Dealing with a ridealong

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I only wish that we could swap with someone of lower rank. If the patient is going to any facility on a hospital campus such as a doctors appointment, cancer tx etc then the highest level must always ride. Only units with a medic on board can transport to the ED unless a basic unit is doing a transfer and has to divert. Even then depending on the location a ALS unit might be dispatched to intercept and continue transport to the ED.

The only time you can allow a lower level to ride with the patient is in the case of transport to a home, nursing home, or some other off campus facility or residence. Usually these calls are handled by basic units to begin with so those chances do not come along often.

I do agree with you that sometimes it is nice to put the shoe on the other foot so to speak. Most of our basics would jump at the chance to ride on anything that involves going to the ED. I prefer a basic partner that is not timid and does not melt away into the shadows while on scene. I'm always more than happy to have them perform anything within their scope of practice prior to transport if the situation allows for it.

wow thats pretty restrictive. Most places I have worked allowed pt condition to dictate who rode it in. We could also triage a pt down to a BLS (emt/emt) truck.

MrJones

Iconoclast
wow thats pretty restrictive. Most places I have worked allowed pt condition to dictate who rode it in. We could also triage a pt down to a BLS (emt/emt) truck.

In my service the medic can hand a patient down to the emt, but must specifically sign off on the ePCR that he/she assessed the patient prior to doing so.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Paramedics save lives, Basics save Paramedics.

Seriously? <_<

Basics can save medics, medics can save basics. That's how a team works. No need for these cliches in this field.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Or Basics stand in the Medic's way because they don't know what they don't know. That one's more common than you'd think.

Gymratt

Forum Probie
I think my point has totally been missed when I used that cliche. I also already attempted to clarify its not one that I agree with when used in the tongue in cheek manner of what it sounds like. I was aiming that cliche more toward the OP's partner. In other words put me down if you like but remember you need me just as much as I need you so to speak.

I thoroughly stated my feelings about having good partner and how valuable they can be to both me as the medic and the patient as well. It takes two to tango so to speak. So if I was not very eloquent in attempting to take a shot at the OP's partner. But please don't come on here and open a statement with seriously without trying to clarify the meaning. Even if you disagree lets have a little respect for one another. Now if I misunderstood your intent I apologize in advance.

andyzurro

Forum Ride Along
previous ride-alonger

Hey guys. New to site. First, graduated last weekend from emt-b at baker college in michigan. Seco.d, its 5 am and juat got off my night job at factory so i sont feel like.editing.
Anyways, if i can give any advice to the emts/medics during a ride aling is this.

1. Please answer all of the question they ask. It's new and.exciting to us and we just want to talk.
2. Please inform them where we are going. Nothing like getting in ambulance in the "248" and comming out in the hoods of the "313."
3. Buy them lunch....please
4. Let them do something other than watch. My last ride along was.awsome. won't get into details but..
5. Always remember that you were them once to. Don't ruin it for someone else who hasn't experienced it for themselves yet.

Anyways, is say something.to my partner. Thee is a time for fun and a time to save lives. Professionalism

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
This is an issue with your partner. You should speak to him privately. If it continues, you should speak to your boss and explain that you are being harassed by your partner and that you spoke with him privately already and asked him to stop. Has nothing to do with the ride along...has everything to do with your partner's maturity level.

On another hand...when I did ride alongs in Medic school, I latched on to the paramedics, as the questions I had were not ones the basics could/should answer. If your rider is a medic student, and they are hanging with the medic all day, that's not to be unexpected. However, your partner's attitude and behavior is way out of line.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Hey guys. New to site. First, graduated last weekend from emt-b at baker college in michigan. Seco.d, its 5 am and juat got off my night job at factory so i sont feel like.editing.
Anyways, if i can give any advice to the emts/medics during a ride aling is this.

1. Please answer all of the question they ask. It's new and.exciting to us and we just want to talk.
2. Please inform them where we are going. Nothing like getting in ambulance in the "248" and comming out in the hoods of the "313."
3. Buy them lunch....please
4. Let them do something other than watch. My last ride along was.awsome. won't get into details but..
5. Always remember that you were them once to. Don't ruin it for someone else who hasn't experienced it for themselves yet.

Anyways, is say something.to my partner. Thee is a time for fun and a time to save lives. Professionalism

Wait I should buy the student lunch? Err what?

Also please consider editing your posts before posting to make them more readable.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
Wait I should buy the student lunch? Err what?

Also please consider editing your posts before posting to make them more readable.

I suppose we should also burp them after they finish their meal, and tuck them in with a blanky if we get some nap time?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
They taught us a couple lullabys during preceptor training for the wee ones.

Seriously? I actually do offer to pay quite often, but for you to list that as something preceptors should do is quite ridiculous. We are there to facilitate your learning, not be your mommy and provide lunch money. Do you ask your course instructors to buy you food, also?

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
Expecting ANYONE to buy you food is an unrealistic expectation that just makes the "asker" look greedy. If the offer is voluntarily made, of course the offer can be graciously and thankfully accepted. But do NOT expect it, and it most certainly does NOT belong on a list of "wants" expected of a preceptor/instructor in any way, shape or form.

joshrunkle35

EMT-P/RN
If I were giving a ride along to a person considering starting EMS, I would be likely to buy them lunch. If they are a student, as students very frequently ride with agencies, why should proctors spend money every day paying for student's lunches?

MrJones

Iconoclast
If I were giving a ride along to a person considering starting EMS, I would be likely to buy them lunch. If they are a student, as students very frequently ride with agencies, why should proctors spend money every day paying for student's lunches?

Every day? Oh hell no.

But....

If I had a student who rode with me consistently for a number of shifts, and the student performed well (or at least showed solid improvement over the time he or she was with me), I would likely treat them to a lunch on their last day.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I think my point has totally been missed when I used that cliche. I also already attempted to clarify its not one that I agree with when used in the tongue in cheek manner of what it sounds like. I was aiming that cliche more toward the OP's partner. In other words put me down if you like but remember you need me just as much as I need you so to speak.

I thoroughly stated my feelings about having good partner and how valuable they can be to both me as the medic and the patient as well. It takes two to tango so to speak. So if I was not very eloquent in attempting to take a shot at the OP's partner. But please don't come on here and open a statement with seriously without trying to clarify the meaning. Even if you disagree lets have a little respect for one another. Now if I misunderstood your intent I apologize in advance.

Ah. In that case, I apologize! I should have looked more in-depth to what you meant!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
F

fishyfish

Forum Crew Member
Ah. In that case, I apologize! I should have looked more in-depth to what you meant!

Mysteriously When I showed up to work today. I have a new run partner a Very old Medic. The mind set of this Medic is Totally different. I Could get used to war stories about being a Medic in Military.