home remedies that work

74restore

Forum Crew Member
A glass of hot milk with a table spoon of melted butter and a tablespoon of honey mixed in help relieve cold symptoms quickly. My russian grandparents made me this for years when i was sick. Worked every time.

They also believed alcohol reduced foot pain/swelling.

A plate of chopped garlic on the table helped reduce the spread of disease or virus when a person in the house was sick.

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
That is interesting, I have noticed that wounds heal better when you put the sticky side of the bandage on the cut rather than the white absorbant part.

I don't know if it is something in the glue or that it holds the raw edges of the cut together. I just know most mechanics (or similar) who cut themselves while working usually just put on the tape and keep on working. :unsure:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Torn fingernails: clean the area, dry with alcohol (let evaporate), then re-approximate the edges a closely as possible and cover with steristrips and superglue (cyanomethacrylate). Make sure rough ages are covered so no snagging. It will let you get on with things until you care to address it properly; I have seen it stick for up to two days. Also lets any superficial injury from the tear heal. Do not do this over infected sites or foreign objects.

Heel pull (overextension of achilles tendon with pain at distal insertion) or bruised heel: sit down, wash area (preferably cool water to allow maximum reduction of swelling). Using 1 inch strips of tape (duct, sports, or perforated clear medical tape), and with foot in relaxed position, starting at anterior edge of heel, run a strip from on side, under the sole of the heel, to the other, extend about 3 cm above edge of sole. Overlap and continue to the rear. Stop where you will start making a pinwheel of the tape, and just apply a strip or two long enough to go from where the tape struts on one side, back around the Achilles, and then up the other side the same distance, securing the tape ends. Surprising relief, especially with NSAIDS and rest when possible. Also addresses "driver's heel".

Asthma attack and no MDI: hot coffee, strong, and reassurance. Dark chocolate allegedly helps (theobromine, you know) but I never tried it.

To find and address a sliver: one drop of iodine or betadine on the site. It will tend to "wick" along a porous sliver, or differentially stain a non-porous one. Even if you still can't find it, the antiseptic will help address infection by wicking into the wound even if the sliver is gone or invisible. Cover with bandaid, re-address later.

Use tip of an 11 blade or better yet an eighteen or larger gauge hypo needle to chase and remove slivers.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
I've used very dark (88% cacao) chocolate to help a wheezy pet rat. It acts as a bronchodilator in them. Supposedly it also works in humans as well.

I do NOT however, recommend using chocolate on other species of pets since there is documented toxicity in some other species. It has been shown to be safe in rats though.

As with any pet remedy, run it by your vet before using it. Any wheezy rat I had was brought to the vet first to rule out infection, or other problems.

mycrofft

Vet Med

Used to use something called "Pidge's Oil", a veterinary cure-all, for hay cuts after bucking hay. Had turpentine, sassafras oil, lidocaine, iodine, mineral oil, and a bunch of other stuff. Smelled wonderful.

Here's the latest version:http://scorecard.goodguide.com/chem...01&prod_name=PIDGE'S MEDICATED VETERINARY OIL
I see sassafrass oil is gone, it was deemed a carcinogen..if you drink it!

ANd how about Bag Balm?...Vaseline meets Lanolin!

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
I love bag balm. Great for dry cracked skin.

I also use Vetri-Repel wipes on myself if I'm going out in the woods. The active ingredients are all plant oils. I find it works nicely. A vet I know recommended it to me.

But those are the only two things I use on myself that are meant for use on animals.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
As far as scientific evidence goes, I'd like to at least see a plausible mechanism of action (or know it's a placebo) before using something. As far as home remedies go, I find that chicken soup is a miracle treatment: both nutritious and tasty –:censored:plus, extra fluids don't ever hurt. A hot liquid can help clear up congestion, and helps a sore throat. Plus, there's the possibility that chicken soup may inhibit neutrophil chemotaxis. No joke.

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
As far as scientific evidence goes, I'd like to at least see a plausible mechanism of action (or know it's a placebo) before using something. As far as home remedies go, I find that chicken soup is a miracle treatment: both nutritious and tasty –:censored:plus, extra fluids don't ever hurt. A hot liquid can help clear up congestion, and helps a sore throat. Plus, there's the possibility that chicken soup may inhibit neutrophil chemotaxis. No joke.

And the University of Nebraska would seem to support your claim.
http://app1.unmc.edu/publicaffairs/todaysite/sitefiles/today_full.cfm?match=5163

mycrofft

I pack a vet ear tag remover/cutter as a cheap small V blade for removing straps or clothing (if any resists my shears, or I'm stuck in a tree by my harness.....)