Dealing with a ridealong

fishyfish

Forum Crew Member
Well my EMS family. As the title may imply the Ride along is not the problem. Other EMTs is. I'v had an issue where a run partner likes to belittle me in front of the ride along. :) It seems when there is a ride along present I am always the rule breaken Know it all EMT. Was washing ambulances the other night. Had the ride along out there with us im having me a smoke standing there with my scrubbing brush gettin ready to start washing. partner comes out. Why you do got you thumb up ur ***. Ride along is grinning ear to ear. so partner starts scrubbing so i begin to scrub same side. Wanted to get it good and clean. Partner says there's and no smoking until all work is done rule. I just do my own thing. Say Were out side and i am working
partner says again "and we are suppose to scrub one person on each side. I just say this seems to work better. Partner walks around ambulance to where ride along is standing says real loud "boy it sure sucks when people think they know it all" :rofl:it was really silly how it all happend. I turn my back to dip my brush in the wash pan. I get sprayed all over my backside with the hose. Turn around their the ride along grinning ear to ear says. "sorry Timmy and laughts" :) " Well EMS how would you of handled this situation. I'm not upset. Just felt the lets look cool infront of a ride along was a little unnice but it is what it is. So how would yall of handled this? aside from curing the soaked backside problem with a sterile FDA approved towel that's with in expiration. LoL

Shock on ! hope you guys atleast get a kick out of this.^_^

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Actually talking to him might help...

OP
OP
F

fishyfish

Forum Crew Member
Actually talking to him might help...

Hey medic. This kid is not a new ridealong hes been coming out pretty regular every other week ran a handful of calls with me so we do have conversation fine. Pretty cool has big dream of running with us.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Wait, so is it the partner or the student that you have a problem with? If its the student, tell him what you expect. If he'd rather play jokes than be a student, send him home.

If its your partner, talk to him about whatever is bothering you.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
Just talk to your partner. At least at the houses i've been at, people generally LIKE each other and if someone does something that offends or just generally is disagreeable to someone else 99% of the time, the person doesn't realize he's being offensive.

The couple of times I've had an issue with what someone said or did, I just asked to have a word with them in private, we went outside, and told him what my issue was, and the other party apologized saying he didn't realize what he was doing was a problem and that it wouldn't happen again.

It's amazing what a calm 2 minute conversation can have on the dynamic between people

OP
OP
F

fishyfish

Forum Crew Member
Wait, so is it the partner or the student that you have a problem with? If its the student, tell him what you expect. If he'd rather play jokes than be a student, send him home.

If its your partner, talk to him about whatever is bothering you.[/QUO

Thanks medic No the student is just fine. My issue is my partner likes to put me down in front of students and this gets the students excited for some reason. So when ever i talk they just ignore me or like the other nigh i get sprayed with the hose. my partner is a great partner ran alot together. but he has a your an idiot im a god attitude

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Thanks medic No the student is just fine. My issue is my partner likes to put me down in front of students and this gets the students excited for some reason. So when ever i talk they just ignore me or like the other nigh i get sprayed with the hose. my partner is a great partner ran alot together. but he has a your an idiot im a god attitude

Just talk to your partner. At least at the houses i've been at, people generally LIKE each other and if someone does something that offends or just generally is disagreeable to someone else 99% of the time, the person doesn't realize he's being offensive.

The couple of times I've had an issue with what someone said or did, I just asked to have a word with them in private, we went outside, and told him what my issue was, and the other party apologized saying he didn't realize what he was doing was a problem and that it wouldn't happen again.

It's amazing what a calm 2 minute conversation can have on the dynamic between people

3char

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
my partner is a great partner ran alot together. but he has a your an idiot im a god attitude

That's not a partner, that's a supervisor, and not a very good one at that. I'm kinda middle of the road on one of my departments and there are times I take orders, there are times I issue orders, and there are times that i'm on a level field. But even when I'm on scene with 4 other guys who all "out rank" me, they still turn to me and ask "got any ideas?"

Once again, if you guys get along great, then it's likely he just doesn't realize you don't appreciate it. At least when we have riders, the joking and antics die down a little bit, at least until we get a better feel for the rider.

Gymratt

Forum Probie
Several options here imo starting with giving it back to him worse than he gives to you. Embarrass him each and every time he does something like that. However since he is your partner this could cause issues to continue and possibly escalate down the road.

