EMTLife in 2011

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
The Revival Tent!

It's a fun play on words, Okay?

I'm talking a section where medics could go to to either ask for or offer support.

The idea is a space where the intent is to bring up stuff, other than technique, etc., that may be a bit challenging to deal with. Here's where there's room for a lot of out-of-the-box stuff; perhaps unpopular opinions, vexing dilemmas, interpersonal conflicts and Newbie, how do I learn to fit in stuff as well.

Everybody here is pretty good at lending a hand. But sometimes, a quiet plea for help gets barreled over. My proposal is that those who are amidst such stuff have a place where they can actively speak, listen and respond to each other about issues not usually dealt with in the workplace.

The general agreement is mutual respect with an eye toward lending a hand.

YES, I see stuff like this interspersed here and there on this site, but my proposal is sort of an experimental center for medics to go to to learn how to accept and offer support to each other. We can teach each other here, as well. Everyone of us has a personal wall just waiting for us to slam in to.

And those who just ain't into this New Age Claptrap? They don't have to visit! My point is, some medics get nourishment out of going deeper sometimes; let that be part of the culture, too.

No one else is really doing this -- simply making a space for that kind of stuff to happen. Is that because stuff like that just don't happen or is it because that's not what Johnny and Roy did?

Sasha

Forum Chief
Over the past year the atmosphere of the forum changed dramatically. We took the survey results, discussed what was suggested, made changes to the rules and infraction system based on what was suggested from the membership and the leadership team, and over time the most of the concerning issues improved on their own. Action from a community council wasn't needed.

We are still very open to the idea of implementing such a council and may do so in the future. Right now we're trying to get an idea of what else our site can do for the EMS online community.

So basically you appeased people by allowing them to think there would be change in the management enough without having to actually do anything

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
So basically you appeased people by allowing them to think there would be change in the management enough without having to actually do anything
I made a commitment that I fully supported at the time, and that I continue to support, but that I've never taken the initiative to implement. If any of the other Community Leaders were in charge of EMTLife then it would have been done years ago. It's not a matter of if it will happen, but really a question as to when.

This thread really personifies the state of EMTLife right now. We have a strong community with lots of great members and contributions. Chimpie is constantly looking to move forward and create an even stronger community, while 'ole MMiz drags his feet.

Just like Obama and the guy on the street corner on my way home from work, I too want change. It's just that it may take a while.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Certified Jugular

It happens often enough that I read a thread started by a Newbie that I say to myself, "We're a database of info, for heaven's sake! Use us first and THEN ask your questions!"

But maybe we don't make it easy enough.

Each of us has our favorite threads; stuff we feel it's essential to know, learn or figure out if you're going to get started or get good at this game. So why not let US figure out what an Essential Thread Reading List would be for new people entering this Forum.

Here's the idea.

If you have made over 500 posts in this Forum (an arbitrary number, but something that indicates a pretty good familiarity with what goes on here.) and you are aware of a thread that you're sure would be useful to newcomers -- you can dredge up an old post, or ID one going on now -- simply enter the thread, INITIATE a post entitled "Certified Jugular" (if one is not already there), then in the BODY enter your screen name; no other comments necessary, so pick carefully.

That brings the post to all of our attention. Then, as others (with 500 posts) view it, IF AND ONLY IF THEY AGREE, can ADD their screen names to the Certified Jugular post within the thread.

Once TEN of us "rate" a thread as worthy of newcomers' attention, how about the Thread gets moved to (or Copied In) a separate archive for easy reference.

Something like that.

Got the idea from reading http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?p=279951#post279951

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
As a newbie I like firetenders idea. Sometimes it's difficult to find the info I'm looking for on here because I'm not entirely sure what my question is or at least how to word it in a way I can search for it. I've been hesitant to ask certain questions because I know they are dumb questions that have been answered on here somewhere. It would be great if there was a top FAQ section that was set up specifically for folks who are new.

JPINFV

Gadfly
As someone who was... kinda of the straw that broke the camels back, I'll be honest and say that there was a few rather drastic flaws with the community council idea. What I think has happened that has really helped over the past year was a palpible change in how the board leadership has acted, which has calmed down the more veteran and older posters.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
How about a forum dedicated to Brown? We all know how cool Brown is!

How about USAFMedic45's pit of despair?

That would be great. It would be nice if it could be a place where we could discuss things that aren't set in stone... but rather concepts that require individuals to use their own discretion and medical knowledge to come to a conclusion.. kind of like the difference between an undergraduate textbook that says, "This is how it is" and a graduate textbook that says, "There are two theories behind this, one says a, the other B... here are the arguments"

Also, it would be a nice place for journal review.
I agree.

California forum

Welcome to the home of 95% of posts at EMTLife. LOL

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
firetender, I finally disagree with you

In no way is this a "database", anymore than a two mile high stack of unsorted memos is; they both may hold valuable data, but finding and judging it in a reasonable time and with reasonable effort is not possible, unless it is a very unique and abstruse item which search engines parse and pare down.
Folks should use emails, personal messages etc more to individually discuss, support, or ask how best to carry something pointy or that goes boom.
And the unused chat rooms oughta be sublket for money. Maybe Lindens.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Chimpie,

Can we setup a weekly chat session for a couple of hours on Fridays to encourage more communication amongst users via the chat room? Perhaps something along the lines of every Friday and Saturday at 6 pm? It was real nice to get to chat with some of the members here tonight in chat. I figured a weekly open chat session would foster more of this.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
Chimpie,

Can we setup a weekly chat session for a couple of hours on Fridays to encourage more communication amongst users via the chat room? Perhaps something along the lines of every Friday and Saturday at 6 pm? It was real nice to get to chat with some of the members here tonight in chat. I figured a weekly open chat session would foster more of this.

Bummer. I missed this entirely. Couldn't we just do this informally?

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Chimpie,

Bummer. I missed this entirely. Couldn't we just do this informally?

This is something that can be done informally. The chat room is always open, so if you want to schedule a chat you're more than welcome to. If you'd like me to spread the word via Facebook and Twitter I'll be more than happy to help with that as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
This absolutely is something that can be done informally. The chat room is always open, so if you want to schedule a chat you're more than welcome to. If you'd like me to spread the word via Facebook and Twitter I'll be more than happy to help with that as well.

Something that would really help is if one of the admins could use the vbulletin announcements feature to create an announcement that would show up on the forum during active chat times with a link to flashchat.php

Veneficus

Forum Chief
how about a book list sticky

OP
OP
Chimpie

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I just wanted to follow up and let you know that I've read through everyone's posts and am coming up with some ideas that the CL team will talk about 'behind closed doors'. I may come back with some questions or ideas as time goes on.

In the meantime, please keep the ideas, comments and suggestions coming.

Chimpie

Tommerag

What day is it?
How about a stickied post in the NREMT section for nremt test advice and testing strategies. Seems like there is a new post about this every day or two.

Tommerag

What day is it?
video/audio chat .... browns fingers get sore!

Yes Brown continually suggest that last night in the chat. Maybe we should do that for him. :p