How big was your EMT-B class?

firemed17

Forum Crew Member
I posted the other day about being shy in front of the class, ect, just found out my class consists of 15 people. Wondering how big your EMT-B class was.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
I posted the other day about being shy in front of the class, ect, just found out my class consists of 15 people. Wondering how big your EMT-B class was.

I think there was 12 at the beginning... but only..8 graduated

emt_irl

Forum Captain
20 started if i remember correctly. a few dropped out after weekend 1 and left us with 16 towards the end. our version of nremt require a mininim of 20 people to sit the national test so we had to write to them and get special allowance to run it with a smaller number.

class was alot more interactive and close with the smaller number

OP
OP
firemed17

firemed17

Forum Crew Member
Just wondering, is there alot of essay work/long written assignments in an EMT-B class? Or is it solely working on skills/ride-alongs/clinicals?

Thanks in advance.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
21 or 22. We had 21 finish the class

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
Just wondering, is there alot of essay work/long written assignments in an EMT-B class? Or is it solely working on skills/ride-alongs/clinicals?

Thanks in advance.

Hmm, I did alot of bookwork, we were required to have the workbook completed with each of the chapters. Reading was the main part. Still dealt with alot of hands on practicals. Alot of note taking. Never really any essays. My instructor gave us random fun assignments.. like how to spell Sphygmomanometer and knowing what it is.. (I will probably NEVER forget how to spell that... lol)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Hmm, I did alot of bookwork, we were required to have the workbook completed with each of the chapters. Reading was the main part. Still dealt with alot of hands on practicals. Alot of note taking. Never really any essays. My instructor gave us random fun assignments.. like how to spell Sphygmomanometer and knowing what it is.. (I will probably NEVER forget how to spell that... lol)

Now saying correctly, that's another matter :p I just call it a cuff :)

red_head

Forum Probie
We started with 4 more than we finished with, if my memory serves me correct. We ended with 10.

3 women. 7 men

firecoins

IFT Puppet
3 inch by 5 inch

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

EMT012

Forum Crew Member
We had about 30 in our EMT-B Class. I believe only 2 failed (the state test). In all our class and Instructor(s) were pretty awsome!! LOL> Guess it helps when you have Instructors who also happen to be your relatives. ;)

I had to retake the state test 3 times and passed on the third and last time. (I was always off by one point!!)

Last edited by a moderator:

dudemanguy

Forum Lieutenant

Thanks in advance.

My class was mostly lecture, followed by learning and practicing skills. We had workbook assignments that had to be completed for each chapter and that was it for writing assignments. We did have to fill out soape reports too.

I wouldnt stress out about EMT-B class. Its easy as long as you study and try hard. Probably the only thing that I considered challenging was the testing at the end of the class and maybe some of my ambulance clinicals. Most of the time I thought it was fun, probably the only schooling I've ever had that was fun.

I thought my CNA class was harder to be honest. Try taking care of 6 patients at once instead of one. We had 2 students walk out of class on break during our first clinical.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
EMT-A (ambulance), 1978

About 32 EMT students, about 30 didn';t drop out. EMT was not locally mandatory for FF'ers yet.

My articulated four year RN/BSN program started with about 150 or so, ten percent male; by the end of the four years about forty made it, including four males, and one make got his degree and then foreswore ever working in nursing and got a job as a bartender.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I thought my CNA class was harder to be honest. Try taking care of 6 patients at once instead of one. We had 2 students walk out of class on break during our first clinical.

Hmm... 6 non-acute patients... or one critical patient who is crashing right in front of you. Yeah... Sounds like the medical field was spared 2 people who couldn't handle stress, to be honest. That, or CNA isn't what they thought it would be in the real world.

I did plenty of time in EMT and Medic school in different parts of the hospital handling many patients at once. I would never view handling multiple, stable, patients harder than dealing with one unstable one. That's why many ICUs I've been to have a 1:1 or 2:1 patient:nurse ration. Heck, how many MCI's do CNA's have to handle anyhow? (Waits for Lucid to hit me with her experiences :p )

I had more on my hands dealing with my crashing CCT patient then I ever had with my multiple room patient caring I did in clinicals.

mojo3120

Forum Ride Along
About 25 on day one, around 20 on the last day.

Just finished last month. We had a great class, awesome instructors, awesome Medics on ride times, lots of fun. After spending 200+ hours with each other, we were all pretty close by the end.

We had no written work, it was all lecture (w/ lots of open discussion), hands on practicals and tests. I'm sure that's going to vary by instructor though.

mcdonl

Forum Captain
We had about 22 at the beginning... ended with 16. All 16 passed the class and state practicals on 5/22, so far 3 of us have passed the registry.