Another option is to take it to management and see if they can offer any solutions.

You can also try to talk to him privately and let him know his show of bravado is not wanted nor appreciated and that you will not tolerate it. If your company doesn't have any policies that prevent you from smoking while washing the truck then I personally would tell him to take a hike(edited for this forum LOL). If he doesn't like it well so sad to bad (once more edited).

The other option would be to request a partner swap if it is that big of an issue. But ignoring it will probably not yield the results that you want. If it was only the two of you and you ignore his attempts at such behavior then perhaps he might just stop after seeing that it does not bother you. But it sounds as if he is doing it for the benefit of the ride along.

Paramedics save lives, Basics save Paramedics.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Who's going to bite?...
ny2anyta.jpg

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I'll be watching this closely. Unless you have something constructive to add, don't take the bait.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Several options here imo starting with giving it back to him worse than he gives to you. Embarrass him each and every time he does something like that. However since he is your partner this could cause issues to continue and possibly escalate down the road.

Another option is to take it to management and see if they can offer any solutions.

You can also try to talk to him privately and let him know his show of bravado is not wanted nor appreciated and that you will not tolerate it. If your company doesn't have any policies that prevent you from smoking while washing the truck then I personally would tell him to take a hike(edited for this forum LOL). If he doesn't like it well so sad to bad (once more edited).

The other option would be to request a partner swap if it is that big of an issue. But ignoring it will probably not yield the results that you want. If it was only the two of you and you ignore his attempts at such behavior then perhaps he might just stop after seeing that it does not bother you. But it sounds as if he is doing it for the benefit of the ride along.

Paramedics save lives, Basics save Paramedics.
Your right, there are several ways to handle this but only a few right ways to. This is one of the things that frustrates me about ems. We scream and cry about being called professionals and making more money... then do stupid crap. If we want to be seen as professionals we need to act like professionals. The right thing to do is have a conversation with the partner in question or talk to a supervisor. The behavior should not be tolerated and it shouldn't (hopefully) get to the point where you have to get a sup involved.

as for the EMS cliche you posted.... I seriously hope you don't believe it. Partners and teamwork save each other......doesn't have the same ring to it though... when you are trying to bash that "paragod" but it is more accurate

burnsmh

Forum Crew Member
As a student if I saw this it would make me uncomfortable and that grin the ride-along had is probably nothing more than a nervous reflex to a situation.

Speaking as a man, I would never take 'poop' from a co-worker regardless of their position. In EMS he is your partner, that makes it even more important. He needs to understand you work WITH him not FOR him. Stand up for yourself man. Now, I'm not saying deck the guy in the face or start a screaming match, but get a little bass in your voice and let him know you aren't going to sit there and take it.

Next time he feels the need to degrade you, don't degrade him back or like I said start anything. Just in a respectful yet stern tone tell him, "I am your partner, you either trust that I know what I am doing or you don't now let me do my job." You will stand up for yourself, he will get the point and the Ride-along will respect you more.

If I saw a guy who is supposed to be teaching me get talked down too all day, I will have very little respect for that person. I will think, "Is this how I am going to be treated if I go into this field or work for this company?" and I am going to feel uncomfortable the whole time and feel like I have to watch my footing.

Just my two cents.

Gymratt

Forum Probie
Medic Tim,, as far as my cliche no I don't believe as you might believe. Let me explain a bit,, having a competent basic partner that you trust and knows what you need without asking is so valuable. I have had basic partners save my rear in more ways than one.

But yes it certainly is a team process and one is as important as the other. I have heard that saying for the last 20 or so years I have been in EMS and find that a good basic can make a average medic look awesome. The other side of that coin is a saying that irritates me, medic points to his patch and says, "patient care" then points to basic patch, "get me there".

But one reason I say this and the main reason is to deal with the paragods of the world. I so often hear people both in and out of EMS belittle basic's and it has always pissed me off. I have corrected more than one nurse, other service medic etc when they refer to them as "my driver" as they are more than a driver and should be shown a bit of respect. I might be the head so to speak on the truck but they are the neck that turns the head and my hats off to all those who hold a lower level than myself!!!

OP
OP
F

fishyfish

Forum Crew Member
As a student if I saw this it would make me uncomfortable and that grin the ride-along had is probably nothing more than a nervous reflex to a situation.

