How much did your EMT-B course cost?

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
The topic title pretty much says it all. How much did your EMT-B course cost?

Chimp

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
$ 188.00 ...
I had to pay for the class initially; when the class was complete the local fire dept. association paid me back. They do this for every dept that runs ems services. This way if someone fails, they can retest and pass-or lose their money.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I took mine ten years ago and don't remember exactly how much it was but $140.00 seems to come to mind and that was including all books. It cost nothing out of pocket since my department at the time paid all costs up front.

lastcode

Forum Crew Member
Mine was 700. The state paid most of it since I am on a volunteer agency, and I picked up the rest. I also got 7 credits at the local college for it.

Alpha752

Forum Crew Member
About $515 plus another $130 for books. As with Lastcode, I got 7 community college credits.

Russ

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
$0.00

My previous department picked up the tab for my EMT-B and EMT-I courses. In one year, I was our department's single biggest training expense. I completed my EMT-B, waited 6 months and then took my EMT-I. I also attended approximately 20 other seminars/classes during the year, several of which were out of town. The department picked up all of my travel expenses, also. B)

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I think mine cost about $750 + $100 in books, $100 in clothing and equipment fees, + the endless amount of money I've spent at galls.

I took mine at a local community college, and other places have cheaper rates. I'm glad I took it there though, I think I got what I paid for.

Edit: I also got 12 credits at the CC for it. They don't transfer anywhere, but they're there.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
The place I took mine normally charges $500-600, but I was given the course for free because I'd used them to train about 40 FRs at one of my previous jobs.

Community colleges around here tend to charge in the $100-200 range once you add everything up.

Our department conducts the class for free once a year for personnel who need it.

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
our Primary Care Medic course is about $1500.00.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Originally posted by zomertijd@Jun 23 2004, 10:06 PM
Roughly $550 if you include textbooks and the charge for the state test. Paid out of pocket.
Sounds like a good price to me.

By the way, welcome aboard! It's good to have you around, and hopefully you continue to post, you could win the contest!

See ya around

cbdemt

Forum Lieutenant
About $600 including books, exam fees, etc. Also 8hrs of CC credit.

I think I went about things backwards though. I took the class, then joined a dept which I was later told would have paid for everything. OH well! :)

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
In my county it's $55 if the volunteer department pays for you, about $800 if you or your employer pays.

The critical care class is $125 for volunteer departments and $1,400 for paid.

Medic classes run about $5,000. My fire department will pay you 1/2 of the tuition upon graduation. I know other departments in my area won't pay anything.

Rescue1EMT

Forum Ride Along
I feel pretty lucky: $115 for the books and instructor fee and a $25 state exam fee. And thats the average for EMT-B classes in the Western part of VA

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Hey, you're from Salem VA - I went to Washington & Lee in Lexington. They have a great rescue squad there, but they wanted too big of a commitment for a party-minded college girl to make while in school. ;)

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
WoW!

Mine was $375 and this was many, many years ago.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
About 900 with book and shirt. It was through a private technical school though and yes m fully aware I got ripped off lol

Anjel

Forum Angel
I think mine cost about $750 + $100 in books, $100 in clothing and equipment fees, + the endless amount of money I've spent at galls.

I took mine at a local community college, and other places have cheaper rates. I'm glad I took it there though, I think I got what I paid for.

Edit: I also got 12 credits at the CC for it. They don't transfer anywhere, but they're there.

This