Difference In Aha And Arc Bls Cpr/aed Classes

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
can someone tell me if there a difference in the two different courses.. I have mine with AHA and if I'm already certified one card is all I need right??

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
There is minute differences. AHA is usually required by the medical profession ( Helathcare provider course), ARC is not usually recognized as an official educator.

All CPR standards are from the Emergency Cardiac Care Committee (ECC) that makes formal recommendations and changes. The AHA adapts these, and ARC usually as well or modifies the standards so the public can understand them better.

R/r 911

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I'm an ARC instructor. Rid's comments are correct. The AHA and ARC standards are pretty much the same. The ARC just teaches it in a way that the lay citizen responder understands.

MRE

Forum Captain
If you are talking about AHA BLS for healthcare providers and ARC CPR for the Professional Rescuer, the only real difference between the two is the way that they handle an obstructed airway.

For conscious adults and children, the AHA says to do abdominal thrusts (heimlich manuver) and the ARC says to do alternating cycles of 5 back blows and 5 abdominal thrusts (yes this is for adults and children). Conscious airway obstruction for infants is the same for both (alternating cycles of 5 back blows and 5 chest thrusts).

For unconscious adults, children and infants, the AHA says to do CPR (and check for objects in the airway). The ARC says to do 5 compressions, check for an object in the airway and re-attempt breaths (very similar to AHA except less compressions).

As Rid has already mentioned, AHA is usually required by the medical community, but my EMT-B instructor said that ARC CPR for the Professional Rescuer would have been accepted as well in Massachusetts.

AHA is good for 2 years, while ARC is only good for 1. In my opinion, a recert every two years is only ok if you use the skills in between. If you don't then it is too long and you tend to forget.

skyemt

Forum Captain
also, i know that our county protocols specify following AHA guidelines for CPR and obstructed airway...

could potentially cause a problem if someone followed ARC instead, and there was a poor outcome...

you might want to know where your state falls on that...

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
Thanks to each of you!! I did notice the in reading info on the AHA and ARC on some differences. I don't like it. But who am I to critique it...LOL
I feel more comfortable with the AHA.

See my problem is that I work as an dental assistant we have mandatory cpr classes with the ARC tomorrow,I don't see why I have to go if I'm certified with the AHA which I'm one step up. My office isn't doing BLS with AED. I dont know why. He just wants the office certified. At the moment I'm the only one qualifed BLS Certified/AED, anyway

Thanks again

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
also, i know that our county protocols specify following AHA guidelines for CPR and obstructed airway...

could potentially cause a problem if someone followed ARC instead, and there was a poor outcome...

you might want to know where your state falls on that...
how do I check out what my state falls under...I'm in New Jersey if anyone knows the answer

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Ity may be an insurance thing for your employer. Also, in high risk catagories on Labor and Industries insurance, (workmen's comp etc) some agencies will give lower rates if a certain ratio of certified employees is met.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
See my problem is that I work as an dental assistant we have mandatory cpr classes with the ARC tomorrow,I don't see why I have to go if I'm certified with the AHA which I'm one step up. My office isn't doing BLS with AED. I dont know why. He just wants the office certified. At the moment I'm the only one qualifed BLS Certified/AED, anyway

Is there an AED in or around the office? Is dental surgery performed in the office? Anesthesia used (including Nitrous Oxide)?
Does the DMD want you to be trained just because it is a good thing to know, of for his own liability?

skyemt

Forum Captain
there probably should be an AED in the dental office... one of the atypical presentations for MI is toothache...

more than a few pts having MI have been picked up and dentists offices...

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
there probably should be an AED in the dental office... one of the atypical presentations for MI is toothache...

more than a few pts having MI have been picked up and dentists offices...

Also severe allergic reactions to novocaine. And besides, just sitting in the waiting room can be when a patient's cardiac event happens.

rgnoon

Forum Lieutenant
how do I check out what my state falls under...I'm in New Jersey if anyone knows the answer

In Jersey most EMT courses are prefaced with the AHA BLS. Now as for specific guidlines, I can't confirm, but I'd say that your best bet is following AHA.

