Do you have immediate family who do EMS?

Do you have family members involved in EMS?

• Total voters

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
In the "calling" thread, there are lots of mentions of people with family in EMS who got them into the field. Do you have immediate family in EMS?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
In the "calling" thread, there are lots of mentions of people with family in EMS who got them into the field. Do you have immediate family in EMS?

Mom is a bus driver, dad works for a company that is contracted to the government, brother works as a city maintenance person. So it's just me all alone in this field.

Note: all my family and I have been certified in basic first aid and CPR for +10 years.

Dober317

Forum Probie
My uncle and cousin are both firefighters, and I can definitely say that both were major influences on me when it came to choosing a career (although I didn't reference them in my EMS-as-a-calling post :p ). I felt a little more comfortable with EMS than firefighting, though, so I settled into that niche. I think I might move into EMS with firefighting at some point though.

OP
OP
abckidsmom

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
My mom and dad have been volunteers in our county for 30 years or so, hubby's parents, too. Many of our family members have also been in EMS, and now I'm precepting my nephew. It's good and bad, but mostly good.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Family has a long history of military service, but not one of public safety or EMS

Iceman26

Forum Crew Member
My dad was a third generation firefighter (retired) but was also a medic, mom is a nurse of 30 years, stepmom was an ER nurse for nearly 40 years, her sister is also a nurse. Little bit of history in the family. :p

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
My grandpa used to be a firefighter/EMT, and my uncle used to be a volunteer firefighter, but other than that, I'm the only one

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
No immediate family currently (sister worked EMS for a while several years ago). One first cousin who's a transport nurse for a large children's hospital.

dstevens58

Forum Lieutenant
Although myself and my wife were both Navy Hospital Corpsman (we met while in the Navy), she was more oriented to the in-patient population and I was into the field medicine.

Epi-do

I see dead people
It's all my husband's fault!!!! This is one thing I can "blame" him for, and he can't deny it. Prior to us dating, I worked in microbiology labs, made alot more money, and hated every second of it. He suggested I go to EMT class, was hooked after my first ride along, and the rest, as they say, is history. (Wow! That was 12 years ago!!)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Yeah, I was my dad's clinical preceptor.

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Yep. My wife is also a Critical Care medic and management like myself. We met in medic school. My brother is a volunteer firefighter at my old department and became a FF thanks to me. We also got my dad involved as he is now on the fire dept. board of directors....I think he hates us for that though.

Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Yup. My dad and I are both on the same fire department. Dad works as an MFR on the same engine as me.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Mrs Brown is also an ambo.

Brown's dad, grandfather, cousin, uncle and other uncle were or are Firefighters. Brown's uncle was a Senior Station Officer in charge of his station.

Anjel

Forum Angel
My family thinks I am fricken nuts for doing what I do.

Just wait till they find out I am not going to use this as a "stepping stone" into an RN program.

b2dragun

Forum Crew Member
No one in EMS but my mom was a ER RN...I grew up with medicine. Never thought of it as a career and then one day I was in my EMT-Basic class, now I work as an Intermediate and am in school to become a Medic. Weird how things work out

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
My family thinks I am fricken nuts for doing what I do.

Just wait till they find out I am not going to use this as a "stepping stone" into an RN program.

My family thought the same thing 10 years ago when I first started. Only in the last 1-2 years have they come around to see it's a legitimate career that my wife and I can be successful at and live nicely doing.

Sent from my electronic overbearing life controller

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere