How big was your EMT-B class?

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
started with 23 i think, 13 took the class final, 9 took the state test, and 9 passed.. including me (just found out tonight!)

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
35 started, 12 finished, 4 are able to test for license.

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
Most of it was people dropped in the first two weeks. Plus this class was an 80%=C where most of the schools around here are 70%=C. I am starting my paramedic course this fall and wish it was 80%. I am all for having higher standards. I know atleast 4 of the remaining 12 are still waiting for the state to clear thier backgrounds. They still have to do all thier clinical and ride time before they can test.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Most of it was people dropped in the first two weeks. Plus this class was an 80%=C where most of the schools around here are 70%=C. I am starting my paramedic course this fall and wish it was 80%. I am all for having higher standards. I know atleast 4 of the remaining 12 are still waiting for the state to clear thier backgrounds. They still have to do all thier clinical and ride time before they can test.

If schools are going to demand high standards they must step up and meet those standards. Saying go home, read and learn (because after all, students are responsible for everything in their text) or else, is not teaching. That's called a state college!! EMS requires an actual educator to do his / her job as well as the student. Some things just require everyone to do their part.

The background stuff no one can do much about...has to be done.

ihalterman

Forum Crew Member
I agree with what you are saying. But, there also needs to be some display of motivation, discipline, and even a bit of passion from the students. I don't want an education that is tailored to allow the marginal students success.

I am glad that so many people dropped. They weren't committed. I don't want an EMT or Medic working on my family or friends that wasn't committed to learning his/her vocation.

I feel for the rest of the people that didn't pass, but at least they were committed enough to finish the class. Some will repeat it, some just stayed in for the six credit hours.

Thee instructors, in my opinion, did an outstanding job. We were tasked with learning the didactic material. They would lecture us over it, if we didn't understand something it was up to us to ask questions.

A large portion of the failures in this class, were students that only cared about the practical skills. They felt no need to understand why we do this or that. All they wanted to know is how to do it.

livewiremaxx

Forum Crew Member
started out with 28 students, 22 graduated class. For the NREMT test, so far I havent heard anyone failing and more than half have taken it. This was the largest class for our county ever

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
We started with plus 100 and about 5 drop each lesson, 2nd week in

Where the heck are you taking the class? My program had 30, and 22-23 finished the class. We basically lost one or two people each module.

I wouldn't want to do skills labs with 100 people. You'd need at least 25 stations to meet state regs. That's a lot of cpr dummies.

MidwestFF

Forum Crew Member
Started with 29, 12 took class finals, 10 qualified to take state practical skills, 8 passed skills first time and where able to take state written. Out of the eight testing for written I don't know how many passed beyond myself.

Looking forward to starting medic school in a couple of months.

EMTRabbit

Forum Probie
St. Michael's in Newark. There's a lot of instructors and they broke the remaining 70 down into groups of 10. I sit in the front of the class so no problem for me.

alyssa_

Forum Probie
We started with 47 and the number eventually whittled down to 20 or 25 people at the end of the final day of class.

It was pretty depressing, since the majority of them failed on the last day when they didn't get at least 240 out of 300 on their final.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
is it really that hard or are people just bad at it

Kinda both.

While EMT really isn't hard when compared to other medical field classes, people ARE going from having pretty much no medical knowledge at all to getting a foundation. Granted it's not a deep and thorough understanding, but it still does throw people through a loop who just aren't good with science / medical understanding.

Though most people just don't take it seriously and fail on behalf of their own not trying.

EMTRabbit

Forum Probie
Kinda both.

While EMT really isn't hard when compared to other medical field classes, people ARE going from having pretty much no medical knowledge at all to getting a foundation. Granted it's not a deep and thorough understanding, but it still does throw people through a loop who just aren't good with science / medical understanding.

Though most people just don't take it seriously and fail on behalf of their own not trying.

Ok so basically take it serious and do your part and you'll be fine.

JiuClaw

Forum Ride Along
Ok so basically take it serious and do your part and you'll be fine.

What I tell my friends and loved ones is that it's both easy and hard. Its easy in a sense that you have a very basic understanding of medicine and common illnesses. The material is not in-depth at all. But its hard because the shear amount of work and homework. (for my program at least) But I will say it IS easy if you put in the effort. It's like conditioning/working out, you get out what you put into it.

Martyn

Forum Asst. Chief
We started with 17 now down to 11 with just a few weeks to go to finals...:unsure: