home remedies that work

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Ok, let's hear 'em.

No scientific evidence required.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Vick's vaporub on the soles of feet for coughing.

Ginger for nausea.

Heat for mild aches and pains.

Duct tape for warts.

Showering with dish soap after exposure to poison ivy.

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
Bee and Wasp stings.

Apply Vinegar and Baking Soda made into a paste, onto the sting site to relief pain.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Vinegar is remarkable. Toenail fungus (vaporub is good for this too), taken orally I've seen raw apple cider vinegar help with coughs, congestion, and fever, and with systemic yeast issues.

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Apply Vinegar and Baking Soda made into a paste, onto the sting site to relief pain.

Haven't heard that one before, have heard of using meat tenderizer for cooking.

Something that I have seen work but cannot explain, holding peeled potatoes on the wrist to drain tooth abceses.

If I didn't see it, I would not have believed it.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients

Something that I have seen work but cannot explain, holding peeled potatoes on the wrist to drain tooth abceses.

That's how I feel about the vaporub on the feet for cough. If it didn't work time and time again, I wouldn't believe it.

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz

The vinegar amd baking soda works really well...we had to use it just the other week as there was no antihistamine cream available ...it works very quickly, with good results!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
That's how I feel about the vaporub on the feet for cough. If it didn't work time and time again, I wouldn't believe it.

I'm going to have to try this one.

I have one that doesn't work. A tiny bit Vick's Vapor rub under your nose for a terrible smell. Works for like 2 minutes then the Vick's does what it's supposed to do and opens up your nose so the smell just get's stronger :rolleyes: ask me how I know.

Gargling salt water for a sore throat works pretty well to relive some discomfort and has always worked for me to help speed up the whole cold process.

Rubbing alcohol soaked cotton balls microwaved and in a plastic cup held over the ear for ear infections always helped me when I was younger too.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

EFDUnit823

Forum Crew Member
Gurgle salt water for a sore throat

Garlic for everything but good breath

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
My mom and little brother likes to put banana peels over bug bites/mosquito bites. <_<

I feel like the Vick's vaporrub thing is a troll to see if people are dumb enough to actually put it on their feet, lol. :p

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Without scientific evidence, it's junk.

That is not true.

Many medications were dispensed for centuries without knowing how they work.

ATrain

Forum Crew Member
Get a cut, scrape, or any other sort of open soft tissue injury?
Rub some dirt in it.

Sprains, strains, bruises?
Walk it off.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Get a cut, scrape, or any other sort of open soft tissue injury?
Rub some dirt in it.

Sprains, strains, bruises?
Walk it off.
Now that's trolling for sure, lol. :p

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
My mom and little brother likes to put banana peels over bug bites/mosquito bites. <_<

I feel like the Vick's vaporrub thing is a troll to see if people are dumb enough to actually put it on their feet, lol. :p

I put it on the feet of coughing toddlers. They stop. They aren't tuned in enough to get the placebo thing. It totally works, though I've never used it on myself, cause it feels so dumb.

Right now, my 6 yo has a cough every night at bedtime. She gets a little vicks and it settles right out. I think that is just drama though, so maybe we could put vicks down as a treatment for hysterical drama?

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Steam therapy for persistent cough and sinus congestion.

Water intake and ambulation for sinus headache.

Hydrogen pyroxide (gargled) for sore throat.

My dad told me that, when he would have croup as a child, his parents would feed him coal oil and sugar