Hurricane Harvey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Heard something like 600k totaled cars. Within city limits alone
Yep not counting secondary damage like with water in gas and out in the counties

Sent from my LG-LS993 using Tapatalk

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Yep not counting secondary damage like with water in gas and out in the counties

Well I started in katy where houses were fully submerged and nothing's changed between there and ~~25 miles east of Houston, we've been working our way across... FEMA is feeding some major bs up my nose too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
Anybody get asked what we need down in Texas chalk up jet fuel/ fuel for helicopters top of the list

They were sending the River Medical guys with a small load of fuel. Thing is the unit that was towing the trailer was the same unit I took to Houston the same day... I had to fill up the gas tank 4 times just to make it(that was without towing). It runs on gasoline and goes through half a tank every 40 min. Was pretty challenging since a lot of areas were sold out. Wonder if they even made it-_-

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
They were sending the River Medical guys with a small load of fuel. Thing is the unit that was towing the trailer was the same unit I took to Houston the same day... I had to fill up the gas tank 4 times just to make it(that was without towing). It runs on gasoline and goes through half a tank every 40 min. Was pretty challenging since a lot of areas were sold out. Wonder if they even made it-_-

A fellow emt lifer to remain anonymous helped us and got us some fuel for our Bird. But we will still need more lol. The Helios I've been on have been going nonstop almost. Upmost respect for the pilots/mechanics.

Side note/rant/soap box: why does it take for such a disaster to reunite a country/region. Idk if I'm even allowed to say this here, but I have seen all types races, orientations, ages, and sizes help each other here. I don't know for the other responders helping down here but it's going to be a shock(for a few days) for me to go from this environment, back to Le work back home. Everybody has been nothing but thankful(even local medics/ff/Leo) for the nations help.
/end rant

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
Idk if I'm even allowed to say this here, but I have seen all types races, orientations, ages, and sizes help each other here. I don't know for the other responders helping down here but it's going to be a shock(for a few days) for me to go from this environment, back to Le work back home. Everybody has been nothing but thankful(even local medics/ff/Leo) for the nations help.
/end rant

I think its just where you work. I went down to Beaumont after Rita and i had the same experience. I want to say its a southern thing. Living in the northeast makes people hard. Its weird

BASICallyEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
A fellow emt lifer to remain anonymous helped us and got us some fuel for our Bird. But we will still need more lol. The Helios I've been on have been going nonstop almost. Upmost respect for the pilots/mechanics.

Side note/rant/soap box: why does it take for such a disaster to reunite a country/region. Idk if I'm even allowed to say this here, but I have seen all types races, orientations, ages, and sizes help each other here. I don't know for the other responders helping down here but it's going to be a shock(for a few days) for me to go from this environment, back to Le work back home. Everybody has been nothing but thankful(even local medics/ff/Leo) for the nations help.
/end rant

I have rarely been out of Cali.. I'm also a minority and I was shocked on how polite the residents of Texas actually were. Definitely a day/night difference from California. I'm just not a fan of rural areas. Even had a car tailgate us and of course he had California plates.. Was actually pretty funny.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
When I was sent out to Sandy in New York let’s just say that the people we encountered were less than friendly

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
When I was sent out to Sandy in New York let’s just say that the people we encountered were less than friendly

Indeed. I love coming to the south.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
not surprising... sorry u had to witness that. lol
part of me wants to come back to texas when its not underwater, but part of me says no thanks to the open carry sword law.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
That just lets us reenact the latest episodes of GoT. It's no biggie, especially because of the guns.

On a serious note, gas has been a problem, but it is going to get better. The crappy used car/salvage market is going to explode, if you're wanting to take a 'running' once-flooded ride.

It's weird, but up in North Harris County, it's almost like the storm didn't happen. FM-1960 looks exactly the same and until you get into individual neighborhoods, its like nothing happened. Surprisingly, Ella Blvd didn't flood...

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Well what do you know... I made it in a picture on EMTlife...

Currently in Houston on DRT. Been to some pretty devastated areas. Wild.

Irma is expected to get stronger and hit hard if it makes landfall. Unknown if they'll hold onto us or send us packing.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
@SandpitMedic My team was supposed to be let go wednesday/thursday.. however, that decision will be made on a day to day basis. depending upon where it decides to go.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Yeah we are unsure if we will be demobilized anytime soon. Our team only had a few logistical missions and a few transport missions.
The local and state entities are getting back to business as usual in most areas. The problem is the areas surrounding the Buffalo Bayou and other local waterways at this point. Some of the reservoirs need to be released again, which will cause reflooding of areas where the water has receded. Most evacuations have already taken place, there are a lot of law enforcement protecting from looters and trying to warn people of returning.
I spent most of my day yesterday in flood boundaries in the cordon zones, we only assisted with one rescue. Talked to a lot of state troopers who were brought in from other areas of Texas about the reflooding.

So far we've been to NRG stadium and local AMR offices for staging, as well as street posting for calls. We have three strike teams with us. We've been hoping for some real critical FEMA missions to come through, but like others have said it's more hurry up and wait than actual missions. We'd like to help out more in East Texas before we get demobilization orders. We shall see.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Wonder how many of you will come my way in about 8 days or so.... :)

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
I'm guessing quite a few. I know it sounds selfish, but I really need this disaster season to give it a rest because I have school and the GI Bill waits for no hurricane.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Wonder how many of you will come my way in about 8 days or so.... :)
I was guessing... keyword... that Irma may actually mimic Ike. The 1100 update from NHC shows a more southernly track heading over Cuba and into the GOM where it may intensify and turn in a northbound direction.

It's still too early to tell, but I took a peek at some of the models and the track that Ike took, and thus far they are similar.

FL as well as the Gulf states should start preparing, just in case. We should have better forecasts and models in the next couple of days.

Also... I missed you last time you were in my neck of the woods. Perhaps I'll see you in yours next week ;)

Of course, there's always the scenario where Irma fizzles or heads out to sea.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I was guessing... keyword... that Irma may actually mimic Ike. The 1100 update from NHC shows a more southernly track heading over Cuba and into the GOM where it may intensify and turn in a northbound direction.

It's still too early to tell, but I took a peek at some of the models and the track that Ike took, and thus far they are similar.

FL as well as the Gulf states should start preparing, just in case. We should have better forecasts and models in the next couple of days.

Also... I missed you last time you were in my neck of the woods. Perhaps I'll see you in yours next week ;)

If it mimics Ike, my little island will cease to exist. As will my county

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
You'll have the support of TF-2/1NYS & NYS air national guard and the PJ's that come with it @akflightmedic!
I may be staying in texas for 2-3 days since going from texas-> florida is easier then texas-> NYS-> florida.
I just want to be on solid land for one day. Idk how flight medics and nurses do it, I've gone crazy pulling 14 hr days on helicopters lol.

From what i gather everything will become much clearer come Wednesday/Thursday. At least thats what the ever so productive folks at FEMA tell me.

TraumaTart

Forum Ride Along
The Mobile Alabama Sheriffs' Dept loaded up their ' chuckwagon'/mobile canteen with deputies, grub and ammo and headed to Houston.As of Mon 9/4 10,000 hot meals have been served to first responders.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader

Don't tell me we're sitting in the same damn parking lot the last two days and haven't met up.

We've been at NRG since Sunday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro