Coronavirus Discussion Thread

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Yesterday I watched an AMR crew try and staple their N95 back together since they’re only getting 1 a shift. Seems like things are going well out there.
Yeah I’m not sure how we’re supposed to recycle them

Gurby

Forum Asst. Chief
I wonder if you guys believe this is real yet?

My small, rural hospital is absolutely getting smashed, and half of our nurse+physician staff is out on quarantine for possible exposures. We have only had a couple confirmed positive patients so far and it's already a mess. There aren't enough negative pressure rooms to put people in while we rule patients in/out, and donning/doffing PPE every time you need to go into a room really slows down the day when we're already understaffed. I can't imagine what it must look like in NYC where they've essentially tripled their number of cases in 3 days.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I wonder if you guys believe this is real yet?
I hope that there aren't people out there pretending this isn't real.

I transported a symptomatic patient with several immunocompromising diseases already...she went to triage because the the ED is slammed.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I hope that there aren't people out there pretending this isn't real.

I transported a symptomatic patient with several immunocompromising diseases already...she went to triage because the the ED is slammed.

there are plenty of people who believe this is a media scare tactic. The DOH confirmed the first death in PA today and a slew of social media comments were about how “you can’t trust the media”.

all I can do is shake my head.

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
475 people Italy died just today alone.

As of 17:40 EST in NYC there are 1,841 confirmed cases, which is more than 3x the number from just 72 hours ago and 11 deaths in NYC alone.

FiremanMike

Just a dude
there are plenty of people who believe this is a media scare tactic. The DOH confirmed the first death in PA today and a slew of social media comments were about how “you can’t trust the media”.

I believe this is a real pandemic

I also believe the media is intentionally using words to cause what can only be described as a frenzied panic of epic proportions.

As of this morning, there are 200,000 confirmed cases worldwide.. So we can accept that not a lot of people are getting tested, so lets say the number is closer to 2,000,000 infected patients WORLDWIDE, which includes the areas where this disease ran UNCHECKED for 3 months.

That is 2 tenths of 1 percent of the worlds population...

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Anyone changing their airway practices? We are going to the iGel for Covid and full PPE required for any CPR or intubation regardless of situation.
Avoid hi flow 02, CPAP/BIPAP, manual ventilation, RSI everyone, ETT’s only - no LMA’s. Also, all intubations are to be performed by anesthesia personnel wearing a PAPR and full garb whenever possible.

Last edited:

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Well the reality is that you CAN’T trust the media.

the media’s general lack of credibility is why so many folks are so skeptical.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Starting Friday, all restaurants on Oahu will be pickup, curbside, or delivery only

FiremanMike

Just a dude

And for me, it might be the "boy who cried wolf" syndrome.. I've lived in EMS through SARS, H1N1, ebola, swine flu, zika virus, and I'm sure I'm missing a few (started in 1998).. Each of those were going to be crisis pandemics that would kill millions, and each of them panned out to be pretty much nothing like the frenzy.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I think that at least in healthcare, we recognize the seriousness of the situation, but also recognize that the media has also created a panic.

In other news, hadnt seen this posted so in case you havent seen it.
received_199234994736918.jpg

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
Yep, this is why weve been saying its too early to let the mortality rate drive fears.
From the medical head honcho of our NGO cooperative: "To answer all your questions, in a nutshell, we don't know anything. All our data right now involves assumptions, guesses, and close comparisons. Thoroughly tested clinical analysis is weeks, months or even years off. "
So, 90% of our patients.
OUCH.

Seriously, if you wanted to put a serious dent in the infection rate in the US it's quite simple. Trump makes a public announcement that virtually everything he has said about the virus up to a few days ago is misinformation or outright lies.
As long as there are deniers and naysayers we have an active viral pool and he's got millions of head-in-the-sand followers.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I think that at least in healthcare, we recognize the seriousness of the situation, but also recognize that the media has also created a panic.

