Help me quit smoking

vtemti

Forum Captain
I need to quit, but have smoked for a long time. Have any of you quit and what helped you?

Stevo

Forum Asst. Chief
uhmm............we could break your fingers?..... :p

no seriously Boss, my S.O. would also like to give it a rest, there's a support line in VT, i'll dig it up....

PS~ so what shall we addict you to in order to keep leading us ? heroin?

~S~

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
I've been trying for 5 years, if you find something that works let me know... ;)

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I quit just by throwing all of my cigs away. If I wanted to smoke another I had to go out and get a pack. I didn't want tos spend $1.50 just for a quick smoke. (That will tell you how long ago I quit.) I may sneak one every now and then if I'm bored and others around me are smoking, but I'm not a smoker anymore.

Basically, get rid of the temptation.

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I quit in 1996. Here is the trick.

I joined a different karate school where contact kickboxing was a must. I was getting beat by people that couldn't even hit hard. I had no wind.

I got tired of sucking wind, quit smoking and was motivated by winning. Find something you love to do, find a way tha smoking interferes with it and give it a shot.

Some sort of physical activity will really help the decision making process. :)

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by DT4EMS@Jul 5 2005, 10:07 PM
Or a fiesty red head that says, "You can either smoke or date me. Not both."

:D

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
Get pregnant. :p
That's how I quit. I found out, threw the pack away, was very angry for about a week and never looked back.
It can be done - you just have to be mentally ready to quit.

Good luck to you!! B)

Frankie

Forum Probie
Whatever u do dont try Welbutrin. Thats the most evil drug out there.
I have recently quit smoking. Yeah im talking under 2 weeks and still going.
I tried the welbutrin and it worked great got having no cravings but ya know i just couldnt deal with feeling like i was on acid.
Cold turkey after that. It was hard the first few days but the local store loved me for buying all their gum.
And no i havent cheated yet.

Good Luck Quitting and i hope you have some support because that means alot when u need it.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
We bribed my Dad with a 26 foot MacGregor sailboat. Worked wonders, he hasn't smoked a single cancer stick in 20 years. :)

I'm working on getting my boyfriend to quit, you have to find someone willing to help you get over the oral fixation. :eek: :wub:

007medic

Forum Lieutenant
Tootsie Pops!! You may get cavities, but you just asked to quit smoking. LOL

No really, I know a guy who would buy tootsie pops, and rather than lighing a cig, he would eat a tootsie pop.

Me on the other hand, I fear for the people around me when I decide to quit.

Good Luck!!

OP
OP
vtemti

vtemti

Forum Captain
Originally posted by Firechic@Jul 5 2005, 10:51 PM
Get pregnant. :p
Now that would really be a milestone since I don't have the correct parts!!!! :blink: :lol:

I have tried the welbutrin, worked great while I was on it. Then we went into the winter season where I spend more time in a plow truck than at home. I think you get the picture especially you current and ex smokers.

Haven't done it yet, but it will be soon. I may fall back to all of you from time to time to give me a kick in the A.........posterior end if that's ok.

Dan

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Jul 6 2005, 09:53 AM
We bribed my Dad with a 26 foot MacGregor sailboat. Worked wonders, he hasn't smoked a single cancer stick in 20 years. :)
Until he goes out on his new boat and you all are not around. :lol:

OP
OP
vtemti

vtemti

Forum Captain
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Jul 6 2005, 09:53 AM

I'm working on getting my boyfriend to quit, you have to find someone willing to help you get over the oral fixation. :eek: :wub:
OK, this could work. How long before you deliver it to me?

And about the oral fixation thing, ummmmmmm....................that could work either way. With the right partner I might just like the fixation, but it would be worth quitting for!!!!!!!!!!!!! :p :p

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Cold Turkey.

I mean eat cold turkey. They had to get that saying from somewhere, right? :huh:

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by Chimpie+Jul 5 2005, 10:19 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Chimpie @ Jul 5 2005, 10:19 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-DT4EMS@Jul 5 2005, 10:07 PM

:D [/b][/quote]
I think Zak (PArescue) is in the same boat...

OP
OP
vtemti

vtemti

Forum Captain
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Jul 6 2005, 09:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Jul 6 2005, 09:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by Chimpie@Jul 5 2005, 10:19 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-DT4EMS
@Jul 5 2005, 10:07 PM

I think Zak (PArescue) is in the same boat... [/b][/quote]
Meaning, physical activity with the fiesty Red head or the smoking thing?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by vtemti+Jul 7 2005, 09:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (vtemti @ Jul 7 2005, 09:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon@Jul 6 2005, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Chimpie@Jul 5 2005, 10:19 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-DT4EMS
@Jul 5 2005, 10:07 PM

I think Zak (PArescue) is in the same boat...
Meaning, physical activity with the fiesty Red head or the smoking thing? [/b][/quote]
The same boat with smoking, except that I don't think the person in question has red hair....