Diabetic EMT

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I have a couple F&F in Arizona but moving there or Oregon and getting a job isn't exactly a sure thing.
Even if you somehow manage to obtain your medical examiner's certificate, and you're the perfect new graduate candidate (e.g. >21 years old, clean driving record, volunteer experience) that has all the necessary certs to go with it (county/state card, NREMT, ambulance driver certificate, AHA CPR, and the fema courses that some ambulance companies require), it's still unlikely you'll get a job in California.

msoda

Forum Probie
Maybe, but I've known a number of people who've gotten in over the years with no experience, volunteer or otherwise. I meet all those things minus the AD cert, and the only thing holding me back is a nonsense requirement for a driver. I could fly a plane, and I drive a 5 ton truck, but not an ambulance and AFAIK, there's no way to get a waiver or have an expert decide if I am fit to drive?

Last edited by a moderator:

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown; it is not that we are afraid what you will do 'for' us, but TO us.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown; it is not that we are afraid what you will do 'for' us, but TO us.

Whatever are you implying?

*Brown looks innocently at the Lifepak 12 and Thomas Pack Brown is holding

Brown says you folks could always try the 60 day mega micronutrient raw diabetes cure diet ....

Brown away! :D

OP
OP
J

Jon925

Forum Probie
Hello Hello,

Sorry I have been absent from my own thread for so very long, but I appreciate all the response and feedback.

Im sure you'll be happy to know that I have been working as an EMT on a BLS/CCT rig since December now (as an attendant, non-driver) just racking up the experience, and planning on medic school this coming September!

msoda

Forum Probie
Hello Hello,

Sorry I have been absent from my own thread for so very long, but I appreciate all the response and feedback.

Im sure you'll be happy to know that I have been working as an EMT on a BLS/CCT rig since December now (as an attendant, non-driver) just racking up the experience, and planning on medic school this coming September!

Who'd you get picked up with, and what ever happened with the DMV? Did they review anything? I've been reading some of the AMB certification stuff and I've found this:

"Medical Disability

The certificate may be refused, suspended or revoked if the driver does not meet the minimum medical standards established by the department in Article 2.1, Sections § 28.18 and 28.19, of Title 13, California Code of Regulations. In addition to determining whether the driver meets the standards, the demands of the duties and responsibilities of an ambulance or school bus driver are considered.

These drivers must possess skills and abilities which exceed those of a regular commercial vehicle driver. Ambulance drivers must perform under emergency conditions, which may involve moving patients on stretchers for unknown distances and in situations such as stairways and other hazards. School bus drivers must cope with hazardous road conditions and children of various ages and degrees of physical mobility.

In evaluating the medical condition, elements such as the hours the driver works, scope of driving, mileage, driving record, and whether the driver compensates for the disability are considered. "

"Review Boards

Upon conclusion of a SCH, SPAB, YOB, GPPV, VDDP or AMB certificate hearing, the hearing officer submits written findings and a proposed decision to a review board located in Sacramento.

The bus driver Certificate Action Review Board and the Ambulance Review Board are each comprised of three members. Each board has a member appointed by the department and California Highway Patrol. In addition, the ambulance driver committee has a member from the Emergency Medical Health Service Authority, and the school bus driver board has a member from the Department of Education.

The members of the review boards render a final decision after a review of the findings and proposed decision. The board's decision may be to sustain, modify, or set aside the department's action. They may also remand a hearing back to the hearing officer if the hearing is incomplete or the recommendation is lacking soundness.

The department notifies the driver of the board's decisions. "

Also, you mind telling me what number you actually called? All I get is that automated stuff, and that's really no help.

YZRider831

Forum Ride Along
So i am new to this forum but signed up just to post on this thread. I am a type one diabetic who is (like all the diabetics in the thread) trying to see if i can get my ambulance drivers certificate in California. Currently I am a First Responder working in a volunteer position in the OHV state parks system responding to medicals on a motorcycle. I am going to soon start EMT at my local junior collage. I have been doing some research on this topic and found out that people with type one diabetes are not allowed to get a CDL as stated on the DL51 form. Reading the form i found out that there is a diabetes exemption for the DL51 medical form that you must apply for from the US DOT. I am hoping that this exemption applies for the ambulance certificate in California because i found out about this on the DL51 form. If someone has used this form with any luck please reply. I also found out that you can do some hearing thing if your certificate get denied. I would also like comment on people saying that there are no diabetics driving ambulances in California. I believe that is not entirely true but during my First Responder test my proctor who was in the paramedic program had a type of diabetes that made her blood sugar drop kinda like type 2 does to a person but the opposite. She found out that i wore a pump and told me that she had a type of diabetes. She told me that she drives an Ambulance for AMR and was able to receive her ambulance drivers certificate. Now I can tell you that I didn't hear this from my dad's half brother friend's sisters aunt kid but, i was able to shake her hand while she was in her AMR uniform. I don't know if this is hope or not but it might bring some light to this convo. I want to know what people have to say about this so please post. THANK YOU AND STAY SAFE OUT THERE

