How many 2 job guys around here?

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I've been looking for another job, basically looking for better insurance. cause we have none, better pay, and something a little closer to home.

However a lot of agencies are hiring Per Diems only, most EMT's and paramedics in my area work 2 or 3 jobs, 1 full time and 2 part time. Or really crazy 2 full time and one per diem. I think I am one of 2 people at my current job that only works 1 job.

My biggest issue with this is a lot of employers won't take on full time employees cause they know they can flood themselves with a pile of Per diem employees to soak up shifts.

Theres a few the "cream of the crop" employers that you start off part time, bid into full time and go from there. but the pile of applications to get a job there is a disaster to run through. The one I applied to I was fit to meet their criteria and they were interested but they have 4 stations that you would rotate to. 2 of which are about 2 hours from my home, which I didn't see beneficial financially by no means.

So whats your take? is it just so common to get EMT's and Paramedics to work 2 or 3 jobs that full time employment is becoming a non exsistant commodity?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I have one full time and one part time. Trying to get another part time. Interview on Tuesday !!! ;)

I have one full time job at the moment. Not sure if I am going to pick up another.

Last edited by a moderator:

DrankTheKoolaid

Forum Deputy Chief
I would be willing to bet having a single job in EMS would make you the minority.

OP
OP
U

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I would be willing to bet having a single job in EMS would make you the minority.

apparently it is.. I was doing the double job thing for a while but having an hour between shifts, having to go to another station to shower change and start all over again got to be too much. I could see how my patient care started to decline in the wee hours of the near end of the shift I never sleep right at the station since Im always listening for the pager. And padding my income wasn't worth decreasing my patient care IMO.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
There was a stretch for a little while that I had four different employers. I'm down to two right now, and my part time is very sporadic and likely to end soon. It was never a money issue, as my FT job pays exceptionally well; I just enjoyed it.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I have been part time at my current place for the last eight months. Since then I have worked 30 hours a week as a student athletic trainer for the last three months of college, fulltime for a fire district contract ambulance for two months (quite after a no notice transfer to a base 65 miles away), and now I am starting another fulltime deal with the city contract ambulance on Monday.

I made the most money when I only worked part time and could pick up an unlimited number of shifts. The fulltime place I was at for two months paid minimum wage, so even with some part time shifts thrown in I was still making less.

Unfortunately summer is over and less vacation is taken at the part time place so I can no longer rely on 40+ hours a week there, hence the new place. I will stay on at the current place as they are probably in the top 5-10 places to work statewide and if a fulltime spot opens I want to be in contention.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I work full time (more than full time....) EMS, and I teach part time on the side. Mainly EMT-Basic and MFR/EAC/EMR. Some Paramedics and fire/rescue.

Plus I'm on the local volunteer fire department. So I stay pretty darn busy.

And does getting ready for white-tail season count as a job?

truetiger

Forum Asst. Chief
Right now just full time because I'm also a full time student. Some time in the not so distant future it'll be full time accountant, part time medic.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I've had at least 2 jobs since I started working paid EMS. right now i'm doing to 1 job and taking all the OT I can. it's actually about the same amount of money at the end of the year.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The county is full time, with a fair amount of OT if you want it. I'm an instructor for some card courses on the side and I still work part time at a radio station. One full time EMS job is enough. A little down time is important.

However, in the past, I worked 2 full time jobs, working 2 48s a week, with occasional extra 12s and 24s wedged in the down time. That got old quickly.

citizensoldierny

Forum Captain
Was working just one job but now need to look for another as the one job in an effort to save money has now gone from virtually unlimited overtime to none, effectively cutting my take home pay in half.:sad:

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I have 1 job that pays very well in a clinic setting... I volley every now and again as I enjoy doing 911 calls.

realmedics

Forum Ride Along
I agree with everyone else - you'll be hard pressed to find medics that are only holding one job. However, the second or third job doesn't HAVE to be in EMS... as others have indicated, many medics will work a completely different type of job on their days off. Be careful of burnout... just because you CAN work 3 EMS jobs doesn't mean you SHOULD, and your safety and the safety of those around you can be compromised without time off.

I enjoy teaching at EMS academies on my days off. That way I can help others within my profession, but I'm not actually on a rig running calls (and getting worn out). I'll also work a special event standby every once in a while.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
One full time. One PRN. Waiting up hear back from another full time so I can go part time at my current full time gig

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
One job + Army National Guard here.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
One day job (4x10's or 9-6ish weekdays), 1 volly EMS job (board member as well), 1 part time EMS job, and 2 part time teaching jobs...plus other things.

You know, the devil makes work for idle hands and all...

OP
OP
U

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
I see well the thought has been If I get a second job I might just go work for firestone or something like that.

I have a degree in Auto Tech, and Machine Trades. unfortunately in this economy being a skilled machinist isn't valuable anymore. As they can get CNC machines to do the same job in China for a significantly less cost.

My biggest issue is a lot of places will eliminate full time jobs in place of 2 of 3 part time people. It gets frustrating when your looking for a better gig, and THey say well we lost a full time employee but were not picking up a new one were going to fill it with part time employees since we all know people in EMS work 2 or 3 jobs.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
My biggest issue is a lot of places will eliminate full time jobs in place of 2 of 3 part time people. It gets frustrating when your looking for a better gig, and THey say well we lost a full time employee but were not picking up a new one were going to fill it with part time employees since we all know people in EMS work 2 or 3 jobs.

Interesting, our area agencies lean on part timers until positions are filled then steer clear of us. In fact some are increasing the number of EMT and Intermediate part timers so that they aren't forking out the "big bucks" on paramedics (quote fingers for obvious reasons).

As a board member I can tell you it is much harder to juggle a huge list of part timers due to FLSA rules and the impact on benefits/etc.

terrible one

Always wandering
Start FT work in a week but I'll be keeping my PT job as well.