EMTLife in 2011

Tommerag

What day is it?

JPINFV

Gadfly
That's been discussed before and we have decided against it. Sorry.

Aww... no Bow chica wow wow? No Chat Roulette EMT-Life style?

This-is-awkward-ChatRoulette.jpg

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Here is another idea, Chimpie.

What about a forum for EMS Educators? I would love a place where I could post a thread about how to use special fx makeup to simulate trauma rather than buying expensive moulage kits, good scenerios for training students to not put their blinders on, and little tips such as covering the Systolic and Diastolic on a monitor with black tape and forcing them to rely on MAP alone.

Example of what I can do in 15 minutes with a $26 kit.

149130_1370573319207_1677970081_709189_2689192_n.jpg

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

What about a forum for EMS Educators? I would love a place where I could post a thread about how to use special fx makeup to simulate trauma rather than buying expensive moulage kits, good scenerios for training students to not put their blinders on, and little tips such as covering the Systolic and Diastolic on a monitor with black tape and forcing them to rely on MAP alone.

149130_1370573319207_1677970081_709189_2689192_n.jpg
I belong to a WWII medical reenacting unit. We've been working on ways to use moulage and special effects to better show the reality of what war involves and what military medical providers deal with. The public seems to have lost sight of this and it's one of our goals to do something about that.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

There is a sub-forum for that already, called Education and Training. One thing to keep in mind that the more sub-forums we have, the more new members have difficulty navigating it and the more cluttered the forum looks. Take a look at firehouse.com for example.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
There is a sub-forum for that already, called Education and Training. One thing to keep in mind that the more sub-forums we have, the more new members have difficulty navigating it and the more cluttered the forum looks. Take a look at firehouse.com for example.

Yes, but that forum is so flooded with degree paramedics vs paramedic and paramedic vs RN threads that posts like mine would end up lost like my Physiology threads.

Tommerag

What day is it?
Any word on what you guys will be planning on changing or adding? Or an idea of when you'll know?

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Any word on what you guys will be planning on changing or adding? Or an idea of when you'll know?

It takes time to make changes. When we want to add something we have to look at what platform we're using now, what we're going to use in the future, how we want to implement the change, etc.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
It takes time to make changes. When we want to add something we have to look at what platform we're using now, what we're going to use in the future, how we want to implement the change, etc.

It's kinda like Geologic change, Gang!

EMT Dan

Forum Probie
Each of us has our favorite threads; stuff we feel it's essential to know, learn or figure out if you're going to get started or get good at this game. So why not let US figure out what an Essential Thread Reading List would be for new people entering this Forum.

I think that's a pretty good idea, also.

One thing I think would be helpful (that might already be part of a "Training" sub-forum) is information about CEs or conferences. One of the things that takes my time I've noticed is being pro-active in trying to find cheap/free CEs, especially being a newbie who isn't aware of everything that goes on. That might need to be something that goes into a geographically-specific sub-forum, though, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

Pittma

Forum Crew Member
The EMS Book Club? I find a distinct lack of mention of books to read, and I think a forum on books and their reviews, perhaps, could be cool?

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I think that's a pretty good idea, also.

One thing I think would be helpful (that might already be part of a "Training" sub-forum) is information about CEs or conferences. One of the things that takes my time I've noticed is being pro-active in trying to find cheap/free CEs, especially being a newbie who isn't aware of everything that goes on. That might need to be something that goes into a geographically-specific sub-forum, though, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

All I will say is that we're working on this idea now.

The EMS Book Club? I find a distinct lack of mention of books to read, and I think a forum on books and their reviews, perhaps, could be cool?

Are you talking about EMS books or novels and such read by people in EMS?

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant

FrostbiteMedic

Forum Lieutenant
OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Let me say this:

Reviewing EMS books - hold that thought, we may have something in the works for that

Discussing novels and such - maybe start a social group about it

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Discussing novels and such - maybe start a social group about it

Like Oprah's book club but only with guests wearing 5.11 Pants with a pair of trauma shears in the pocket?