COVID VACCINE - The Megathread

Would you get the Pfizer vaccine if it were available to you?

• Total voters

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I got mine today. My arms a bit sore and I have some nasal congestion, both of which I get with the flu quad every year.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Now that I've removed a bunch of posts related and responding to personal opinions of the judcial system that were, quite honestly, factually devoid and more of a political commentary than anything else let me remind everyone:

This is not the forum for thar type of commentary. Keep it EMS related, keep it on topic, and be ready to back up your claims without changing the definitions when you get called out on it.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I got mine today. My arms a bit sore and I have some nasal congestion, both of which I get with the flu quad every year.
Someone’s spouse in a class I took the other day said they’d had fevers and tachycardia. So def sounds like (at the least) it’s been attenuated?...

Peak

...I also think back to SARS, MERS, H1N1 and no vaccines for them, as far as I remember, and they all passed away eventually...

We have a vaccine for H1N1, it is included in your annual flu shot. H1N1 is also now endemic which is why it is covered in routine administration. At this point SARS 2 will most likely end up being endemic as well.

SARS 1 and MERS had a different symptom profile which garnered a much different response. The R0 is higher in SARS 2 which lead to a much quicker spread thwarting the initial attempts at isolation. Clinical presentation is also challenging as many patients with SARS 2 have mild clinical symptoms making it difficult to quickly isolate them. The lower R0 and higher acuity presentation of MERS and SARS 1 lead to an effective containment rather that the virus self extinguishing.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
mRNA isn’t being used for the first time either.
That so? What is the distinction between 'first time' and 'new' and 'experimental use' of known agents used for several years (at least) for disease processes other than C-19? I would suggest that mRNA vaccines and use of known agents used in other dz processes are not even in the same zip code.....

Peak

Someone’s spouse in a class I took the other day said they’d had fevers and tachycardia. So def sounds like (at the least) it’s been attenuated?...

We suspect that a large number of staff working on one of our units, myself included, got exposed to COVID 19 in late February/early March. We all tested negative on RVPs but I was coughing and fatigued for over 3 weeks. At the time the same source patient we took care of didn’t meet the criteria for the very limited number of Covid tests available in the state, and it was several months before antibody testing became available to us.

Those of us who were sick back then have had essentially zero symptoms so far after vaccination. Those that weren’t seem to have a lot more chills, fever, fatigue, et cetera.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Girlfriend was never tested for COVID when she was sick back in March with none of the major Covid symptoms. Her hospital offered it back in November and was found to have the antibodies.

I got a positive PCR test when I was sick which was followed by a negative test 2 months later for me to return to work. I have not done any titers.
Why in your opinion would you elect to a vaccine if you have already had the wild type infection? You don’t think your immune system has a better chance at building immunity to a natural pathogen than a synthetic? If you have antibodies already there is no need for a vaccine, especially one with such limitations currently. That’s why I inquired about the titers.

Interested in your thought process.

Last edited:

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Now that I've removed a bunch of posts related and responding to personal opinions of the judcial system that were, quite honestly, factually devoid and more of a political commentary than anything else let me remind everyone:

This is not the forum for thar type of commentary. Keep it EMS related, keep it on topic, and be ready to back up your claims without changing the definitions when you get called out on it.
Good advice for anyone that'll take it...

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
Why in your opinion would you elect to a vaccine if you have already had the wild type infection? You don’t think your immune system has a better chance at building immunity to a natural pathogen than a synthetic? If you have antibodies already there is no need for a vaccine, especially one with such limitations currently. That’s why I inquired about the titers.

Vaccines produce a predictable immune response where natural immunity can vary much more. I just read an article that they estimate 10% of the people who contract covid do not develop a strong immunity. Also note that vaccines are fallible as well. I have a coworker who has had 3 complete rounds of the hepB vaccine and still they do not show immunity.

wtferick

Forum Captain
At the end of the day. They are the scientists and researchers. No point of going back and forth with those who aren’t.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll

While my knowledge of vaccines is extremely limited, many of the infection disease docs that I have met and also major ones online still recommend those who already had COVID to get the vaccine. I don’t have enough education to fully understand it so I do rely on the opinions of those who have spent dozens of years researching this specific topic.

Just because I had a “moderate” presentation of the virus doesn’t mean much. I have a couple of coworkers who had similar symptoms to me when they first got it but ended up in the ED when they got it again. So if I can avoid that, I will gladly do it.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
While my knowledge of vaccines is extremely limited, many of the infection disease docs that I have met and also major ones online still recommend those who already had COVID to get the vaccine. I don’t have enough education to fully understand it so I do rely on the opinions of those who have spent dozens of years researching this specific topic.

Just because I had a “moderate” presentation of the virus doesn’t mean much. I have a couple of coworkers who had similar symptoms to me when they first got it but ended up in the ED when they got it again. So if I can avoid that, I will gladly do it.
Roger that.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmm. Apparently we're getting the Moderna vaccine, not the Pfizer one. Not sure of there's any substantial difference though.

Funny enough they auto scheduled me about 2 hours before my flight is supposed to leave for my vacation. I emailed and got it rescheduled to earlier that day, 9am. Or about an hour after I get off shift. Me and one other guy from my Engine are both scheduled same time, the rest of my crew are also scheduled same day... but they wouldn't let them reschedule to be the same time as well when our Captain tried heh

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Hmm. Apparently we're getting the Moderna vaccine, not the Pfizer one. Not sure of there's any substantial difference though.

Funny enough they auto scheduled me about 2 hours before my flight is supposed to leave for my vacation. I emailed and got it rescheduled to earlier that day, 9am. Or about an hour after I get off shift. Me and one other guy from my Engine are both scheduled same time, the rest of my crew are also scheduled same day... but they wouldn't let them reschedule to be the same time as well when our Captain tried heh
I suspect that the only practical difference is that you'll have a 28 day interval between injections instead of a 21 day interval. Very good on them to reschedule/accommodate you for the flight conflict.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I suspect that the only practical difference is that you'll have a 28 day interval between injections instead of a 21 day interval. Very good on them to reschedule/accommodate you for the flight conflict.
Yeah, they've told us the window for the second dose is anywhere from 28 days later (🤔) to six months after the initial shot.

PotatoMedic

Yeah, they've told us the window for the second dose is anywhere from 28 days later (🤔) to six months after the initial shot.
That's a long window. The Pfizer window is 21-26 days after I believe.

Peak

That's a long window. The Pfizer window is 21-26 days after I believe.

We are doing 17-21 days, although that may be with the primary goal of accelerating disease resistance in critical care staffing

PotatoMedic

Oh yes it is 21 days plus or minus 4

Summit

Critical Crazy
It depends who you ask on the window. Per CDC for Pfizer, it is 17-21, but if you go earlier or later, no additional dosing.

There isn't data on how wide to make the window. Vs other vaccines, a super tight window doesn't make sense.