In other news, hadnt seen this posted so in case you havent seen it. View attachment 4829
This is fantastic. Thank you.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Seriously, if you wanted to put a serious dent in the infection rate in the US it's quite simple. Trump makes a public announcement that virtually everything he has said about the virus up to a few days ago is misinformation or outright lies.
As long as there are deniers and naysayers we have an active viral pool and he's got millions of head-in-the-sand followers.
Will you get off the Trump BS dude. You're trolling!

The discussion of distrust of the severity of this has more to do with the media than the president, as has been discussed here. I promise you, the MAGA people are paying attention to this.

Last edited:

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
This is the Imperial report from 3/16/2020. It's why the tone has changed and politicians are enacting these policies of everything closing down big and small. Can you believe Las Vegas is closed?! It has NEVER happened before. The entire city, as is the rest of NV... Like many other cities...

This research indicates that within 3 months the best likely outcome of this in the US is 1.1-1.2 million dead and 250,000 deaths in the UK. That is if social isolation and closures work. Without all the shut downs in the US we are looking at 4 mil dead and globally 90 mil dead POTENTIALLY.

This is evolving rapidly. I am not so sure it will be the apocalypse the media says, but I think I may find myself retracting my nothing burger statements from last week. Time will tell, and I hope I am wrong. There is a lot of conflicting data out there. There is a lot of unknown out there. There is a lot of speculation out there. And there is a lot of "let's just air on the side of caution" out there....Which is what we are doing.

I don't know that these data will come to fruition, because this is unprecedented in the modern world and no one has a crystal ball. Either way, the economic consequences are going to be devastating even if this turns out to be a nothing burger flu-like-illness or the real reset button.

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
Will you get off the Trump BS dude.
I will certainly avoid any BS. What I stated stands and is a fact. Deniers in red silly hats all over the midwaste.
Do you have a problem with the president fessing up, being honest, and confronting this impending disaster head on? Our ONLY line of defense right now is complete transparency and total cooperation.

Last edited:

FiremanMike

Just a dude
This is the Imperial report from 3/16/2020. It's why the tone has changed and politicians are enacting these policies of everything closing down big and small. Can you believe Las Vegas is closed?! It has NEVER happened before. The entire city, as is the rest of NV... Like many other cities...

This research indicates that within 3 months the best likely outcome of this in the US is 1.1-1.2 million dead and 250,000 deaths in the UK. That is if social isolation and closures work. Without all the shut downs in the US we are looking at 4 mil dead and globally 90 mil dead POTENTIALLY.

This is evolving rapidly. I am not so sure it will be the apocalypse the media says, but I think I may find myself retracting my nothing burger statements from last week. Time will tell, and I hope I am wrong. There is a lot of conflicting data out there. There is a lot of unknown out there. There is a lot of speculation out there. And there is a lot of "let's just air on the side of caution" out there....Which is what we are doing.

I don't know that these data will come to fruition, because this is unprecedented in the modern world and no one has a crystal ball. Either way, the economic consequences are going to be devastating even if this turns out to be a nothing burger flu-like-illness or the real reset button.

On the other hand, the disease ran rampant through China who waited months before reacting and imposing safeguards.. How many total died there in 3 months?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief

Your reality, perhaps. Mine is that it's hard to know whom to trust. Some outlets are more reliable than others, but if it weren't for the presence of independent news media, we'd probably be a captive audience exclusively for government-sponsored propaganda. In my opinion, there are at least as many skeptical folks due to politicians' lack of credibility. And, like the media, some are worse than others.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Let's keep this discussion on topic - Coronavirus. Thanks!

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
So apparently isolation doors are “unnecessary”, per second- line supervisor. And there’s supposed to be no PPE in the cab to prevent cross contamination. So, pray tell, how are we supposed to limit the spread of aerosolized droplets forward from the module to the cab without a hard physical barrier?

@NomadicMedic bro this is why I complain BTW.