As KB stated the main difference seems to be treatment for FBAO. Again, I'd say go with what you were taught in AHA and I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
can someone tell me if there a difference in the two different courses.. I have mine with AHA and if I'm already certified one card is all I need right??

I personally feel that the ARC course sucks. I use to teach ARC and hated the way it was set up and did not flow well. Now that I teach AHA I am happy with it and since it is the most commonly required for healthcare providers I teach more courses and make a little bit more extra money to compensate the low medic salary.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
I personally feel that the ARC course sucks. I use to teach ARC and hated the way it was set up and did not flow well. Now that I teach AHA I am happy with it and since it is the most commonly required for healthcare providers I teach more courses and make a little bit more extra money to compensate the low medic salary.

I do not like the flow of the new videos. I hate that the ARC wants the classes to be taught by video, rather than an experienced instructor. I taught two classes with the new videos in 2006 and I had enough. I've taught a few classes since but it was CPRO & Emergency Response and it still used the old videos.

MRE

Forum Captain
I did the AHA course over the summer for my EMT-B and I seem to remember the video actually giving the class cues to practice along with. This seems like the most radical move toward replacing the instructor with a video all together. I know that the new ARC videos do not do this and only explain and demonstrate the skills.

If I am wrong about the AHA CPR video, please correct me, but this is what I remember about it.

I teach ARC CPR because it goes with the ARC Lifeguard cert. When I teach, I show the video for a particular section (as I am required to),the stop it and do a short discussion on the material and add any useful information that I can, as well as answering questions. I like to add in some of the reasons why they are doing certain things, since it always helped me when I was learning. This seems to be more important in the First Aid classes though, since the video content is lacking in many places.

indygirl14

Forum Crew Member
I was told I needed the ARC course, so I signed up for it. I was a little surprised when I was told I had to take it ONLINE!! It took a couple of hours to go through the slides, all while sitting at a Starbucks. Then, I went to the ARC office to go through my skills session, and I was the only student in there, so it took me about an hour and I was handed my card and walked out!!

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
No there no AED in the office, we are behind our times....yes there should be I totally agree. Yes we have N20 in the office too. Like I said I have all that with the AHA, but I'm going today in about 2 hours to ARC and see what is actually going on. I do believe it could be for his liability, I kno the back team is all getting it, but it was a choice for the front...I multi-task and can to both.

I just don't want to confuse myself with the airway obstructions. I'll let each of you kno later how it all went. Happy Friday

OP
OP
F

futureemt

Forum Crew Member
wow, really! With AHA i had to wait for my card,maybe its because I was going through it with my squad. I seen that on the ARC's website that you can take it on-line. I let you kno if I get my card today too.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I do not like the flow of the new videos. I hate that the ARC wants the classes to be taught by video, rather than an experienced instructor. I taught two classes with the new videos in 2006 and I had enough. I've taught a few classes since but it was CPRO & Emergency Response and it still used the old videos.

Agreed Chimpie! I taught ARC for many years and loved their instructor program with all the information on how to teach and how to present information so the students retain it. Apparently they didn't listen to their own instructor classes because they have turned us into fleshy remote controls. Our role is to 'press play' and observe the students. My cert as an ARC instructor expires this Dec and I'm not renewing it. I currently have ASHI cert which also certifies me to teach the wilderness first aid program as well. I take the AHA class every year, and certify as 'taught to the AHA standard which is different from an AHA cert. Most agencies in my area have adopted that as a practice because AHA around here has been difficult to deal with.

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
FutureEMT, both AHA and ARC offer on-line courses. However, you need to make sure the training site (or Red Cross chapter) offers the second part of the program, which is the skills check off.

ARC and AHA both in 2005 revised their programs to reflect "watch as you practice", much like an aerobics video. AHA has transitioned all of the BLS programs into this style (even for the BLS portion of the ACLS/PALS program) whereas ARC has held off on doing a complete conversion. Layperson Red Cross is "watch as you practice" whereas Professional Rescuer Red Cross is still "watch then practice".