Electronic Devices in the Classroom: Whats your policy?

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
A friend of mine setup a CPR class for the Fire Dept. at our station since he had to stay on duty and there was 20 students he asked if I would mind teaching and assisting him in teaching the class. We always help each other out so I said sure I don't mind.

I did my usual presentation with power point slides and the first part I introduce myself, who I am what I do blah blah blah. The next thing I say is my class room policy. Cellphones, Pagers, and electronic devices are to be OFF & AWAY! I feel as if they are a distraction, and I find it disrespectful to the instructor. My other rule is we are all adults. If you fall asleep you are dismissed. If you feel that you are that tired that you are going to fall asleep stand up, walk around do whatever you need to to avoid falling asleep.

I usually cut loose a 10 minute break on the hour so that you can handle whatever you need to, Phone calls, smoke, grab a drink, take a leak whatever. On the first break. the leader of the FD group (was a line officer or something) was telling me that my policies are way to harsh as its only CPR? and they are only taking it to add on to their Fire stuff. I politely said well, If you are holding an in house training do you want the trainees ignoring you, sleeping or texting away while your trying to educate. Apparently that's different because its firefighting :unsure:

So I ask the instructors of the forum. Whats your policy?

Jmo371

Forum Crew Member
A friend of mine setup a CPR class for the Fire Dept. at our station since he had to stay on duty and there was 20 students he asked if I would mind teaching and assisting him in teaching the class. We always help each other out so I said sure I don't mind.

I did my usual presentation with power point slides and the first part I introduce myself, who I am what I do blah blah blah. The next thing I say is my class room policy. Cellphones, Pagers, and electronic devices are to be OFF & AWAY! I feel as if they are a distraction, and I find it disrespectful to the instructor. My other rule is we are all adults. If you fall asleep you are dismissed. If you feel that you are that tired that you are going to fall asleep stand up, walk around do whatever you need to to avoid falling asleep.

I usually cut loose a 10 minute break on the hour so that you can handle whatever you need to, Phone calls, smoke, grab a drink, take a leak whatever. On the first break. the leader of the FD group (was a line officer or something) was telling me that my policies are way to harsh as its only CPR? and they are only taking it to add on to their Fire stuff. I politely said well, If you are holding an in house training do you want the trainees ignoring you, sleeping or texting away while your trying to educate. Apparently that's different because its firefighting :unsure:

It's only CPR...until you need it to save a life especially Fire and other first responders. In my dept(volunteer) we often beat an ambulance and if we do you better believe that cpr/aed/bvm will be initiated from the get go....."just cpr"...da fak

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Every class I have been in is the exact same. No electronics. If you get tired stand up. 50 minutes of lecture followed by a 10 minute break.

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
I agree every class I have taken in the fire service and ems all the instructors require you turn everything off or leave the class.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard

Our policies are the same as yours. We do an online skills portion that must be completed before class, and we won't allow testing if the candidate doesn't produce the certificate.

As far as CPR being different from firefighting, show future classes this article about one of our retired Lieutenants:

His fellow colleagues were even there for him and returned the favor by saving his life when Urps went into cardiac arrest while running. Ward recalls the day that they received the call for an officer down as "the best and worst day of my life."

http://greateralexandria.patch.com/...fighter-recalls-long-career-in-fairfax-county

His fellow colleagues were even there for him and returned the favor by saving his life when Urps went into cardiac arrest while running. Ward recalls the day that they received the call for an officer down as "the best and worst day of my life."

"What I remember is I was doing PTS physical fitness and going through a cool down walk," Urps explained. Then I remember falling over. The next thing I remember is the guys standing over me. The guy who found me and called it in, we've been best friends for 30 years."

After the incident, Urps went through triple bypass surgery and miraculously returned to duty six months later. Urps' last day at Station 11 was Aug. 9 — a day Linhart and Ward said was full of emotion. His retirement party was Aug. 23 and Linhart said it's the biggest turn out he has seen for a retirement party since he has been with the department.

Show this article, and then ask the class to get serious about their CPR skills, because they, or the person sitting next to them, could be the one that will need it.

Last edited by a moderator:

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
We're allowed to have our devices out and on, but we're expected to act professional and use them "appropriately". Reading a couple txts, making a quickly reply or two is fine. Sitting there the whole time buried in the phone txting through the whole class is NOT okay.

If my kid's school or the nanny calls while I'm in a class, I'm going to answer it. I'll leave the room and not make it a disturbance to the entire class, but if the school calls there's a good reason for it and I need to know what it is. A family emergency trumps a training event any day. And I'm glad my agency understands this.

We're given liberal policies, and expected to not abuse or take advantage of them. People are very good about not abusing the policy, we're treated like adults and allowed to keep an eye on the phone instead of having to hide it under the desk like schoolchildren. If someone is spending too much time looking at their phone, they'll be told to put it away. That does not happen often, as we're grateful for the liberal policy and don't abuse it.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
We're allowed to have our devices out and on, but we're expected to act professional and use them "appropriately". Reading a couple txts, making a quickly reply or two is fine. Sitting there the whole time buried in the phone txting through the whole class is NOT okay.

If my kid's school or the nanny calls while I'm in a class, I'm going to answer it. I'll leave the room and not make it a disturbance to the entire class, but if the school calls there's a good reason for it and I need to know what it is. A family emergency trumps a training event any day. And I'm glad my agency understands this.

We're given liberal policies, and expected to not abuse or take advantage of them. People are very good about not abusing the policy, we're treated like adults and allowed to keep an eye on the phone instead of having to hide it under the desk like schoolchildren. If someone is spending too much time looking at their phone, they'll be told to put it away. That does not happen often, as we're grateful for the liberal policy and don't abuse it.

My college's testing center had a similar discussion with a parent that insisted on keeping their phone with them in case of emergency. The parent was told to provide their child's caretaker with the facility's number, so that they could be reached in case of emergency. The phone is to remain off. The same should go for CPR students - text and call on the breaks, but during class, there should be no distractions whatsoever. If there is an emergency from work or from home, the student can be reached via the facility's landline. Otherwise, I can't see any reason to be contacted that can't wait for less than an hour for break time.

RebelAngel

White Cloud
Breaks every hour, though it can be a little late or a little early depending on when we come to a stopping point. No electronics allowed on or to be checked during class time, only before class starts and on breaks. Instructor didn't cover sleeping in class, I think it's pretty unnecessary. We seem to be a good bunch of people ready to learn.

RebelAngel

White Cloud
Same here. My family has the number to the Fire/EMS Bureau where the classes are held and the Instructor's extension, as well as the Coordinator's extension.

I have my phone on, but on vibrate and in my purse that sits on the floor, and do not check it until break time. They would be SOL if they tried to call my cell during class time. True emergency, call the room.

My college's testing center had a similar discussion with a parent that insisted on keeping their phone with them in case of emergency. The parent was told to provide their child's caretaker with the facility's number, so that they could be reached in case of emergency. The phone is to remain off. The same should go for CPR students - text and call on the breaks, but during class, there should be no distractions whatsoever. If there is an emergency from work or from home, the student can be reached via the facility's landline. Otherwise, I can't see any reason to be contacted that can't wait for less than an hour for break time.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Same here. My family has the number to the Fire/EMS Bureau where the classes are held and the Instructor's extension, as well as the Coordinator's extension.

I have my phone on, but on vibrate and in my purse that sits on the floor, and do not check it until break time. They would be SOL if they tried to call my cell during class time. True emergency, call the room.

I wonder what people did before cell phones and texting existed? I've seen people web surfing in their car at red lights (hopefully only red lights).

JPINFV

Gadfly
It's only CPR...until you need it to save a life especially Fire and other first responders. In my dept(volunteer) we often beat an ambulance and if we do you better believe that cpr/aed/bvm will be initiated from the get go....."just cpr"...da fak

Actually, after you've done CPR a couple of times on real people, it becomes "just CPR." Spare me the hour long course, I can read Circulation just like any other adult can. (PS, the hospitals were doing 2010 guidelines (i.e. "don't stop compressions with an advanced airway" and "pit crew style resuscitations" before 2010).