Speaking as a man, I would never take 'poop' from a co-worker regardless of their position. In EMS he is your partner, that makes it even more important. He needs to understand you work WITH him not FOR him. Stand up for yourself man. Now, I'm not saying deck the guy in the face or start a screaming match, but get a little bass in your voice and let him know you aren't going to sit there and take it.

Next time he feels the need to degrade you, don't degrade him back or like I said start anything. Just in a respectful yet stern tone tell him, "I am your partner, you either trust that I know what I am doing or you don't now let me do my job." You will stand up for yourself, he will get the point and the Ride-along will respect you more.

If I saw a guy who is supposed to be teaching me get talked down too all day, I will have very little respect for that person. I will think, "Is this how I am going to be treated if I go into this field or work for this company?" and I am going to feel uncomfortable the whole time and feel like I have to watch my footing.

Just my two cents.

I got this kind of burn out mode when it comes to standing up for myself. In the early Fire days I was very eager ready learn attitude. Dept denied me said my attitude was to aggressive I was taking fire classes ended up having to drop because the dept wouldn't let me on so i had no gear. I was the only guy ever in the history of the class to get denied and everyone just cut me off then turned around and let a kid same age and everything as me just walk on. then they all would stand out back and drink it up. As a kid then for what ever reason it devastated me.. So fast forward a while EMS comes along I'm so greatful about it after that horrible experience in my early days. I just become very mellow "except on calls". So for me im fearful of getting fired so I prefer not to stand up for myself and not say anything about it. However my Boss has told me before Speak up

Novice001

Forum Ride Along
Partners behaviour - Ride along

Firstly, I have to say well done for keeping your cool. If the roles were reversed I wouldn't be as tolerant as you. On the other hand your partner's behaviour was completely unprofessional. It would have been a different story if it was just the two of you, but embarrasing you like that in front of a ride along. Not acceptable in my eyes. If anything I would expect your partner to act more grown up. If I had a ride along and my partner is a BLS I wouldn't take the micky out of them.

What is your ranking qualification and your partner's?

The ride along was only snickering because your partner was egging him/her on. Wait until he actually has to do the job and I doubt he won't be snickering any longer. If anything your partner was showing off. It happens sometimes when the other is of higher rank. I wouldn't be surprised if he's the one who thinks he knows everything.

Anyway, if you do have anymore ride alongs in the future with your partner, good luck!

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
But yes it certainly is a team process and one is as important as the other. I have heard that saying for the last 20 or so years I have been in EMS and find that a good basic can make a average medic look awesome. The other side of that coin is a saying that irritates me, medic points to his patch and says, "patient care" then points to basic patch, "get me there".

That's a really strange way of looking at things. Since usually we run medic-basic or basic-basic, and most basics on one of my departments aren't comfortable with patient care (rural department, we have trouble enough finding people so if they can get pushed through a basic course we can use them as drivers), the medics actually like it when those of us who don't mind being alone in the back are partnered up with them. Since most of our runs are basic runs (even more so now that basics are getting more and more meds like albuterol, narcan, etc) it breaks up the day more when they don't have to just sit in the back for 40 minutes and we can switch out who's driving and who's riding.

Even though I much prefer patient care to driving, I know that on days that we're running basic-basic and we're getting hammered, it's good to have a partner that likes to switch out once in a while just to change things up for the day.

Gymratt

Forum Probie
I only wish that we could swap with someone of lower rank. If the patient is going to any facility on a hospital campus such as a doctors appointment, cancer tx etc then the highest level must always ride. Only units with a medic on board can transport to the ED unless a basic unit is doing a transfer and has to divert. Even then depending on the location a ALS unit might be dispatched to intercept and continue transport to the ED.

The only time you can allow a lower level to ride with the patient is in the case of transport to a home, nursing home, or some other off campus facility or residence. Usually these calls are handled by basic units to begin with so those chances do not come along often.

I do agree with you that sometimes it is nice to put the shoe on the other foot so to speak. Most of our basics would jump at the chance to ride on anything that involves going to the ED. I prefer a basic partner that is not timid and does not melt away into the shadows while on scene. I'm always more than happy to have them perform anything within their scope of practice prior to transport if the situation allows for it.