HALL AMBULANCE

TRSpeed

Forum Asst. Chief
Just find. A roomate to stay on your work days then go back on your 4 days off

Or you could move to Bako. I did just that.

OP
OP
wtferick

wtferick

Forum Captain
Or you could move to Bako. I did just that.
See i would do that, but i have a gal who needs one more year to graduate in communication disorders, we see went up there to see hall in person and we loved it. I was even thinking of renting a cheap hotel/motel on the days i would work

Word of advice, stay away from Oildale...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1424389935.569417.jpg

CentralCalEMT

Forum Captain
See i would do that, but i have a gal who needs one more year to graduate in communication disorders, we see went up there to see hall in person and we loved it. I was even thinking of renting a cheap hotel/motel on the days i would work

There are also plenty of cheap individual rooms for rent in nice home in nice areas of Bakersfield. That might be cheaper than a cheap hotel. Contrary to popular belief, much of the city is very nice, clean, and safe. If you get hired up here, PM myself or any of the other people on these forums who live in Bako and can tell you if the neighborhood you are looking at is good or bad.

Short of leaving California, Hall is the best place you could go to have an EMS career. While I do not work there (I am a paramedic in neighboring Tulare County), I have over a dozen friends who do and they all enjoy it. Especially as an EMT, Hall is where you want to be without a doubt. Do not mess with any of the BLS agencies down south. While Care is by no means a bad company, the fact remains that you will be one of 6-8 people on any given scene who is at the beck and call of the fire medics. My advice to anyone down there is to rent an apartment/room/hotel, find a roommate, find two roommates, and do whatever it takes to come up here. I made the mistake of not relocating and starting my EMS career in SoCal because it was easy and comfortable, and soon became burned out and stagnant as an EMT. When I came up here, it was a breath of fresh air and I have never been happier. Do not make the same mistake I did, and just begin your career up here :). Good luck!

There are also plenty of cheap individual rooms for rent in nice home in nice areas of Bakersfield. That might be cheaper than a cheap hotel. Contrary to popular belief, much of the city is very nice, clean, and safe. If you get hired up here, PM myself or any of the other people on these forums who live in Bako and can tell you if the neighborhood you are looking at is good or bad.

Short of leaving California, Hall is the best place you could go to have an EMS career. While I do not work there (I am a paramedic in neighboring Tulare County), I have over a dozen friends who do and they all enjoy it. Especially as an EMT, Hall is where you want to be without a doubt. Do not mess with any of the BLS agencies down south. While Care is by no means a bad company, the fact remains that you will be one of 6-8 people on any given scene who is at the beck and call of the fire medics. My advice to anyone down there is to rent an apartment/room/hotel, find a roommate, find two roommates, and do whatever it takes to come up here. I made the mistake of not relocating and starting my EMS career in SoCal because it was easy and comfortable, and soon became burned out and stagnant as an EMT. When I came up here, it was a breath of fresh air and I have never been happier. Do not make the same mistake I did, and just begin your career up here :). Good luck!
Some of the best advice yet! :)

OP
OP
wtferick

wtferick

Forum Captain

Thank you very much, i think i am gonna apply as soon as i get my tax return. That way i have money ready incase worst comes to worst.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief

Part of me wishes I could have made it work and be up there now, part of me is still wanting to chase fire, the Hall guys here can tell you, telegraph any interest to them about any desire to one day go ride a big red engine and you'll have an uphill battle.

OP
OP
wtferick

wtferick

Forum Captain
Okay guys from my understanding, you guys have medic/emt on a tig, what do you guys do if you guys need two medics at scene? Example: intubate while another starts a line.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Okay guys from my understanding, you guys have medic/emt on a tig, what do you guys do if you guys need two medics at scene? Example: intubate while another starts a line.

Well..
You decide what I need more right then. The iv or the et tube.

ghost02

CA Flight Paramedic
I'll fill you in.

How it works is All ambulances except a couple BLS rigs are EMT/Medic. Medic techs ALL calls. All fire depts except for one very small one in the mountains are EMT-B's, no medics. It is in our county protocols that when we show up on scene, even as BLS, we take over medical control. On the scene of an arrest, for example, fire would be doing compressions while I would assist the medic in setting up ALS things, as we have more familiarity with the equipment. Our medics have a lot of leeway on how the call is ran, and they are the ones that are directing the scene, while performing all ALS interventions. You will rarely run on a scene with more than one medic. It works very well. This isn't to say that we are better than fire or anything else, but it works pretty much the opposite in LA County.

So basically, the sequence looks like this:

Fire arrives at call and starts BLS measures.
We arrive and take over scene, fire gives report.
If needed, fire stays or rides with us for extra hands.

Also, we are first in quite a bit.