Can we stop some of these, please ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Bmennig,
You are absolutely right...attitudes of volunteers is different! My husband and I have our roots in the volunteer system. We give what we can whenever we can. Donating CE's costs only a little of our time. It's is our way of saying thanks to those who do so much for little and nothing in return.

bmennig

Forum Crew Member
I agree, not all volunteers are the same. Unfortunately, it is the volunteers and firefighters that lobby and protest against any advances in education and training. Yeah, we have the proof.

It is your division that has caused the opinion of those that take this profession serious enough to make the sacrifice of going and getting a formal education and still working in it for lower wages.. because?... Here we go again.

Yes, there are communities that can't afford EMS and then there are communities that can and will not. It is the determination and priority of how important EMS is to some of those communities.

R/r 911

Rid, while I don't doubt your facts and respect the level of education you have, I can't stand to read about the volunteer bashing. I feel as though the more appropriate way to label the volunteer is to look at the good they are doing across the county as compared to the bad and to go after those whom feel that education is not the most paramount a thing to do and sway their opinion. In my small community, Taxes are high enough. If we were to have paid BLS or ALS, the taxes would have to increase and I know that would go over like a fart in church, especially with the amount of jobs and revenue lost in today's economy, people couldn't afford it. While I agree that the basic EMT class is nothing more than an advanced first aide class, it will at least give those that want to help a chance and those that are thinking about it as a career, an opportunity to do so. If one feels as though they want to go be a Paramedic, PHRN, RN, Doctor and becoming an EMT gave them insight on what it's like, than an EMT class did it's job. For those that want to remain at the EMT level, the class did its job as well. The volunteer vs paid argument will continue to fester and both sides will continue to have a good debate. In my opinion, Volunteer's play a vital role in today's society.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Why does everyone assume that the funding has to be "tax" based? My service is a third party (non-profit) trust service and only recieves about $150,000 a year from taxes. In comparison of the size and population that is squat. We cover small communities that have raised their water bill to maintain our services (again, priorities) and yes we have an effective billing and collection services that have > 85% collections (which is remarkable).

Fortunately, we have a concerned and well educated administration and board that (we) continuously monitor Medicare and Insurance billing procedures and reimbursements. We are also very careful not to ever "gouge" or take chances and as QI director I can assure you everything that is performed and documented. So yes, one can do it right and be reimbursed properly, but it is a continuous job.

With that saying, we maintain a "rainy day" fund that we can operate 380 days without receiving another payment (in the black). Again, it can be done with good management techniques and good documentation and coders

The "tax" money is used to purchase 1 truck per year and placed in the rotation of the two to three purchased. We NEVER depend upon the tax base as we realize it is a burden for those that do not use EMS and gives a negative connotation.

I bet if one really investigated, they will see that they have poor collections and billing, are not aware of programs within their state alike trauma funding, and more.

Are all communities able to provide their own EMS? No. Neither are they for hospitals, ball parks, and more .. part of reality; but have they attempted to contract out or consolidate?

We are absorbing small communities because it is cheaper to pay us a nominal fee and for us to place a unit in the community and bill the patient. It guarantees a well stocked critical care unit with a Paramedic 24/7 (maybe even 2). Small communities are going to have to realize that they may have to consolidate in lieu of having "their own". Which would be better .. your name on the unit or no unit?

We do not have many volunteer EMS (very few paid FD/EMS) in my state. Volunteer Fire Departments that offer first response but again very few EMS. We do have several great volunteer Fire MFR and use them daily but the public is quite aware of the difference between first response and professional care. As well, it is working relationship. Your volunteer(s) are only as good as they want to be and what education is provided. I am the first to recognize that there are regions that will probably will never have a paid service, but the patients still demand the same care as one's that receive a check.

EMS is not a stagnant thing. It needs to be explored with options and developments. One should never keep their head in the sand while being involved, there are too many options.

Last edited by a moderator:

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Wow..the public is quite aware of the difference between first response and professional care? Stunning!

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Wow..the public is quite aware of the difference between first response and professional care? Stunning!

As I stated in another post, in some communities and states, the public is very aware since these issues appear on the ballot and healthcare is a big concern now in this country.

As well, many areas have citizens and tourists from other countries where their EMS is very advanced. Most would be or they are very shocked to learn what "BLS" is here in the U.S and that this is what is responding to "provide care" in some areas.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Basics are professionals, albeit at a lower level of capabilities.

Knowing what would be a perfect world does not make it a reality. What is reality; we are a nation of some big metropolitan areas with a whole lotta land in between. Everything it good time. ALS will spread but, not over night. It is growing and will continue to do so. Until such time that ALS is mandatory, we have to remember what we're here for and work on how best to work with what we do have, including each other. Some back door Basic is not experienced enough in what is actually out there to be judging who is and is not valuable to the system. Doesn't matter how many super special positions or degrees he/she "might" hold. Seems it's always those who never really worked the road that have the most negative to say.

Also, the world has room to talk. A good many countries don't have much in the way of health care at all EXCEPT what the U.S. volunteers at U.S. tax payers expense. Of course they want us to improve...to them more IS better because it's free. God knows their own governments won't provide for them and apparently many countries won't help themselves. Again, it's the volunteers that come to the rescue.

The original post asked for a little respect and I think we owe that much is all. I worked very little as a Basic EMT yet, I know the vital role they play in our system.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Again, it's the volunteers that come to the rescue.

Those volunteers are usually not EMT-Bs but rather highly trained/educated professionals who often end up establishing and funding the programs out of their own pockets which can be very expensive. As well, many also return take some educational program to receive the additional training they need to provide care even if they seem to be maxed on degrees and experience in many areas. They also do not make the assumption that what they have to offer will always be appropriate.

There are also many countries that are way ahead of the U.S. in EMS and other healthcare areas. Our infant mortality rate is definitely higher than several other countries. As well, our system does not provide for preventitive healthcare which also attributes for our very embarrassing stats with heart disease.

The large number of uninsured in this country is just mind boggling and that some children in the U.S. can not get appropriate health is a very, very sad statement for U.S. healthcare.

So before criticizing another country's system, take a good look our own.

atropine

Forum Captain

I know crazy, when I worked in god for saken Tulsa, people just thought we were the ambulance and the paramedics were on the TFD fire trucks.:rolleyes:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
When US EMS education moves out of the dark ages perhaps we will find less fault and reason to pick holes in it.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Sadly, small towns can't afford paid ALS or even BLS. I know my town can't. So before you put the blame on volunteer's, take into consideration why we're still in existance.

Allow me to reiterate this because you cut it out of my post when you quoted me...

TWO ALS CALLS PER 24 HOUR PERIOD WHERE YOU TRANSPORT WILL PLAY FOR YOUR TRUCK.

NBfire841

Forum Probie
I deal with govt grants in a non EMS setting. With our grants we can only use the funding for one purpose. If we don't use the funding for what it is meant for and spend it say on payroll we would be required to repay the grant monies not used for the specified purpose. So with these municipalities who do buy new ambulances once a year with grant monies if they spent it on wages they would in all probability have to repay in full the grant monies spent on the items not covered by the grant instead of what the grant is for new ambulances.

So... all they have to do is apply for the grant specifically for payroll purposes

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I know crazy, when I worked in god for saken Tulsa, people just thought we were the ambulance and the paramedics were on the TFD fire trucks.:rolleyes:

Well, that is what you have for the same medical director and wearing badges.

R/r 911

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
This thread has run its course.

lock.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.