital athletic style stopwatch, but it just does not call out to me in the same way. Anyone else not wear a wrist watch? If so, what do you use for work purposes?

I do not wear a watch as I constantly break the straps doing CPR. Instead, I take wilderness vitals: absent, slow slow, slow, normalish, fast, fast fast, "slap pads now please".

vcuemt

Ambulance Driver
I almost never wear a watch outside of work but we're required to wear one on-duty so I do. I don't mostly use it for vitals though... I usually find myself looking at it for the time on the vitals or treatments. Me and the tablet don't function on the same wavelength and it always seems to decide to erase or shut down when I need it the most so I prefer using a paper MIVT and transferring to the electronic medium in the truck after things have calmed down.

If you don't like wearing a watch... tough? You've chosen a profession where watches are part of the uniform. I don't like wearing a tie but I still do when I go to my day job.

OP
OP
ExpatMedic0

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
If you don't like wearing a watch... tough? You've chosen a profession where watches are part of the uniform.
Ummm.. no? Don't quit your day job...

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
If you don't like wearing a watch... tough? You've chosen a profession where watches are part of the uniform. I don't like wearing a tie but I still do when I go to my day job.
Thanks for pointing that out, expat. Provided for quite the chuckle [emoji1]