Diabetic EMT

slb862

Forum Lieutenant
I am a Type 2 diabetic

I have worked in EMS for a long time. I found out I was type II a couple of years ago. My service has never once questioned my ability. My co-workers are all aware of my diabetes and know what to watch for, and either ask or make sure I am ok. I do the majority of patient care.

My advice to you would be to go volunteer and build up your skills, confidence, and "wow" the service you are working for. Then go for a position that you have worked so hard for. With experience under your belt, you will not only be confident, you will know how your body reacts to the stress of being on duty, and you will know how to handle it.

Keep your chin up. And most certainly keep the faith, EMS is a tough job.

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
What's goin on ladies and gentlemen?

Alright so I have a couple questions, I am currently a unemployed NREMT-B. I've been working on all of the appropriate steps for being able to start my career, but the only thing thats currently holding me back is the DMV, as I am a type-1 insulin dependent Diabetic, there are quite a few loop-holes that I must jump through before being able to get my ambulance drivers cert.

I have completed my dl-51, medical examiners notification etc. my endocrinologist determined that I am fully capable of operating an ambulance, but thats not enough, my driving record is clean as a whistle, but thats not enough, Ive never had a diabetic related accident, nor have I been involved in any driving related accident, but thats not enough either. After speaking with the DMV today, all I can do is submit the application and wait. They informed me that they are " backed-up 90 days " and that I have a " 50/50 " chance of getting either approved or denied. Although I have no idea what that would be based off of.

Basically, I am itching to start my career in EMS, if anyone has any advice or opinions on the best route for me to take as of right now I would greatly appreciate it. I live in contra costa county, I was thinking about possibly trying to find an ambulance company that would just hire an EMT attendant, rather than a driver, but I'm really not sure how much luck I would have with that. My girlfriends dad, who was a EMT-P with AMR said that I may be able to explain the situation to the ambulance company and see if I could just get a job as an attendant, but regardless, im still not sure if I would have any luck with that. I'm looking for any, and all options to start working as an EMT-B without having to wait 90 days ( or more, knowing the DMV ):rolleyes: for the red or green light on my ambulance drivers cert...

SO! With that being said, I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback! And thanks for taking the time to help!

When I was an LEO, there were two diabetics. Both were considered OK to drive.

The agency was aware of their condition.

Hellsbells

Forum Crew Member
i do worry tho. that you may, at some later point, end up complicating the scene and compromising patient care, if at some point you inadvertently become a 2nd patient.

What rubbish, I worked with a guy who was a Type 1 diabetic for a year and half, he never had any problems at all. So if you want to drive an ambulance, come on up to Alberta, Canada.

KY_EMT

Forum Crew Member
One of my partners I regularly work with is an insulin-dependent diabetic. Just make sure that your bosses and coworkers know about your condition. I keep an eye on my partner when I run with her, make sure everything is OK with her. Diabetes shouldn't keep you from working in EMS. But as stated before in different posts, different agencies do have different policies. Just don't give up :) It CAN be done.

hagemc

Forum Ride Along
I would just start applying for any and all jobs with ambulance companies, even the driving ones. Most ambulance companies in the East Bay don't hire non-drivers. I know my company doesn't and we are in AlCo. I would put in your resume/coverletter that you will be getting your license ASAP and also explain your situation to the person that you drop off your application to.

Most places that you apply to will take about a month to two months to get to your application and schedule an interview anyways, plus another month or so of training before you are even able to drive.

(And besides, if you really want a job at AMR out here...you'll be waiting a LONG time! So there isn't that big of a rush.)

scems

Forum Ride Along
any updates from any of the type 1 diabetics on here about the CA ambulance driver's cert? I called the DMV driver's safety office and during one call they told me to apply because ambulances technically aren't heavy enough to be considered commercial yet they still use the DL51. Then when i was going to apply, i noticed in order to apply you need the green card from the medical examiner. Well you cannot get a green card from a medical examiner if you have type 1 because it disqualifies you. So called the DMV again and they said no, there are no type 1 diabetics currently driving ambulances in CA.

Any updates would be appreciated!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If you'r willing to move out of state, most states don't have the silly ADL. ONe of my favorite partners is a diabetic and he has no porblems.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh great so you will work with a diabetic but nobody wants to work with blind bugger Brown .... :(

skills82

Forum Crew Member
Oh great so you will work with a diabetic but nobody wants to work with blind bugger Brown .... :(

Because we are scared what Brown might do for us. HAHA

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
You know it's rules like this that almost force you to lie. Most folks would have just checked the "no medical issues" box on the application and been done with it but you were honest and responsible enough to tell the truth and now they are jerking you around for it. I hope it all works out for you. Good luck.

