Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Please tell me this is WM and not another agency already following suit.

So far I haven't seen any others.

That being said most of our patients are being flown in. The teams are wearing a n95 and goggles, but the same flight suit and jacket they are going to wear out and no gown. They are obsessed with wiping down their equipment, but do nothing to barrier the infectious agent from the clothing that they are wearing for the next 12-24 hours. That has been across every big agency in the region, and several out of state players that fly to us as well.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
I hope that there aren't people out there pretending this isn't real.

I transported a symptomatic patient with several immunocompromising diseases already...she went to triage because the the ED is slammed.

The sad thing is the hugely variable resources and where patients seek to get care. We have had open ED beds for the past two weeks, and haven't had to triage in the waiting room. Because we are canceling elective cases we actually have excess RT, nursing, and medical staff. We are sending our old backup vents to sister hospitals who have been seeing the brunt of the covid patients, and we have many of our new vents sitting in the halls from all of our canceled cases. Meanwhile the county hospital and the U have been on advisory to divert quite a bit.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So far I haven't seen any others.

That being said most of our patients are being flown in. The teams are wearing a n95 and goggles, but the same flight suit and jacket they are going to wear out and no gown. They are obsessed with wiping down their equipment, but do nothing to barrier the infectious agent from the clothing that they are wearing for the next 12-24 hours. That has been across every big agency in the region, and several out of state players that fly to us as well.
Our policy as of right now is that once we get back to base we are to go out of service, decon all equipment/aircraft wearing our PPEs. Once that is done all flight suits get tossed in the washer with hot water and all crew members are to shower. It’s been seeming like the usual out of service time for that has been 4-5 hours.

Phillyrube

Leading Chief
I think that at least in healthcare, we recognize the seriousness of the situation, but also recognize that the media has also created a panic.

In other news, hadnt seen this posted so in case you havent seen it. View attachment 4829

So whats with the "Not Wuhan virus". Im calling it the Wuhan flu, watch a liberals head explode!

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
We no longer will let family ride with us unless absolutely necessary. effective this morning.

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Also, partner who potentially was exposed is now home and originally was "a bit" sick now has a "super bad cough" .

Hopefully it's not the rona.

Not sure if he's been tested or what the deal is.

Last edited:

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
And if the quarantine for the virus (businesses closed, no dining in, etc.) isn't bad enough. Salt Lake City area had a 5.7 earthquake yesterday morning. Nice wake up at 85 miles away.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
On the other hand, the disease ran rampant through China who waited months before reacting and imposing safeguards.. How many total died there in 3 months?
Right. Exactly why I’m not sure what to believe. There are also so many variables between us and China and us and Italy... I find real hard to believe we will fare worse than those nations.

From what I am seeing now, the authorities such as government, hospitals, and most agencies are taking this with seriousness to the extreme.

I liken it to hurricane preparation except on a global scale. So many forecast models, but no one really knows... is that Cat6 unheard of monster going to hit, or is going to track away from making landfall?

For now we best just batten down the hatches.

Last edited:

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
So apparently isolation doors are “unnecessary”, per second- line supervisor. And there’s supposed to be no PPE in the cab to prevent cross contamination. So, pray tell, how are we supposed to limit the spread of aerosolized droplets forward from the module to the cab without a hard physical barrier?

@NomadicMedic bro this is why I complain BTW.
It’s my understanding it is only aerosolized if you do something to make it so. I’m not talking projectile droplets. I’m talking aerosols, so neb treatments, CPAP, intubating, etc.

Guidelines are changing to withhold those interventions unless they are in negative pressure rooms and providers have full and proper PPE.

If you are that worried go get a trash bag and some duct tape to seal off the cab from the back... ghetto yet effective. Go old school.

Last edited:

Summit

Critical Crazy
So apparently isolation doors are “unnecessary”, per second- line supervisor. And there’s supposed to be no PPE in the cab to prevent cross contamination. So, pray tell, how are we supposed to limit the spread of aerosolized droplets forward from the module to the cab without a hard physical barrier?

@NomadicMedic bro this is why I complain BTW.
You should double visqueen barrier the passthrough bewteen the cab and box to isolate the front and max fan in the cab

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
You can also open the window or turn on vents in front and turn on the exhaust fan in the back to create a negative pressure gradient.
(Or so the CDC says)

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
Meanwhile, out in the field... minor trials and tribulations
Change outs and decontamination between patients just isn't going to happen, especially door to door health checks. Resorted to personal spray downs with alcohol. Running out of alcohol. Leaves many resorting to 200 ppm bleach or H2O2 sprays, neither of which is wet enough to have reliable efficacy, and of course, ends up turning you white and ruining your clothes.
And how do you explain pandemic to people where words like paramedic and contagious don't even exist in local language vocabularies?

DragonClaw

Emergency Medical Texan
Greg Abbott closed sitdown resturaunts, bars, taverns, schools, banned visitors in hospitals expect in certain cases. Etc

But, if you buy food, you can get alcohol delivered

RedBlanketRunner

Opheophagus Hannah Cuddler
This virus is as sneaky stealth as it gets. 7-8 days from probably infection to developing symptoms, no nasal congestion, mild sore throat, fever <99.2-3, all about down in the lungs. Now, 12 days later coughing has subsided but is still come and go along with a slight sore throat that might just be caused by the smog. Still have slight lower lung congestion but fluid not present. Test for virus presence not available at this time unless I want to go sit in a crowded waiting room for a few hours.