HALL AMBULANCE

OP
OP
wtferick

wtferick

Forum Captain
I'll fill you in.

How it works is All ambulances except a couple BLS rigs are EMT/Medic. Medic techs ALL calls. All fire depts except for one very small one in the mountains are EMT-B's, no medics. It is in our county protocols that when we show up on scene, even as BLS, we take over medical control. On the scene of an arrest, for example, fire would be doing compressions while I would assist the medic in setting up ALS things, as we have more familiarity with the equipment. Our medics have a lot of leeway on how the call is ran, and they are the ones that are directing the scene, while performing all ALS interventions. You will rarely run on a scene with more than one medic. It works very well. This isn't to say that we are better than fire or anything else, but it works pretty much the opposite in LA County.

So basically, the sequence looks like this:

Fire arrives at call and starts BLS measures.
We arrive and take over scene, fire gives report.
If needed, fire stays or rides with us for extra hands.

Also, we are first in quite a bit.
Thank you so much, very well put. I have been wondering that since day 1 lol

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
Okay guys from my understanding, you guys have medic/emt on a tig, what do you guys do if you guys need two medics at scene? Example: intubate while another starts a line.

While it would be nice to have two medics on some calls, we are able to do everything with just one. It just takes strong scene management skills and the ability to prioritize and use your resources efficiently. Once you start working here, you realize that most calls do not need multiple paramedics. The nice thing is that we get to use our skills more. As the only medic, I get all the IVs, tubes, push all meds, etc. If there were 3 medics on scene, I would only get 33% of the IVs, tubes, etc. It prevents degrading skills.

ghost02

CA Flight Paramedic
I'm spitballing, but aside form protocol, imagine if you went to the doctor, but instead of getting the doctor you get a PA. The patients are paying for ALS service, so they get ALS service. Again, that is spitballing but that's how I look at it.

Fire51

Forum Lieutenant
I would love to apply at Hall but I live a good 3 hrs away maybe a little more and don't have the money to travel that distance each week then stay at a motel room on days I work. That's my dilemma right now.

I would love to apply at Hall but I live a good 3 hrs away maybe a little more and don't have the money to travel that distance each week then stay at a motel room on days I work. That's my dilemma right now.
Most people either relocate to the Bakersfield area to work for Hall, or rent apartments with several other Hall employees to make it easier.

Jondoe5150

Forum Probie
Can someone tell me what the average yearly salary is starting for an EMT with hall including overtime? I am in the same boat, really wanting to move to bakersfield but I work as an ER Tech in the bay area now and taking a near 20$ pay cut is hard to grasp. Just curiois how much I could possibly make in the first couple years. And info would be great