Just a thought could you get your license in another state and then get reciprocity in yours?

JPINFV

Gadfly
You know it's rules like this that almost force you to lie. Most folks would have just checked the "no medical issues" box on the application and been done with it but you were honest and responsible enough to tell the truth and now they are jerking you around for it. I hope it all works out for you. Good luck.

Just a thought could you get your license in another state and then get reciprocity in yours?

Yea... and you better hope that your blood sugar is controlled enough that you aren't spilling sugar into your urine as a urine dip stick is a required test.

bigbaldguy

Yea... and you better hope that your blood sugar is controlled enough that you aren't spilling sugar into your urine as a urine dip stick is a required test.

I know of at least 1 commercial pilot that pulled it off. For 15+ years now. Can't remember the guys name though must have slipped my mind ... maybe my blood sugar is low lol ;)

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

It isn't quite that easy. In CA a CDL is required for an ambulance driver's license. Federal law outlines what the medical requirements for a CDL are and diabetes controlled by insulin is an automatically disqualifying condition. This is a standard, and if anyone at the DMV said there was an exemption they were wrong. In order to get a CDL you have to have a medical card, which you can only get from a MD.

If someone wanted to hide that they had Type I diabetes they would have to do a lot more than check a box, and I bet that falsifying CDL paperwork has some hefty punishments attached if the person gets caught.

bigbaldguy

I'm certainly not suggesting anyone falsify anything. Just that plenty of people probably have and will continue to do so. It just sucks that people like this poor guy have to be treated the same as non compliant diabetics when there is no need to do so.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I know of at least 1 commercial pilot that pulled it off. For 15+ years now. Can't remember the guys name though must have slipped my mind ... maybe my blood sugar is low lol ;)

Oh, I'm not saying it isn't possible. In fact, it probably is for any remotely competent type 1 diabetic. However if the dip stick comes back positive for glucose, he's going to have to be worked up. When I went to renew mine I was in the middle of moving and just got done with moving furniture from a second floor off campus apartment to a first floor on-campus apartment that I was subletting for summer. Because of it I was positive for trace hematuria and had to go back in for a retest a few days afterward, which came back negative that time.

I'm just saying that it's not necessarily as simple as saying, "Nope, no medical history."

JPINFV

Gadfly
It isn't quite that easy. In CA a CDL is required for an ambulance driver's license. Federal law outlines what the medical requirements for a CDL are and diabetes controlled by insulin is an automatically disqualifying condition. This is a standard, and if anyone at the DMV said there was an exemption they were wrong. In order to get a CDL you have to have a medical card, which you can only get from a MD.

Not quite. the ADL requires a CDL level physical, but we aren't issued a CDL, nor are we tested in anyway on CDL standards. In terms of granting an ADL, I don't see any Federal reason why the state can't grant waivers for some conditions.

bigbaldguy

I'm just saying that it's not necessarily as simple as saying, "Nope, no medical history."

Perhaps I exaggerated a bit my bad.

msoda

Forum Probie
I hate to bump a thread that is a couple months old but I'm in a similar situation, but instead of diabetes I have monocular vision. Even though I have excellent driving skills, and 20/15 in my good eye (20/40 in 'bad' eye) I am not qualified to pass the DL51. I really wish there were waiver programs.

Anyways, have any of you had any luck? Also, does anyone have a number I can contact for the DMV? All I get is some automated horse:censored::censored::censored::censored:.

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I hate to bump a thread that is a couple months old but I'm in a similar situation, but instead of diabetes I have monocular vision. Even though I have excellent driving skills, and 20/15 in my good eye (20/40 in 'bad' eye) I am not qualified to pass the DL51. I really wish there were waiver programs.

Anyways, have any of you had any luck? Also, does anyone have a number I can contact for the DMV? All I get is some automated horse:censored::censored::censored::censored:.

Leave California. With all of the crap you have to do there, and the crappy job market, why would you want to stay?

msoda

Forum Probie
Leave California. With all of the crap you have to do there, and the crappy job market, why would you want to stay?

Crappy job market but great state. I do have a decent job driving non-CMV trucks but they're going under soon, and I really wanted to change careers.

But yes, hospitals don't really hire newish graduates, I don't know of any ambulance companies in Southern California that would only hire me as an attendant, and as far as I know there aren't really any companies that only hire for events etc. I'd be willing to volunteer, though I only know of one down in Los Angeles.

I have a couple F&F in Arizona but moving there or Oregon and getting a job isn't exactly a sure thing.

Last edited by a moderator: