Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Other post-graduate certificates or degrees

Votes: 9 10.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
We chronically complain about the levels of education (and/or training) in EMS, and how providers need more than just 110 hours of Basic class and a thousand or so of medic classes to be good providers. There have been many suggestions here that providers need courses in psychology, sociology, literature, English (composition, etc) in order to be competent.

When I started at the company I work for, it seemed that all of the field providers had at least a college degree, and very few of our supervisors or managers. Is that still true?

To that end, I'm proposing a quick survey-- looking at what level of higher education (EMS or otherwise) YOU have.

Your choices are:
HS Diploma/GED
Some Undergraduate (AS/BA/BS) education, not yet completed
Undergraduate degree (BA/BS)
Masters-level Graduate degree, not yet completed
Masters-level Graduate degree completed
Doctoral-level, not yet completed
Doctoral-level, completed
Other post-graduate certificates or degrees

Please check ALL that are applicable.

terrible one

Always wandering
AS currently. Graduate with a BS next June.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
BS in History, along with many EMS related certifications and training, Along with LEO certifications and training

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
AAS in Nursing, paramedic certificate, various EMS certifications, various fire certifications, and a partial degree in education.

OP
OP
M

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I'll venture to ask: Do you think an Associates or Bachelors should be required in some discipline in order to work in EMS?

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Nearly an AS, plus military experience. I agree we need nore educatuin, but I dont think a formalized colkwge prigram is the obly, or even best, way to get it.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
GED (homeschooled, so that was my option) and currently finishing up the semester for BSN school with a biology minor.

FourLoko

Forum Lieutenant
I have an all but useless BA degree that I obtained years before starting anything EMS related.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
MD/PhD in 30 weeks.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
MD/PhD in 30 weeks.

Not long now! That must be exciting!

Various undergrad, a BS, a Masters, and I'm trying to decide if I can afford to head to the UK to do Karim Brohi's Master of Trauma Science.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Not long now! That must be exciting!

Various undergrad, a BS, a Masters, and I'm trying to decide if I can afford to head to the UK to do Karim Brohi's Master of Trauma Science.

I had the good fortune 4 years ago to spend some time at the Royal London Hospital (original building) with Mr. Brohi. One of most amazing doctors I have ever met.

His bedside manner is absolutely inspiring.

On grand rounds I watched him call a patient by name, ask her how she felt, and when she started crying and saying she was afraid she couldn't go back to work and what would she do for money, he sat down on the bed, stroked her forehead and spent the next several minutes (don't recall how many) assuaging her fears by sharing his experience with her about her condition and pointing out how her life might not be the same, but still valuable and she would be able to work again.

I have never seen any other surgeon do such a thing.

I would consider it a lifetime achievement to work for him.

Last edited by a moderator:

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I had the good fortune 4 years ago to spend some time at the Royal London Hospital (original building) with Mr. Brohi. One of most amazing doctors I have ever met.

His bedside manner is absolutely inspiring.

On grand rounds I watched him call a patient by name, ask her how she felt, and when she started crying and saying she was afraid she couldn't go back to work and what would she do for money, he sat down on the bed, stroked her forehead and spent the next several minutes (don't recall how many) assuaging her fears by sharing his experience with her about her condition and pointing out how her life might not be the same, but still valuable and she would be able to work again.

I have never seen any other surgeon do such a thing.

I would consider it a lifetime achievement to work for him.

Karim's a very nice guy. You know you're a hell of a trauma surgeon and physician when Ken Mattox describes you with respect in his voice.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow, you wouldn't even see that many physicians doing that here, let alone surgeons. I would love to do his course, but it is rather expensive when considering all the costs like travel and stuff. Maybe Santa will be good to me this year...

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
I graduated high school, went to school for a nearly (if not completely) useless BS degree, then I went and got a more useful AS degree and the license that goes along with it. Now I'm going to school for EMT-Basic.

I think I've gotten addicted to education. HELP!

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Sorry, I should have said nearly a Masters as completing it would involve getting off my behind and handing in my final paper. Maybe one day...

the_negro_puppy

Forum Asst. Chief
Bachelor of Science
Master of Management studies

(completed while in military)

Now study a diploma of Paramedic science, and hoping to get into medicine 2013

I think 3 degrees and a diploma should suffice :p^_^<_<

Rettsani

Forum Captain
I have a secondary school leaving certificate, a completion of vocational school,
an occupation certificate from the glaziers Guild, one "Rettungshelfer" certificate (EMT-B) and a "Rettunngssanitäter" certifikate (EMT-I). And some typical Certification for ambulance service staff from medical device manufacturers.

^_^

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Bachelor of Science
Master of Management studies

(completed while in military)

Now study a diploma of Paramedic science, and hoping to get into medicine 2013

I think 3 degrees and a diploma should suffice :p^_^<_<

When all is said and done:
Diploma in Cardiopulmonary Science
Bachelors in Engineering (most likely motorsports engineering unless someone offers me a scholarship to pursue biomedical, aerospace or mechanical)
Masters in Biomedical Engineering
Doctor in Epidemiology

That should do it. The joke goes I won't be happy until I have more letters after my name than in it.