FDNY EMS Candidates

aq40

Forum Crew Member
The bottom line is nobody know a for sure what this means. People have even asked their investigators and the investigators say they don't know what it means.

I was bit anxious on what it means. I hope I wasn't disqualified or skipped over.

emtnyc2012

Forum Lieutenant
Psych done. All that's left is the medical.

Any one who had there intake on the 21 of Nov , do you remember what the director said about medicals. I recall the man saying something about the end of Dec beginning of Jan.

aq40

Forum Crew Member
Psych done. All that's left is the medical.

Any one who had there intake on the 21 of Nov , do you remember what the director said about medicals. I recall the man saying something about the end of Dec beginning of Jan.

What part of the list are you in?

EMTVeg

Forum Captain
I think they are up to the high 900s for the physical. I don't think it should take 6 months.

Yeah shouldn't take that long. Next class is Feb then the one after that is probably the week after it finished. They go through about 250-300 list numbers to fill a class of 120.

EmtMacho

Forum Crew Member
So I finish everything medical ,physical and psych.How long do I wait to contact my investigator about the status of my app?

aq40

Forum Crew Member
Question: Is there a hire turnover rate in FDNY EMS? It seems many people say its better to work outside the city or in private EMS.

EMTVeg

Forum Captain
So I finish everything medical ,physical and psych.How long do I wait to contact my investigator about the status of my app?

I never contacted mine and from what I understand they won't tell you if you application is "approved"

EMTVeg

Forum Captain
Question: Is there a hire turnover rate in FDNY EMS? It seems many people say its better to work outside the city or in private EMS.

There is a high rate of turnover. Lots of people now leaving and going to fire as well. It is hard to beat a pension system though. You are never gonna be rich in ems so having a solid retirement is a big plus.

Crackcicle

Forum Crew Member

There is a relatively high turnover rate. Working private EMS in NYC generally leaves you with even lower pay, minimal benefits and no job security. Retirement isn't even an option with the privates. The voluntary hospitals in the 911 system generally do pay more than FDNY but can't quite compete with the benefits and the job security that the city offers - hospitals in the city are all struggling to stay open. EMS is not exactly profitable in the 911 system (unlike the privates which are profitable but just generally pay their employees miserably). NYC system is extremely busy - it handles something along the lines of 1.3 million calls/year, system abuse is rampant, depending upon where you work there is a significant chance of micromanaging supervisors, EMT pay is arguably not a livable wage in the NYC metro area (medic pay is better but is still difficult) - all of which do encourage people to leave the job pretty quickly. People do leave the city and work elsewhere - usually places that have a significantly lower cost of living.

emtnyc2012

Forum Lieutenant
There is a relatively high turnover rate. Working private EMS in NYC generally leaves you with even lower pay, minimal benefits and no job security. Retirement isn't even an option with the privates. The voluntary hospitals in the 911 system generally do pay more than FDNY but can't quite compete with the benefits and the job security that the city offers - hospitals in the city are all struggling to stay open. EMS is not exactly profitable in the 911 system (unlike the privates which are profitable but just generally pay their employees miserably). NYC system is extremely busy - it handles something along the lines of 1.3 million calls/year, system abuse is rampant, depending upon where you work there is a significant chance of micromanaging supervisors, EMT pay is arguably not a livable wage in the NYC metro area (medic pay is better but is still difficult) - all of which do encourage people to leave the job pretty quickly. People do leave the city and work elsewhere - usually places that have a significantly lower cost of living.

"I have a sore throat , I need an ambulance" lol .

OP
OP
JPat86

JPat86

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys! Im graduating from the academy this friday. I was told by a source that there will definitely be new clssses in February and april. Best of luck to you guys! Study study study and dont slack! Also. If your a paramedic and going into the academy you will be hired as an fdny emt and in a year will qualify for what is called the mup. Medic upgrade program. There are 7 medics in my class who are graduating as EMTs and will be in the mup program in a year.

Last edited by a moderator:

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Hey guys! Im graduating from the academy this friday. I was told by a source that there will definitely be new clssses in February and april. Best of luck to you guys! Study study study and dont slack! Also. If your a paramedic and going into the academy you will be hired as an fdny emt and in a year will qualify for what is called the mup. Medic upgrade program. There are 7 medics in my class who are graduating as EMTs and will be in the mup program in a year.

Congrats girl..

I am holding off and finishing medic school before I move forward and apply at FDNY EMS.

aq40

Forum Crew Member
Congrats girl..

I am holding off and finishing medic school before I move forward and apply at FDNY EMS.

I think you should take the civil service exam anyway. It usually takes them a year to get back to you and from what I understand if your a medic, you have to be a EMT for year before you can upgrade to medic. Medic programs are usually 10 months so your good.

emtnyc2012

Forum Lieutenant
Received my medical . Dec 18 after this it's all a waiting game. Fingers crossed hope I make the February class