home remedies that work

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Betadine for acute tinea cruris, pedis, barbis (fungus/ringworm), use as a scrub then leave a fresh layer; air dry.

Thin baking soda solution to clean, neutralize pepper spray. (Check it before treating eyes). Ditto too-hot food.

Baby shampoo (no-tears versions) to wash off pepper spray.

Immediately scrub jelly fish sting with lots of sand.

Campho Phenique strategically placed to discourage ticks and chiggers.

Alternate betadine and antibiotic ointment when changing dressings.

Run hot tap water on skin lesions needing to heal faster, especially when there is poor circulation.

Inmate medicine:
Toilet paper=poor man's gel foam
Toothpaste= wound packing and general topical antiseptic. Also paste to put up lingerie ad photos.
Dental floss=suture material. (Needle=sharpened staple or paper clip)

Outbac1

Forum Asst. Chief
For jellyfish stings -- Urine (yours) or wet saltwater muck. All we ever used as kids.

Congestion --- Hot mustard plaster to the chest. Grandmas favorite.

Minor cuts --- Electrical tape. Ask any mechanic.

Severe fever --- Alcohol rubs and cold cloths. All I ever had as a kid.

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Minor cuts --- Electrical tape. Ask any mechanic..

That is interesting, I have noticed that wounds heal better when you put the sticky side of the bandage on the cut rather than the white absorbant part.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
That is not true.

Many medications were dispensed for centuries without knowing how they work.

Evidence-based medicine at its finest.

Its when we insist on using things because we think we understand how they work and we think that they will work, even without evidence, that we run into problems.

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Evidence-based medicine at its finest.

Its when we insist on using things because we think we understand how they work and we think that they will work, even without evidence, that we run into problems.

Like 99% of ems treatments?

What are we to think about things that do work that have no empriacle scientific studies?

Is the observations of a clinician useless?

In your defense of the true faith, might I encourage you to research the limitations and flaws of the scientific method as we know it?

Did you know that less than 100 years ago reproducable studies equating skull circumference with intelligence were considered acceptable science?

Newton even had a law equating mass with velocity. If his science was sound, Einstein's wouldn't have been.

I am not suggesting science is useless, for being considered something of a scientist myself, I am rather fond of it. But it doesn't mean that it is perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sasha

Forum Chief
Mustard on mild burns and sunburns takes the sting out.

Vinegar for ear infections. Works on my pug, anyway.

Arms up when having coughing fits. Grandmother swears on this.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Krazy Glue for split skin or a torn callus, if you need to keep working. Crossfitters use it all the time to keep going if they tear one during a WOD. I love the stuff.

CritterNurse

Forum Captain
I've used the duct-tape wart remover before. Worked great.

To get rid of hiccups, stick your tongue out as far as you can. Can gently tug on it if you wish.

ora-gel on a papercut to take the pain away.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Teaspoon of sugar makes the medicine go down!

Fixed it for ya.

I'll second the electrical tape for cuts. Small strips of duct tape work well too.

mycrofft

Teaspoon of sugar makes the medicine go down!

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

The tape-thing on lacs is because it acts like a steristrip, ditto superglue. I found if you put just a tad of oint or vaseline on the lips of the lac then use the tape to approximate it, the tape could be removed without reopening the wound.
Off label more than home remedy: for a blister, de-roof it and clean it, put antibiotic pint on the floor of the ulcer, then put OpSite or similar "gas-permeable" films on it. No compress, maybe silk tape over it to prevent further friction or the OpSite being rolled away. LEave it on at least 12 hrs. I have seen blisters essentially healed within 24 hrs on heels while being worn on duty IF the blister was 24 hrs old or less when treated.

Oh, and blister prevention? Put silk tape on the site to allow free rubbing and not friction. Use benzoin to make it stick.

PS: Accidentally sprayed aerosol benzoin instead of "second skin" crud onto an abrasion. Stung like a mother but healed quickly without infection.

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
PS: Accidentally sprayed aerosol benzoin instead of "second skin" crud onto an abrasion. Stung like a mother but healed quickly without infection.

Yes it does, but if you use some solarcaine gel with aloe (aka 0.5% lido) first stops the sting.

mycrofft

Love that green goo, but I do not see it around anymore. Maybe it looked too much like lime jello and smelled like mint candy?

No one has brought up peeling and rubbing the juice of an aloe vera plant on sunburn. Had 2nd deg from nape of neck to small of back, resolved more quickly than expected. Probably didn't cause the shingles I had a week later.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
How about if you are choking on an icecube, drinking extremely hot water to melt the ice? LOL

Alot of these actually work, especially if you are away from a doctor office or ED. and the ED uses super glue (but it is medical superglue so that they can charge more).

OP
OP
V

Veneficus

Forum Chief
How about if you are choking on an icecube, drinking extremely hot water to melt the ice? LOL

Alot of these actually work, especially if you are away from a doctor office or ED. and the ED uses super glue (but it is medical superglue so that they can charge more).

ice 0c, body temp 36.6c, why would you need hot water? ;)

mycrofft

Rolling pin to flatten out used SAM splints.

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
What are we trying to cure?

The Jersey Breakfast
Pork Roll, Egg and Cheese w/ Salt, pepper, ketchup on a hard roll
Bloody Mary, strong on the Worcester

Kicks any hangover in the butt

Also, 32oz of gatorade before bed helps the hangover in the morning

mycrofft

Nocturnal GERD reflux with aspiration:

1. Cough all the way to the kitchen (inhale shallowly, cough forcefully without passing out).
2. Wash down a chewed slice of bread with some ice water (squeegees the acid back where it belongs, reduces pain and inflammation in esophagus).
3. Keep coughing.
4. Antacid, PLUS 1 or 2 OTC Zantac washed down with ice water.
5. Keep coughing.
6. One tab of OTC NSAID (not aspirin). Yes, NSAID. Seems it alleviates respiratory irritation reaction, at least for me.
7. Sip ice water, cough PRN and sit up watching cable TV in recliner chair all night.

medickat

Forum Crew Member
Hiccups - Glass of water with a spoon in it. Drink while the handle of the spoon is touching your face. Also, temple massage. They work every time for me, I have no idea why.

mycrofft

Turpentine as a topical antiseptic. (Not going there with it as enteric dewormer etc).
Oh, and clean cobwebs to staunch bleeding.