Let's not get into the fact that the AHA videos are rubbish.

I'll also add that the best CPR course I ever took was a recert course at a hospital I was volunteering at. Take the written, take the skills test, get new card. In and out in less than 15 minutes. If I can pass the skills test and the written test, why do I have to listen to the same old lecture again?

JPINFV

Gadfly
One last thing that I think deserves its own post. EMS providers are supposed to be experts on prehospital emergency care. Professionals even. Would it surprise you that the American College of Emergency Physicians (think NAEMT, except people actually care what ACEP says in their position statements and lobbying) has a position paper saying that "_ _ LS" courses (i.e. ACLS, PALS, ATLS, etc) are pointless and should serve nor purpose when it comes to evaluating board certified emergency physicians? Oh, and physicians renew their board certifications about once in 10 years, not ever 2 years like the NREMT requires (NREMT is essentially the equivalent of the American Board of Emergency Medicine in the sense that it's a private entity that certifies that it's members has a certain amount of initial training and meets certain minimum standards of knowledge).

http://www.acep.org/Clinical---Prac...ne-as-Criteria-for-Privileging-or-Employment/

Jmo371

Forum Crew Member
Actually, after you've done CPR a couple of times on real people, it becomes "just CPR." Spare me the hour long course, I can read Circulation just like any other adult can. (PS, the hospitals were doing 2010 guidelines (i.e. "don't stop compressions with an advanced airway" and "pit crew style resuscitations" before 2010).

I'll also add that the best CPR course I ever took was a recert course at a hospital I was volunteering at. Take the written, take the skills test, get new card. In and out in less than 15 minutes. If I can pass the skills test and the written test, why do I have to listen to the same old lecture again?

Yes but most don't have to do cpr especially if they are not an emt/medic also that is why arc lets you challenge the course

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Exactly this.

I'm an adult and a professional, and I'll make sure to pay attention and not to disrupt your class if you make sure not to treat me like a child, mmkay?

Respect goes both ways.

I wonder what people did before cell phones and texting existed?

What they did was often have a hard time getting a hold of you when it was important. Cell phones are a big advancement in that way.

I'm not going to expect my kids' school and all my family members to keep a list of all the numbers for all the places I might be, along with a corresponding schedule of when to call which number.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Whats your policy?

I have no problem with restricting their use but forcing people to deactivate them is crossing a line.

Tell your nanny to call the facility? Really? There's zero reason you can't have a silenced cellphone in your pocket, if it rings and it's not important ignore it, if it's something you need to handle get up, leave the classroom and handle your business.

We're adults, let's act like it.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
What they did was often have a hard time getting a hold of you when it was important. Cell phones are a big advancement in that way.

I'm not going to expect my kids' school and all my family members to keep a list of all the numbers for all the places I might be, along with a corresponding schedule of when to call which number.

We had beepers.

RescueRider724

Forum Crew Member
We had beepers.

Now you are showing your age..lol Had one of those things in law enforcement, hated it, would always go off at the worst time "code 11" "code 11" and boom your flying at 100 miles an hour to get the bus before it leaves with the LT and the team on it and you are not there.....:unsure:

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Being one who teaches and takes classes, I can say that the standard varies.
Teaching a class of recruits is different than teaching 20-year firemen.

In general, silenced devices and taking calls out of the room is fine.
If somebody wants to ignore what I am teaching so that they can jib jab on their phone, as long as they understand the core materials and are not distracting their neighbors, there's really no skin off my back. I didn't make the stuff up. In general, these are not new ideas. This person may simply need to fulfill an hours requirement. When I know the subject matter is dry, I bring a bowl of candy. If they fall asleep, I throw Smarties at them; it wakes them up, offers a sugar charge and makes a point.

