FDNY EMS Candidates

steven9d3

Forum Crew Member
You also have to factor in the ff get overtime and idk if ems chiefs get overtime or time off

Fsanacore

Forum Crew Member
So how does one become a rescue medic?

Crackcicle

Forum Crew Member
So how does one become a rescue medic?

You need to become a HazTac medic first. After a certain amount of time with HazTac (and random other requirements) you can apply for rescue when they have openings. Rescue is a lot more competitive - if I'm not mistaken there are 11 rescue units throughout the city. There is an interview process and it is selective.

Fsanacore

Forum Crew Member
You need to become a HazTac medic first. After a certain amount of time with HazTac (and random other requirements) you can apply for rescue when they have openings. Rescue is a lot more competitive - if I'm not mistaken there are 11 rescue units throughout the city. There is an interview process and it is selective.

Thanks. Sounds like rescue may be an alternative from promotion to fire. The FDNY pays for your training and certifications correct?

Crackcicle

Forum Crew Member
Thanks. Sounds like rescue may be an alternative from promotion to fire. The FDNY pays for your training and certifications correct?

Which training? Assuming that you come in as a medic or if you get into the FDNY medic program - everything else is paid for. HazTac is 2 weeks of paid training and rescue is 1 month. They will not accept any outside training.

Fsanacore

Forum Crew Member
Which training? Assuming that you come in as a medic or if you get into the FDNY medic program - everything else is paid for. HazTac is 2 weeks of paid training and rescue is 1 month. They will not accept any outside training.

Coming in as an EMT, training for medic/rescue medic

Crackcicle

Forum Crew Member
Coming in as an EMT, training for medic/rescue medic

As long as you pass the tests and the requisite waiting periods/length of service requirements everything is paid. For medic training they take you off the street and send you to the academy full-time at your regular pay. HazTac training can be done as an EMT. I think that you need 6 months with the department before you're eligible.

Fsanacore

Forum Crew Member
As long as you pass the tests and the requisite waiting periods/length of service requirements everything is paid. For medic training they take you off the street and send you to the academy full-time at your regular pay. HazTac training can be done as an EMT. I think that you need 6 months with the department before you're eligible.

Thanks for the info. This is definitely a path I will consider. As much as i want to be an EMT, the salary makes me nervous. Going medic/rescue medic will bring in more $$ at the end of the day plus the job description is very interesting

Ryan815

Forum Lieutenant
any one have any study tips for those of us waiting for the next class?.. anything we should get started with studying now ?

Fsanacore

Forum Crew Member
any one have any study tips for those of us waiting for the next class?.. anything we should get started with studying now ?

Honestly, I haven’t studied much since I got certified in 2011. I work full time in a different field and do per diem transport work once a week. I recently started brushing up on my knowledge/skills. I’ve been reading all my notes from when I was in EMS class. From what I heard, the FDNY academy will pretty much teach you their way. I would at least read up on the basics.

Fsanacore

Forum Crew Member

Is it better to take Haztac training as an EMT or wait to get certified as a medic?

Fsanacore

Forum Crew Member
Well, I went for my Physical Agility Test (PAT) yesterday at Ft. Totten. Anyone else go? or coming up?

Ryan815

Forum Lieutenant
For people anticipating going into the next class what are you doing for workouts on your own time?

I'm about 5'11 and 145lbs

I've stuck to a pretty straight forward basic bi's and tri's/ chest and shoulder work out with a 2 mile run on probably 3 or 4 of those workout days (depending on how I feel) haha