Goo

Forum Ride Along
Hey I live in Coco county also and I'm in the same boat as you were a year ago. If you're still checking this can you tell me if you found any way to get hired with type 1 diabetes?? Thanks

also what company do you work for as a non-driver?

yourfilipinofriend

Forum Ride Along
Hate to bring this up again but I got one month left in my EMT Course and Im worried that my EMS career is compromised if Im not going to be able to get a license to drive a rig so Ive been doing research.

I found that there is a driver exemption program for diabetics. Here is the website and application form...

fmcsa .dot. gov/rules-regulations/topics/medical/exemptions.htm

(i cant post links so youll have to take the spaces out of the link that i placed)

Goo

Forum Ride Along
That exemption doesn't work

The federal exemption doesn't work. I tried it and was denied (1) because i'm not yet 21 and (2) because it is for interstate vehicles only.

Research it a little bit more. It's not worth your time to try and get the fmcsa exemption. The only hope for type 1 diabetics is to move to a state that doesn't require a commercial driver's license to get an ADL (like Nevada).

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
The federal exemption doesn't work. I tried it and was denied (1) because i'm not yet 21 and (2) because it is for interstate vehicles only.

Research it a little bit more. It's not worth your time to try and get the fmcsa exemption. The only hope for type 1 diabetics is to move to a state that doesn't require a commercial driver's license to get an ADL (like Nevada).

There's no such thing as an ADL in Nevada.

We have a few diabetic medics and EMTs and they have no issues but they also take very good care of themselves.

Most if not all use an insulin pump if they are IDDM.

YZRider831

Forum Ride Along
Keep your hopes up

Yeah don't give up on your dreams just because someone said no to drive in California. I know there are diabetics who take insulin and drive ambulances in California but you are really going to have to fight, its not easy period. You have a right in California for a hearing for the ADL. In my personal opinion I would go out of state the jobs are better and you don't have to deal with any of the bs involved to drive

CANDawg

Forum Asst. Chief
For regular CDLs there are restrictions on who can get a CDL on the Federal and State level, so those regulations are obviously legal

Nothing is absolutely legal until it has been court tested, ESPECIALLY government rules and regulations. If anyone in CA has a lawyer friend, get them to do some research to see if the state rules have ever been tested against the ADA. If not, maybe someone can find some non-profit funding to take the issue to court. (Or fund it themselves if they're uber-rich.)

I had a diabetic scare a few weeks ago. A regular blood test showed a really nasty glucose level. Doc sent me for another fasting test, and it came back a-okay. Must have just been a wonky lab result. That said, the scare definitely gave me some sympathy for people who live with it. Don't let it (or the government's misconceptions about it) hold you back from what you want to do!

Mystrength

Forum Ride Along
Law on Diabetes and Ambulance Drivers

Hello All,

I am a California-licensed attorney with extensive experience in law related to diabetes.

First, since 2007, it is very possible to obtain an exemption from the federal Department of Transportation requirements prohibiting insulin use. The Diabetes Exemption program requires an endocrinologist report and ophthalmologist report. You must be free from loss of consciousness events (low blood glucose), retinopathy, and neuropathy. The process can take up to six months. But you can definitely get your Commercial Driver's License for federal interstate commerce.

California in 13 CCR 28.18 matches its requirements with the federal requirements, including the diabetes exemption. It can get a little bit more tricky, though, and you may need to appeal an initial medical rejection. Research a good disability law attorney to help you through the appeal process, or call the American Diabetes Association Legal Helpline at 1-800-DIABETES.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief

No such thing as an "ADL" in North Carolina. Come out our way!

If you haven't noticed, CA has waaaaay too many providers and compensates thru ridiculous rules and regulations as an artificial means to shrink the candidate pool (not that it seems to be helping).

Go North or East for sane delivery of EMS.

CobraIV

Forum Crew Member
I work with a bad diabetic, I keep a snickers bar in my jump bag for him.