If they are distracting those around them or demonstrate real deficiencies when it comes to written and manipulative tests, this becomes a different matter. I have a side conversation in an attempt to correct. If the behavior continues, I will dismiss them. If they fail the exams, I will help them remediate but will not go out of my way if it is obvious that I care more than they do.

Recruit academies are different. Rules are rigid and offer few exceptions. The rigid nature of the academy is a lesson of its own. There should always be provisions for family emergencies, and we should support those who experience them.

Bottom line, you need to be a student advocate. If you explain your expectations as concepts rather than rules and consequences, you may keep from shooting yourself in the foot.

OP
OP
U

unleashedfury

Forum Asst. Chief
Being one who teaches and takes classes, I can say that the standard varies.
Teaching a class of recruits is different than teaching 20-year firemen.

In general, silenced devices and taking calls out of the room is fine.
If somebody wants to ignore what I am teaching so that they can jib jab on their phone, as long as they understand the core materials and are not distracting their neighbors, there's really no skin off my back. I didn't make the stuff up. In general, these are not new ideas. This person may simply need to fulfill an hours requirement. When I know the subject matter is dry, I bring a bowl of candy. If they fall asleep, I throw Smarties at them; it wakes them up, offers a sugar charge and makes a point.

If they are distracting those around them or demonstrate real deficiencies when it comes to written and manipulative tests, this becomes a different matter. I have a side conversation in an attempt to correct. If the behavior continues, I will dismiss them. If they fail the exams, I will help them remediate but will not go out of my way if it is obvious that I care more than they do.

Recruit academies are different. Rules are rigid and offer few exceptions. The rigid nature of the academy is a lesson of its own. There should always be provisions for family emergencies, and we should support those who experience them.

Bottom line, you need to be a student advocate. If you explain your expectations as concepts rather than rules and consequences, you may keep from shooting yourself in the foot.

What I meant by Off and away is more of a "if its silenced" and your not staring at it all class. I really don't care. I do understand as a parent of 2 that things can happen. Trust me I know. It happened to me already.

I was just sick of people coming into class. parking their arse in a chair signing the roster and expecting a card cause they showed up.

I have honestly had students fail CPR before. I don't kick them out. I'll gladly offer remediation and a retest. And I even stated that before the class I understand that this isn't what you do everyday and this isn't what you want to do everyday. But if your one of the students that comes in sits in a chair plays with your phone all night, fail the exam and then expect remediation its just not going to happen. If you put a conscious effort into the class. and didn't get all the points. I'll gladly go over it.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Actually, after you've done CPR a couple of times on real people, it becomes "just CPR." Spare me the hour long course,
there are changes. ever if it's just the ratio's of compression to ventilation, there are changes.
I can read Circulation just like any other adult can. (PS, the hospitals were doing 2010 guidelines (i.e. "don't stop compressions with an advanced airway" and "pit crew style resuscitations" before 2010).
and yet, your bosses want an instructor giving the presentation. go figure. What is so hard about just doing what is asked of you?
they really, really are. but that's what AHA designs, and that's what your boss wants you to use. The blood borne pathogens videos are even worse.
honestly? you don't. but much of education comes down to the lowest common denominator, so if the hospital requires every one to have a AHA CPR card, than the head of the cardiology department needs to sit through the same video. Why don't you just help someone in class who isn't as smart as you?

My policy is cell phones are on silent, don't text, stop playing on your iPad, and pay attention. If you fail a class because you are glued to your phone and not paying attention, than whose fault is that? it's 8 hours of your day (for an all day class), and you get breaks.... most of the time it can wait, and if you need to answer, just step out. We are all adults, but don't spend the entire class outside on the phone.

I also say that you should have a crew who isn't in class available for any emergency calls. If i'm teaching an in house class, than the captain can assign a crew to handle any calls that come in (preferably people who aren't attending the class). The only way I will let the entire class go is for a working fire dispatch or a rescue assignment, and then there is a good change I'm going to be on the engine with the rest of the class.